Aer Lingus charging for booze?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2nd, 2004, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was just at their website looking at our seats. (We are in the tail, so our luggage might be on the belt by the time we get off the plane, gotta look at the bright side!) Anyway, I noticed that they say they provide non-alcoholic drinks with the meals but charge for alcohol. Has anyone flown with them lately who can verify this? (I am not drinking on this flight to see if it helps my RLS, but DH likes his free beer!)
Old Oct 2nd, 2004, 02:06 PM

No free beer on Aer Lingus, unless they've changed since this past June. Have a nice trip.
Old Oct 2nd, 2004, 03:13 PM

Yeah, and the prices are outrageous: $4.00 US for a 12 oz. can of beer.

Because of the early check-in requirement and the fact that you don't get anything to eat on the plane until around 10:00 PM, I take a sandwich and a few cold cans of beer to the departure gate. Some people looked at me jealously as I was working on a corned beef sandwich and a can of beer; I told them it was my 'tailgate party.'
Old Oct 2nd, 2004, 03:47 PM
Original Poster

Nedsireland, that is a good idea! I guess we will stick a 6-pack in the carry with some freezer packs for our pre-flight party. I think we paid $5 for a beer in a little "pub" in Logan last February! That's funny, I never really knew what time they served dinner on the flight; I try not to look at my watch because the flight would be interminable...

Budman, what do you do that you can take two trips to Europe in a year? (Oh, wait, did you answer that on another thread?!)
Old Oct 2nd, 2004, 05:26 PM

Last month when our return flight Dublin-BWI was delayed 3 1/2 hours, (of which we spent 2 hrs on the plane then another 1 1/2 back in the airport) they gave us a 4-euro voucher for the airport and one free drink when we re-boarded. After that, drinks were 4 euro, 5 dollars. They probably have rules about the 6-pack in the carry-on, too.
Have fun!
Old Oct 3rd, 2004, 04:28 AM

For the past few years I've been doing what NedsIreland does, for domestic and international flights. You have so much time wasted in airports and the prices are so outrageous in the restaurants that a brown bag is the only way to go. When I have to buy something, like in Logan a couple of months ago, it is disgusting. It cost about $12 for a beer and a slice of something they called pizza.
Old Oct 3rd, 2004, 04:48 AM

We've started bring our own food because you never know what you're going to get, especially on a long international flight.

I would think you could get into trouble bringing and drinking your own alcoholic beverages in the terminal -- probably a violation of local ABC laws. One would have to be very discrete. You are certainly not allowed to drink your own alcohol on board flights. I would hate to attempt it, get caught, and get cuffed at my destination.
Old Oct 3rd, 2004, 01:17 PM

Budman writes: "I would think you could get into trouble bringing and drinking your own alcoholic beverages in the terminal -- probably a violation of local ABC laws. One would have to be very discrete."

I have done this at Newark Intn'l. at Philadelphia Intn'l and at Baltimore Washington Intn'l: Never has a problem. As for local ABC laws, I don't know if they apply once you are in the Departure lounge (at the Gate).
Old Oct 3rd, 2004, 01:38 PM

Budman:

I've no idea what ABC laws are. No doubt they're part of the remorseless determination of America's bureaucrats to force its citizens (aka their paymasters) to behave like serfs. You know, like those laws that stop people from travelling where they want to travel to, or from buying the products of your next door neighbour.

But, whatever they are, they don't apply in free societies. So, should you "break" them on an Irish airline, you'll be delighted to learn that the Irish aren't going to handcuff you when you arrive.

Once you're on an Irish plane, only Irish laws apply.
Old Oct 3rd, 2004, 04:31 PM

ABC laws are alcoholic beverage commission laws and regulations. Every state has it's own, in obvious but (unenforced) violation of Article 1. Section 8 of the United States Constitution which gives to Congress the power to regulate commerce with foreign nations and between the states.

When you are on the plane I do not know whose rules you must follow on this score, or what the penalty would be if the pilot came back and saw you drinking from your own source.

Old Oct 4th, 2004, 12:42 AM

And we all know that "free" countries like the UK have never banned books or anything crazy like that.

It's a little sad that someone can't go without beer for a few hours.
Old Oct 4th, 2004, 02:05 AM

NEDSIRELAND, it's never a problem if you're not caught.
Old Oct 4th, 2004, 08:54 AM

Flanneruk's eloquent trashing of the the American bureaucrats is a nice read, but a debate on who lives in the most free society is a waste of time. A couple years back, angry debates over the airlines canceling free drinks and some free food were waged with much vigor. Generally, Aer Lingus tends to charge a couple $100+ less to fly them than most of the major airlines, (unless you happen to catch a great sale) so $4-5 for a beer doesn't seem too bad unless you drink 20-25 and end up losing the discount. I would say that if the website says you have to pay, then you should come with some cash in your pocket.

On the taking beer with you, I have a friend that is a beer geek (I'm a beer snob, have not yet graduated to high geekness yet) and he takes beer with him on the plane when he travels to Florida because good microbrews are hard to find. He has never had a problem, though I don't think he pops one open on board. These are bottles mind you and thus very heavy. I believe that he announces that to the inspectors.

It seems like a lot of work to take beer with you to the airport departure gate. I would think that unless you are drinking a fine porter or stout (and depending on how far you traveled to the port and what temperature the beer started at), the temperature of the beer would have risen to slightly less than palatable and if an American lager ... well there is a reason they serve them ice cold ... so that your taste buds freeze and you can't taste them. BTW, I'd like to be nominated for the worst run on sentence of the day.

I'm also curious about what people who bring beer with them do when and if they have long layovers. Surely that beer that they tucked in their backpack at 7:30 that morning isn't still something that the would want to drink at 3:00 in the afetrnoon or so.

OK, enough of this. Bring some cash and have hubby buy the beer allison and have a GREAT trip!!

Bill
Old Oct 4th, 2004, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

Well, DH is amenable to forking over the cash if he wants a beer or two, so we're okay with this new policy! I have never had a problem flying Aer Lingus and certainly don't want to cause any by popping open a semi-cold can on the plane! We do carry bottled water with us, hope that is okay with everyone!
Old Oct 4th, 2004, 09:12 AM

Interesting.. I thought it was still only the US carriers that were charging for drinks, now.

I've brought nips on board Icelandair, but I'm 99.99% sure it's pretty much illegal to drink your own alcohol on any flight. A lot of airlines even mention this when they're announcing the cost of drinks.
Old Oct 4th, 2004, 10:10 AM

FYI - As many of you know, American Airlines is a partner of Aer Lingus, and we booked our air to Ireland thru them but flying on an Aer Lingus plane. Having a few leftover drink tickets from AA, I thought I might be set for the trip. When I inquired to Aer Lingus, however, they informed me that they do not accept AA's drink coupons.

I'm bringing the much appreciated exact change instead.
Old Oct 4th, 2004, 04:06 PM

You've got my vote, Bill!

I live in Philadelphia. Over the past 2-years I have flown Continental EWR-SNN, US Airways PHL-SNN & Aer Lingus BAL-SNN. I have also flown Continental EWR-DUB. It all depends on which airline has the best 'deal.'

It's no problem for me to keep a few cans of beer in an insulated bag, cold, in the 2-hours or less that it takes me to travel to any of thise departure points.

To clear things up for Budman: I don't carry any sandwiches or drinks aboard the flight. I consume them in the waiting area at the departure gate. I do it discretly, using a 'Continental Airlines' styrofoam 'can holder' to hold the can of beer I am 'working on.'

I don't sit in view of the Bars at the airport (the only people who might have an interest in my bringing my own beer rather than buying it from them). I have seen a lot of people taking their drinks from an airport bar and carrying them to the place in the waiting area where their traveling companions are seated watching TV or whatever.

I think the charge is 'loitering' if someone gets picked up in town by Police for drinking in public. I don't know what they would charge me with if someone were to detain me in a waiting area at the airport. The guy seated next to me may have bought his drink at the bar. Does he get detained, also?

If it's illegal, so be it. I don't plan to change my travelling behavior.