Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Affordable Accomodation in Barcelona & San Sebastian

Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 05:11 PM
Original Poster

I will be travelling to Barcelona and San Sebastian this summer. I have yet to find a good place to stay in either city, so I am hoping someone can offer their advice or recommendations. Basically, my budget is about 65 Euros/night (hopefully less!), and I will be travelling with one other person, so we need a double room, and would prefer to have a private bathroom. We're hoping to stay near the Ramblas or Placa Catalunya area in Barcelona, and the Parte Vieja in San Sebastian. I am open to all suggestions (hotels, hostels, pensions, etc.)
Thank you!
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 05:27 PM

In Barcelona, try the Hotel Gran Via. We stayed there four years ago and really enjoyed it. It's only about two blocks from Plaça de Catalunya. It is probably a little (10-15 euros) over your budget of 65 euros but check with them; maybe they'll have something available near your budget.

Phone/Fax/Address at website below...

http://www.travelintelligence.net/ws...htls_1438.html
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 05:52 PM

candyqueen,
As capo suggests, the Hotel Gran Vía is a popular budget choice, but it's up to the 100 euro mark, I think, now. It's really much tougher in Barcelona to find lodging for 65 euros. In June doubles at the Hostal Palacios on the Rambla de Catalunya in the Eixample, near the Placa de Catalunya go for 81-95 but singles are in your price range.
www.hostalpalacios.com

In San Sebastiàn, if you'll be there BEFORE July 1, I would definitely consider the Hostal Alemana. It has a/c, is scrupulously tidy, friendly, with private baths and a nice breakfast room overlooking the beach and a simply great location within 1 1/2 blocks of La Concha beach.
www.hostalalemana.com
The Parte Vieja can be a very noisy location, but look at the offerings of this "hostal" group in San Sebastián:
www.pensionesconencanto.com

One member of this group, the Hostal Ixtasoa, is in the Parte Vieja, and some rooms have balconies and sea views.
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 06:03 PM

In San Sebastian, I found a number reasonably priced places in suburbs. Not exactly where I wanted to be but fit my budget and met a lot locals. Try off to the left of the road leading up to the mountain overlooking the harbor. [old mind doesn't work too well!]
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 06:14 PM

I second the recommendation for Hostel Alemana in San Sebastian. It was the best find on our most recent European trip.

Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 08:46 PM
Original Poster

I'll be in Barcelona from August 2-5 and San Sebastian from August 8-11, if that helps... I know most hotels have "seasonal" pricing, so I'll be there in high season..
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 10:34 PM

Hostal Alemana is 60E to 85E a double with breakfast at E4,50.

I have used the Hostal Larrea on the first floor at at Narrika 21 which is E39 a double and a nice place. I could find the phone number on the Net if you are interested.

Harzer
Old Mar 4th, 2004, 04:24 PM
Original Poster

Has anyone stayed at Hostal San Remo? They quoted a price of 58 Euro/night for a double room, with private bath, A/C and balcony. Sounds like a good deal to me and they located about 2 blocks from Placa Catalunya. (www.hostalsanremo.com) Any opinions?? Thanks...
Old Mar 4th, 2004, 05:23 PM

Check out Bancotel.com and Petrabax.com--you might be able to come up with some good values there.
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 03:43 PM

candyqueen,
In San Sebastián, the Bancotel properties are closed to coupons during the high season (Aug.) except for the very pricey, lux Maria Cristina, *sometimes* available for 150 euros, and the NH Aranzazu, which requires two coupons, 100 euros, but isn't often available in Aug. I checked for your dates this year and nothing is currently available in S.S.

I checked Bancotel for your dates for Barcelona, and the 3 star Regencia Colón in the Barri Gotic is available for 50 euros (1 bancotel coupon) per night. But you must buy the coupons from Bancotel in booklets of 5. Petrabax sells them individually, but adds on a $25 shipping fee.

I've never seen the Hostal San Remo. But here's the description from Sandra Gustafson's "Cheap Sleeps in Spain":

"Another family run choice just far enough off tourist central to keep it quiet and unknown. It's owned by Señora Rosa, who redid the rooms when she bought it about 3 years ago. Now they all have central heating, a/c, double-glazed windows, tv and nice bathrooms, which are a real bonus for a Cheap Sleep at this price. #4 is a sweet twin with a balcony, view, and the original tile floor still in place. Another twin, #7, is equally nice and has a balcony but not much view. the only room I would absolutely refuse is the airless, windowless cubicle next to reception that is marked with a P; it is in reality nothing more than a closet...Very limited English spoken. Free office safe, lift, desk open 8 a.m.-11 p.. Breakfast not served. Accepts c.c. but prefers cash."

Hope this helps.

Old Mar 5th, 2004, 03:58 PM

HI - I have a reservation in Hostel Barbieri. It is really cheap and comes recommended from various sources. We have our own room. Barbieri is located just a few meters from the famous Puerta del Sol.

They have included breakfast in their price. You can do a search on Barbieri in Google. We are paying about $44 per night.
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 07:10 PM

Hi candyqueen,

We stayed at the Hostal Girona in Barcelona in January & paid 50 euro for an exterior double room with balcony. The room was simply furnished but spacious & clean & the Hostal itself is well situated, just a few blocks from the Placa Catlunya. If you click on my name above you'll find my trip report with more details.

Jim
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 02:13 AM

im in barcelona now (currently researching san sebastian). we stayed at hostal girona for threee nights and are staying at hostal goya tonight. hostal girona was good (very clean) BUT, the rooms are tiny and incredibly dark. i did follow JJ's advice and asked for an exterior room when we booked (and it was confirmed), but alas we were in an interior room and it was almost completely dark, which made it very very difficult to get up in the morning! our room at hostal g oya is closer, as clean, and huge. it's about 15 euros more expensive, but i consider this worth it. also, how tall are you and your companion? the bed at hostal goya is tiny and a little uncomfortable. but if you cant afford anywhere else, girona is a great location and clean...
enjoy! ill post my trip report when i get home to aus...
hels
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 03:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies... I decided to go with Hostal San Remo.. It's got a good location for a price of only 58 Euros/night..

Hells - My travelling companion and I are both tall (I'm just under 6' and he is just over) so the beds at the Goya would probably be quite small.
Let me know where you decide to stay in San Sebastian.. we were thinking we may increase our budget a bit there just to splurge a bit on a nicer place.