Cinque Terre Card

Search

Cinque Terre Card

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16th, 2016, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cinque Terre Card

My husband and I will be spending 3 nights in Riomaggiore in September. We want to see the other towns of Cinque Terre and are thinking about hiking one day to some of the towns and probably taking the train to the northern most towns the other day. Is the two-day Cinque Terre Card Train worth the 29 euros or should we just buy the two-day Cinque Terre Card for 14.50 euros that doesn't include the unlimited train travel?
Old Aug 16th, 2016, 12:06 PM

I'm a big fan of unlimited travel passes. That way, if I get off at one stop and change my mind and decide I want to go somewhere else or need to go back in the other direction or something, I don't have to think about buying another train ticket.

In your case, you'll be taking at least a train to Corniglia because the two trails between Riomaggiore and Manarola and Manarola and Corniglia are still closed, as I understand. And you'll be taking a train back later in that day, right? (Unless you take a boat.) If you can get away with taking the train only twice, maybe you'll save a few euros, but is it worth worrying about? Not to me.

Enjoy Riomaggiore! I didn't stay overnight there, but I enjoyed stopping there a few times on my two visits to the CT. One day for lunch I grabbed a couple of slices of focaccia bread pizza (amazing!) in town then sat and ate it in the town square, which is near an elementary school. I could hear kids singing in the music class, and occasionally locals would come and sit in the square, but there were few tourists. (But mobs of tourists elsewhere - just not many in the square.) I have a picture of Riomaggiore on my wall at home.
Old Aug 16th, 2016, 04:06 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Use the bathrooms in restaurants if you can. Not a fan of the train hole. If you decide to do the ferry just beware the returns are limited after 3. I had a meltdown. 25 euro and couldn't get back so took the train. It was pretty from the water though. Hope you get to hike. Slippery when wet and take two bottles of water.
Old Aug 22nd, 2016, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the helpful tips!
Old Aug 22nd, 2016, 09:45 AM

Keep in mind that only part of the trails that connect the villages are open:

From the savevernazza website:

Many people are interested in hiking the Coastal Trail that connects the five villages when they visit the Cinque Terre National Park:
Riomaggiore – Manarola “Via dell’amore”: The first part of the Via dell’Amore (from the Manarola train station to the bar) reopened on April 3, 2015. Work on the Riomaggiore section is still in progress therefore closed to the public.

Manarola – Corniglia : CLOSED
Corniglia -Vernazza: OPEN
Vernazza – Monterosso: OPEN