Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Affordable 1 year French courses in France? Recommendations?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2017, 05:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, I'm strongly considering studying and living in France for a year. So I wanted to gather as much information as possible to see if I could do this.

First of all, where should I start searching for French courses? How much do they cost? I don't really have a geographical preference, but I do think anything outside of Paris would be very nice.

Second, I know this is hard but could it be possible I could get a job? I'm thinking of part time jobs, like pubs and stuff like that, but I really don't know a lot more. If I'm living for a year in another country, I'd defenetly want to find a job, anything that would give me some income.

Btw, I have a French gf, so I might be living with her in an apartment or something like that.
Old Feb 28th, 2017, 05:31 AM

You need a special visa to be in France for more than the 90 days you're allowed. You'll have to apply for it at the French Embassy. You can't work unless you have a work visa, and for that you'll have to have a job lined up. It will involve a lot of paperwork, like everything in France. Nobody in the French bureaucracy will care that you have a French gf - it's irrelevant.

You can google for French courses. They exist all over the country, but you need to organize your visa first. If you manage to get enrolled in a French course, perhaps getting a long-term visa will be easier, as your school can do the paperwork for you.

The word is "definitely," btw.
Old Feb 28th, 2017, 05:43 AM
Original Poster

I know that French government won't give a toss about my gf.. I was just mentioning regarding to accommodations in France.
And my bad for that mistake!

I've read and heard that getting a job in France is quite hard, specially for foreigners.
Old Feb 28th, 2017, 06:05 AM

Of course it's hard to get a job. Look at the unemployment rates in France. And why would anyone employ a foreigner when there are loads of available French citizens to work? When dealing with the French bureaucracy, it's always wise to have a clear head and a penchant for endless paperwork (in French).
Old Feb 28th, 2017, 06:40 AM

You need to separate topics.

First, getting a student visa has certain requirements which you can easily find on the French Immigration website.

If you get a student visa, you are allowed to work.
http://www.campusfrance.org/en/page/...g-your-studies

Finding work is an entirely different topic. What are you qualified to do? Presumably you are not fluent in French already so that will limit you. It's fine you say you are willing to work in a bar and 'stuff like that', but who will want to hire you for 'stuff like that'? Any young French person could do that job, what have you got to offer that they don't?

When you read that it is hard to find work and especially for foreigners, that's true if you have no qualifications anyone would want to hire you for.

The unemployment rate among young people 18-24 in France is over 25% right now. Without any real skills, you are number 26.

Anything is possible but not everything is probable. Having a French girlfriend and a wish to live in France, doesn't mean a thing.
Old Feb 28th, 2017, 07:33 AM
Original Poster

I reckon that not speaking French will really hold me back. I'm currently a law student, and I'm working at the courts of justice. Other than that I speak Spanish as my first language, and English as my second.

And again, yes, I know very well that having a French gf and a wish to live in France won't help me get a job there, or anything really. But to make things clear, I really only want to learn French, and I think that living in France for a while is the best way to go. Not that I want to live forever in France. At least not right now.

So getting a job isnt essential, and right now I'm thinking that maybe a year might be too much, after researching about jobs in France. Perhaps a 6 month program, or a summer course.

Anyhow, back on the French courses topic, any personal references? Recommendations?
Old Feb 28th, 2017, 08:32 AM

What passport will you be traveling on?
Old Feb 28th, 2017, 08:46 AM

Why don't you ask your gf ?
She is there, she can ask around. I guess you don't want to study 500 kms away from your gf, do you ?

Au fait, nous n'utilisons que très peu les abbréviations en France. gf, btw are not really used.

We say 'je vais pieuter chez ma gonzesse, donc no problemo pour pioncer.'
Old Feb 28th, 2017, 09:51 AM
Original Poster

I'm Costa Rican.

Well, I kinda wanna research first on my own. We have talked a bit about studying in France but she really doesn't know much about French courses and where could I take them. Apart from telling me that she'd like if I lived in France with her, and I understand that. But first things first, I gotta learn French, and currently I just don't see it happening here in my country. Between job/study I just don't have time. So getting away for some time to study French is what I want.

I've read that public university's are cheap, but I'm assuming those are really hard to get into.

And by the way, She's coming over in summer to live in Costa Rica with me, for some months. So I'm thinking maybe next year I could go to France. So basically, I've got time.
Old Feb 28th, 2017, 10:05 AM

Sounds like, considering all your circumstances, you have a lot of reading and research to do. I don't know that the best place to find answers to your questions is on a forum of this type.

On line courses in French? Books/CD DVD Programs to teach yourself French? French Visa requirements for citizens of Costa Rica?

You have work to do. Good luck.
Old Feb 28th, 2017, 01:15 PM
Original Poster

Ah well. Did see other similar questions so I figured why not? But anyhow thanks for your help, much appreciated.
Old Mar 1st, 2017, 12:48 AM

You have to define "affordable".
If you want to live outside of Paris, you might investigate immersion courses in Tours. They are not cheap.
Alliance Francaise is normally the go-to immersion course in Paris and in other cities. They might be "affordable".

You won't be able to get a job that pays you anything like a living wage - not as a bartender, waiter, dishwasher or anything else. If you can line up a job with a contract before you arrive in France, and have a work visa in hand, you still might starve to death.

Girlfriends might not be a "forever" situation.
Just sayin'...