Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Aegean Airlines 2009 Discount Greek Island Fares Already Out

Old Aug 9th, 2008, 02:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I try to keep tabs on when Aegean Airlines releases their discount fares for the upcomiing year. In the past it's been in December or January. I'm seeing 15 euro fares now for next May and June. Get 'em while they're hot!
Old Aug 9th, 2008, 02:29 PM

Hello BrotherLL,
Did you happen to read my post re: Chania or Nafplion? Anyway -saying we end up in Nafplion, would 4 days be a reasonable "quick trip" to see just the nearby sites. Arrival day would really just be the evening, 2 days for surrounds, and 1 day for back to airport with some stops on the way then afternoon flight out (?)
Old Aug 9th, 2008, 03:14 PM
Original Poster

I'm not big on quick trips but if that's all the time you have it'll do.
Old Aug 9th, 2008, 03:53 PM

Yes Cmor, that time-frame is fine for Nafplio (BrotherLL is more all about Santorini, I don't think he's ever been to Nafplio; I've been 4 x and going back next May).

I clicked on your previous posts and see u are getting in late April and wondering about getting to Nafplio form airport? Now I see you say you will be "ending up" at Nafplio. I'm confused.

If you come from Airport you can take the x93 bus to KTEL Bus Terminal A on Kifissou Street; if you are going to KTEL from Plaka, taxi (8€?) is best. Buy Nafplio bus ticket at Argolid window; current price is 11.5€ --Ask for LH side seat if u want the sea view. Runs hourly on the half hour, duration 2.5 hours, comfortable & AC (but visit the WC before boarding,no WC on board).

THat evening & next day just enjoy exploring Nafplio -- SO much to see!
here's the wonderful slide show by Fodorite friend Stanbr:
http://travel.webshots.com/slideshow/551991579dJbWvh

I'm not clear if u want to rent a car; you can get one cheaply in Nafplio, and see Mycenae, Epidaurus, Tiryns or Nemea all on your day #2.
THere may also be a local bus tour that takes you to the first 2 named.
IF u rented a car at Athens airport, on your drive back u can stop at Nemea, it's just off the main hiway.
IF you are returning to airport for your flight home,Be sure to allow enough time to be in check-in line 2 hrs before your flight.

FOr details on Nafplio lodging,food, must-sees etc, e-mail me.
Old Aug 9th, 2008, 04:07 PM

Thanks Brotherlee. For a minute there we were all excited about an opportunity to fly to Santorini rather than take the ferry to Naxos and then on to Santorini.
However on sober second thought the 15 euro fare (which by the way for two ends up being 100euro on June 5) was just too early at 5:50 particularly as we will be in Naphlion the night of the 4th. We will be in Greek mode by then and an early morning and a two hour drive will be just too much for us.

Thanks for keeping a sharp eye out on those air fares. Perhaps by January they will have those low fares on mid day flights as well.
Old Aug 9th, 2008, 04:32 PM

Thanks for response~ I did get bookings to Chania 8:55 pm on Sun 5/3. Two at 15e and one at 27e, booking failure on 4th, I have to call them when it's morning there, not sure if I'll get anyone on Sunday.
So 4/29 to 5/3 will be airport to Nafplio & surrounds and back to airport for above flight. It's a start!

Yes, TravlerJan, confusion reigns, but once my head stops spinning, I will email you. Thank you very much!
Old Aug 9th, 2008, 06:40 PM

StanBr - awesome pictures, in particular the sunsets with mountians in the background! I also love the bougainvillea - my grandmother grew tons of it and I always think of her when I see it.
Old Aug 9th, 2008, 08:54 PM

Are those fares really 15 euros per person?

Are you adding in the fuel surcharge and the taxes?

I can remember when I got 19 euro fares for Thessaloniki and Rodos last July. Unfortunately, with the tax and fuel surcharge the fare was really about 60 euros per person.

Thingorjus
Old Aug 9th, 2008, 09:32 PM

Sorry if it wasn't clear, the taxes and fees are on top of that, still pretty low though...I'm happy with outcome.
Old Aug 10th, 2008, 07:40 AM
Original Poster

I have been to Napflio but it was much too long ago for my input to be anything but general. I'm gratified to see that Jan agrees with me in spite of her baseless assumptions about my travel experience.
Old Aug 10th, 2008, 11:30 AM

No, no BLL, did not mean to assume that you never went to Nafplio, I just thought it had been a looong time -- and I know there are lots of changes each time I go, including prices, and also quality of certain lodgings; I was there last May and just got reports from people who wre there THIS may and June, so am fairly up-to-date.

Likewise I admire how you constantly check on the Oia options -- I wonder if the hotelier are aware what you're up to when you pop in to a lobby, gaze around and leave. Some of them might lavish smiles on you, otherse might shiver in their shoes!!
Old Aug 10th, 2008, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

"I don't think he's ever been to Nafplio"

"did not mean to assume that you never went to Nafplio, I just thought it had been a looong time"

........Which is it?

I always introduce myself when visiting a hotel. I try to call ahead to ask for a tour. I don't gaze around a hotel lobby and leave. Where do you get these ideas?
Old Aug 10th, 2008, 06:53 PM

Oh, oh, BLL, don't get huffy!! I was just teasing a bit, I know you are not a "stealth reviewer"!! It was just my fantasy, of how hotels may quake at the prospect of BLL, like restaurants when the NY Times reviewer enters their diningrooms.

I'm really just an admirer of how observant you are about all the amenities in Oia hotels that are so important to people planning their "dream trips"... which rooms have the best views, which are obstructed, what places are too near a much-used pathway, which places have the best roof terraces, etc.

From the raves that are posted, we know that your observations are right on, and just as importantly, you help people avoid disappointment too! All hail BLL.
Old Aug 10th, 2008, 08:11 PM
Original Poster

Your teasing lacks a certain something....humor, I think. As stern as so many of your responses are you've conditioned me to take you at face value, thus my response to yet one more of your unamusing references to my own efforts to inform. I'll know better from now on to take you so seriously.
Old Aug 11th, 2008, 11:17 AM

Oh, BrotherLee, lighten up, please.

I really was trying to compliment you, don't get all huffy. I sincerely do admire your endless patience with people who are about to spend TONS of money on a trip, but haven't bothered to learn or read a single thing about their destination. You have the patience of a saint, and I'm far from saintly. So there we are.
Old Aug 11th, 2008, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

I'll lighten up when you do.

Your turn......isn't this fun?
Old Aug 11th, 2008, 12:53 PM

Now children!!!

Old Aug 11th, 2008, 01:35 PM
Original Poster

What?