Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Aegean Airlines - Carry On Rules Allow also a "Personal Item"? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/aegean-airlines-carry-on-rules-allow-also-a-personal-item-1003024/)

laurie_ann Jan 16th, 2014 08:24 AM

Aegean Airlines - Carry On Rules Allow also a "Personal Item"?

I have reviewed Aegean Airlines website which explains that you are permitted a "normal" size carryon bag (22") so long as it doesn't weigh more than 8 kg. But it doesn't say whether or not a "personal item" such as purse or briefcase is allowed also. That is the norm for US domestic flights but it has been a while since I took an flight within Europe. Our flights are from Rome to Athens and then later from Athens to Frankfurt. I am not as worried for the second flight as the checked bag on the Frankfurt flight is free. But a checked bag on the first flight must be paid for and it is almost twice as much if you don't pay for it until you get to the airport. (Germany is one of the exceptions to the changes the airline implemented last fall to charge for all checked bags on flights within Europe.)

Christina Jan 16th, 2014 08:59 AM

Hard to say, maybe someone knows exactly. Looking at their website, I would tend to bet no--your cabin allowance is one item, period. Otherwise, I think it would say so. A lot of people on US flights abuse that policy by trying to carry on huge backpacks and totebags that are as big as the allowed luggage item, anyway, I've noticed, not just a small purse or small briefcase. And 8 kg isn't that much, so no 22" carryon suitcase stuffed full would pass that, I don't think, so it is mainly for smaller items.

However, I read the baggages rules in their section for travel agent info, and it says baggage is defined as the thing carrying your clothes and belongings, so that wouldn't include a purse.

I do fly Easyjet to/from various places in Europe, and they won't allow more than one carryon item, regardless of what it is called, so it does happen. I imagine you are concerned because your carryon will be stuffed so full you won't be able to put anything else in it, even a purse?

tripadvisor post says personal item is okay http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic...ns_Attica.html

BUT this more recent post on another forum says no, they've changed policy and one means one https://community.ricksteves.com/tra...gage-allowance

sparkchaser Jan 16th, 2014 09:14 AM

Thank goodness I have gold status with Star Alliance.

laurie_ann Jan 16th, 2014 09:36 AM

Thanks. I was thinking that one means one.

Especially since they recently changed their pricing structure to "go light" and "flex" fares within Economy Class which is a lot like the Easy Jet version of fares. Go light is cheaper but you pay extra for even the first checked bag.

But of course now I can't tell what kind of ticket I have. It is fare class "U" and "Economy" but neither my receipt nor my current page on "view my booking" on Aegean website tells me whether it is go light or not. I purchased it through Expedia where I don't think I had any choice between the two kinds of economy. I will send Aegean an email to ask about that.

laurie_ann Jan 16th, 2014 09:36 AM

Thanks. I was thinking that one means one.

Especially since they recently changed their pricing structure to "go light" and "flex" fares within Economy Class which is a lot like the Easy Jet version of fares. Go light is cheaper but you pay extra for even the first checked bag.

But of course now I can't tell what kind of ticket I have. It is fare class "U" and "Economy" but neither my receipt nor my current page on "view my booking" on Aegean website tells me whether it is go light or not. I purchased it through Expedia where I don't think I had any choice between the two kinds of economy. I will send Aegean an email to ask about that.

laurie_ann Jan 16th, 2014 09:45 AM

Thanks.

I was thinking that one means one.

Especially since they have more recently than either of those two links above changed their fare structure to "go light" and "flex" even within Economy. I think that is more like Easy Jet where in "go light" you pay for even the first checked bag.

But of course I can't tell whether I have a "go light" or a "flex" ticket. I bought it on Expedia. I found my booking on Aegean website based on the record locator number but all that says is I have fare class "U" in "Economy". I have an email into Aegean to ask but may have to assume the worst that I have "go light".

WWK Jan 16th, 2014 12:00 PM

As I remember it, we had to check our carry-ons when traveling on Aegean the last few years. Pocketbooks or briefcases were the only personal items allowed on with us. Good luck!

brotherleelove2004 Jan 16th, 2014 03:18 PM

I challenge even the most die-hard "by the book" Aegean employee to stop a determined Ya-ya carrying her handbag _plus_ a shopping bag full of things she's bringing home!

Not gonna happen.

Pepper_von_snoot Jan 16th, 2014 05:09 PM

I have flown Aegean, but in business class Athena-Thessaloniki-Rodos.

I always check my bags, but as BL noted above I have seen all kinds of crazy bag combos on Aegean.

People bring all kinds of beach gear on the plane with them.

Rich women who live in Thessaloniki fly to Athena to go shopping at Louis Vuitton and Attica and do bring all their shopping bags on board.

Thin

greg Jan 16th, 2014 06:17 PM

Ok, you are dealing with a Greek carrier... I flew Aegean four times last year. As previous posters mentioned, I saw all sorts of things in the cabin. On one flight, a guy was carrying a pot of plant on board placed on the floor between his legs! If you drive in Greece, you get the hang of how things work in Greece. I didn't think there were speed limits or no-passing zones. Double yellow lines are just decorations on roads.

travelerjan Jan 16th, 2014 08:14 PM

As to what WWK says "We had to check our carry-ons" ... I believe he/she is referring to having to check a piece of luggage that larger airlines allow as a "carry-on," i.e., a "roll aboard" suitcase not more than 22". The permitted "carry-on" on Aegean when we went was more in the nature of a soft-side shoulder-strap "hold-all" which could hold a bunch of stuff (one's handbag, a computer, a sweater, a paire of shoes) but not be as hard-side & heavy as the above "roll-aboard." Any overhead compartments in many Aegean & Olympic planes is definitely too small to accommodate a 20" or 22" "roallaboard."

laurie_ann Jan 17th, 2014 03:00 AM

Many thanks for the kind replies. (And patience with my three more or less identical posts above as I kept getting a computer error message.

Here is the reply I received from Aegean when I asked if my fare class "U" was "go light" or "flex". (I thought that was probably the case as my ticket was only $100 each way.)

"Thank you for contacting the Customer Relations Department of Aegean.

Further to your request and according to your itinerary details, we would like to inform you that you have selected the ''Go Light'' fare, which allows the carriage of one (1) piece of hand luggage free of charge, whereas there is no free checked-in baggage allowance. More specifically, each passenger may carry on board the plane one (1) item of hand luggage, weighing no more than eight (8) kilos and measuring no more than 55cm in length x 40cm in height x 20cm in width.

However, in case you wish to purchase additional piece of luggage (up to 23 kgs), you are kindly requested to:

1) visit our website (www.aegeanair.com / my booking), benefiting from the online discounted fees or

2) contact our Reservations Department (contact number: 0030 210 62.61.000 / 24h operation) or

3) proceed to the sales desk of our company at the airport of departure

Finally, in case you wish to receive any additional information regarding baggage allowance policy as well as all relevant charges regarding excess baggage, please refer to our website http://en.aegeanair.com/travel-infor...age-allowance/

We remain at your disposal for any additional information or further assistance that you may need in the future."

55cm appears to the be the equivalent of 22 inches. Also for our Rome/Athens flight we are on an A320 which Airbus advertises has "a significant increase in overhead stowage". I presume it might be different than smaller aircraft used for the islands.

Now I just have figure out if I think I can fit my purse inside my carry on bag if necessary or how to purchase the checked bag in advance when I can't find any "button" for it when I go into my reservation on their website. . .

I will report back after the trip.

Again, many thanks to all!

WWK Jan 17th, 2014 07:41 PM

Yes, travelerjan is right. I have a small carry-on with wheels that I often bring on board along with my pocketbook, but it had to be checked on our Aegean (economy seats) flights.

Pepper_von_snoot Jan 17th, 2014 08:15 PM

Hello Weadles!

How is your daughter's vertigo?

Thin

WWK Jan 18th, 2014 05:13 PM

Hi, Pepper!

Thanks for asking! She is doing much better after radically changing her diet and going on a low dose of meds. I hope you are doing better, too??