Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   aer lingus or other airline?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/aer-lingus-or-other-airline-671633/)

aprilmay Jan 18th, 2007 10:02 PM

aer lingus or other airline??

Aer Lingus to fly or choose another airline?? Have not decided if it is better to book on AerLIngus or fly American or Delta.. Comfort?? input please...

Subright04 Jan 19th, 2007 05:06 AM

I am flying on Aer Lingus when I go to Ireland in April. Most of the flights I tired to find on Delta, AA etc were not direct flights from Boston (where I am leaving from), Air Lingus is direct. I have also heard good things about Aer Lingus, know several people who have flown them before. I bought my ticket when they were having a sale and it beat American Airline prices by like $100.

wally34949 Jan 19th, 2007 06:05 AM

I don't think you will find much difference in Aer Lingus, American or Delta. The things to look for are Price, Directness of the flight, and Frequent Flyer Miles.

Susan56 Jan 19th, 2007 07:05 AM

My husband and I fly Aer Lingus to Dublin and back this past weekend. The flights were fine and non-eventful. (as much as one can ask!) As for comfort - we fly coach and not much is comfortable in coach! But that being said, the flights were fine and on time and the flight crew was very nice as well.

Susan

Itallian_Chauffer Jan 21st, 2007 01:16 PM

AA flies 757's out to Ireland (seat configuration is 3 and 3). Aer Lingus flies A320 varieant and Delta usually has a 767. Both have a four or five seat center section plus two side sections with 2 seats (one of them MIGHT be a 2-4-3?).
Price notwithstanding, given the tendancy to overbook/fully book, I would opt to book two seats in the two seat row.
Check out www.seatguru.com for specifics.
Bob

Gardyloo Jan 21st, 2007 01:37 PM

<i>AA flies 757's out to Ireland</i>

Not any more.

jefe Jan 21st, 2007 06:22 PM

We're flying AA this May. Aer Lingus was fine when we went in 2004, so we'll see how AA compares.

To expand on what Gardyloo mentions -- at least as far as ORD is concered -- AA is flying 767's to/from DUB, but according to their site (and my open jaw reservation) they use 757's to/from SNN

Itallian_Chauffer Jan 22nd, 2007 04:37 AM

Also, according to a search done last night, using my proposed June dates, AA flights out of JFK and BOS are on A330's 'operated by Aer Lingus'.
I've flown Delta, Continental (also 757), AA, British Airways and Aer Lingus into Ireland. Cann't say that any particular airline had a clear advantage on either comfort OR service, although we once flew an under-booked Continental into Shannon, where my wife and I each ended up in a row by ourselves and folded up the armrests to 'stretch out' (curl up?)across the three seats and actually sleep! I think that was 2003. It was a pleasant suprise, but I doubt I'll see THAT happen again.

Many airlines will fly into SNN, then 'hop' to DUB one day, then reverse the order (into DUB - 'hop' to SNN)the NEXT. Keep an eye on the number of stops ...

Bob

rkkwan Jan 22nd, 2007 06:16 AM

Ireland still has some requirements for carriers to operate the same amount of flights to SNN and DUB. That's why you will see some of those one-stop flights.

On Continental, they have a daily EWR-DUB, a daily EWR-SNN, and then they have a EWR-DUB-SNN-EWR loop.

Right now, all 757, but during the upcoming summer, the EWR-DUB goes to a 767-200.

JOHNOD Jan 22nd, 2007 07:38 AM

Much like Bob I have flown AA, Continental, US Air and Aer Lingus and my only problem with Aer lingus is that on two occasions they flew me into the wrong airport because of their equipment problems. Both times they put us into taxi cabs at their expense but a three hour taxi ride from Baltimore to North Jersey was not alot of fun. Question for Rkkwn. I am booked on Continental, EWR to SNN the third week of June this year, what make you think they will switch to a 767? I hope your right as the 757 is my least favorite plane.

wally34949 Jan 22nd, 2007 07:43 AM

Jefe:

Be sure to bring $5 bills for wine and spirits and don't forget to &quot;USE THE BATHROOM IN YOUR TICKETED CABIN!!!&quot;

rkkwan Jan 22nd, 2007 07:46 AM

JOHNOD - Only the EWR-DUB goes to 762. SNN will only get 752.

jefe Jan 22nd, 2007 05:51 PM

wally34949:

Heh - yeah. At least I get dinner. Now, the question is, do I want it?!? ;-)

aprilmay Jan 22nd, 2007 09:18 PM

thanks for the input- layover time to go thru customs coming back- is 2 hours long enough??

JOHNOD Jan 23rd, 2007 06:28 AM

Just a note for anyone considering booking on Aer Lingus this winter or Spring. Aer Lingus is in the process of becoming a private company and staff in being forced to accept pay and benifit cuts with the threat of layoffs if they don't accept. This of course is triggeriing threats of strikes. Visit the Irish Independant website for details. Its on the front page so you can read it with signing in.

CAPH52 Jan 23rd, 2007 08:11 AM

Thanks very much for that warning, JOHNOD! I recently purchased tickets on AA for late March/early April. But my daughter is about to buy hers to leave in February, return in June. She's thinking about one way as she's still not sure exactly when she'll return. And was planning to go with Aer Lingus because they were about $20 cheaper. Sounds like she may be better off going with AA.

My brother got stuck a few years back when Aer Lingus went on strike a couple of days before he and his girlfriend were due to leave.

Interesting side note; as I mentioned, my daughter's tickets would be slightly cheaper on Aer Lingus. But when I put my dates in their web site, it came up $350 higher than I'd already paid on AA!