Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Aegean or British air for one leg of trip?

Jan 12th, 2010, 04:10 PM
Original Poster

I have a choice to make for a flight in March. I will be leaving Athens and returning home to Newark Airport with a four hour layover in Heathrow. I could take either Aegean or British Airways for the leg from Athens to London for the same price and nearly identical flight time layover and time of day. The booking is through Continental.

I read on this forum that Aegean was problematic in the past, but it has recovered. I hear complaints about British Airways but don't know how to interpret them.

Any suggestions?
Many thanks,
Baz
Jan 12th, 2010, 06:58 PM

We flew British Air from Heathrow to Athens and it was on time (actually a few minutes ahead of schedule) and it was a very nice flight. This was 2 years ago. On the same trip, we flew Aegean round trip Athens-Santorini-Athens. Very nice plane and crew. No problems. Sounds like a toss-up to me.
Jan 12th, 2010, 10:30 PM

Aegean Airlines has one of the best performance records in Europe.
Jan 12th, 2010, 11:07 PM

All other things being equal, Aegean.

They share a terminal with Continental - and it's the terminal with the least frequent connections to the others. So using them is one less opportunity for something to go wrong.
Jan 13th, 2010, 12:30 AM

Many times I've sat in Athens Airport hearing announcements about late BA flights. I don't know of any problems in the past with Aegean Airlines - like BLL wrote, they have an excellent record. I had four flights between London and Athens with them last year, and was very happy with the service. Alas, they've moved their operations from my local airport, Stansted, to Heathrow - good for you, not so good for me!
Jan 13th, 2010, 04:51 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for your helpful responses. I will go with Aegean. Sharing the same terminal with Continental makes the choice even better. More time to wander aimlessly around Duty Free...

Baz