Search

Advise wanted, Aussies on tour in UK

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20th, 2006, 08:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advise wanted, Aussies on tour in UK

Hi everyone,

I have gone back and revised our trip to the UK.

Now I did mention my cousin (who lives in Alnwick) flies into Heathrow via Qantas and onto Newcastle via B.A. but I did not know that at the time. So that is what we will have to do. Below is a rough itinery of our trip.

5-6 days in Alnwick (Northumberland)

Now here is the new part.

Either hire a car or get a rail flexi pass??

From Alnwick travel to Derby for 3 days.
I am an avid Bess of Hardwick fan so we will visit Chatsworth, Hardwick Hall, Derby Cathedral (visit Bess), Stratford Upon Avon, Warwick Castle.

From Derby visit Hay On Wye for 3 days.
Hereford Cathedral (Map Of Mundi)Cardiff, Caerphilly Castle, Bath.

Then onto Salisbury 2 days, Old Sarum, Stonehenge, Salisbury Cathedral and Winchester (My grandfather is from here) Then onto London for 5 days.

We know exactly what to do while in London.

But does the middle part sound attainable and should we go train or car?

Advice B&B's/Hotels in or around Derby, Hay and Salisbury at a reasonably rate would be greatfully received!

Thanks again for any help.

Deb
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 08:47 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
The bit between Alnwick and London is totally doable. I (personally) would do it by car without doubt. There is sooooo much of interest in all the places you want to stay - and the trains just won't cut it except for the main towns.

It would not be a rushed trip. You can visit Bath enroute from Hay on Wye to Salisbury.
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 10:30 PM

You can't comfortably commute out to the places you want to get to by train from Hay (or rather Hereford, since there's no station at Hay) or Derby.

In fact, there's virtually nowhere except Birmingham outside London you can use as a centre for daily train-based commutes out to major tourist sites. You can have a pleasant train-based time in places like Oxford or any of the big cities - but you're still severely limited to the handful of destinations comfortably accessible by train from them

The only place in your plans you can get to by train from Salisbury is Winchester. BTW: At Winchester, few guides mention Hyde Abbey, thus showing how useless most guides are (http://www.spectator.co.uk/archive/2...f-alfred.thtml if you've got the sense to subscribe to The Spectator: www.winchester.gov.uk/SubTopicR.asp?ID=238 for a less colourful description)

There really is no sensible alternative to driving practically all your itinerary
Old Jul 21st, 2006, 03:21 AM

Derby isn't very nice & I wouldn't recommend staying there. Derbyshire (especially the Peak District) is another matter.

If we do have a car, Winchester would be another nice place to stay.
Old Jul 21st, 2006, 05:17 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Caroline makes a good point -- parts of Derbyshire - absolutely terrific, Derby itself - not so much.

But since we've (hopefully) convinced you to rent a car you don't have to stay in the city anyway . . . . .
Old Jul 21st, 2006, 02:56 PM

debstaj,

You may intend to do this, but do Stratford and Warwick en route to Hay, not as trips returning to Derby.
Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 10:11 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your response, I think this our trip. I actually wasn't too keen on Derby either and was actually looking at Bakewell but as I was not sure on which was the best mode of travelling I thought I might have to go into Derby. The Warwick/Stratford stopover on the way to Hay was what I had in mind as was the visit to Bath but having it advise makes me more comfortable in what we are planning.
Great advice, so appreciative of what you have come up with. Is there a a site for selecting B&B's? There are so many.

Regards Deb
Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 12:18 AM

Hi debstaj,
In the area surrounding Cardiff, such as Caerphilly etc, you may want a car it's much quicker and public transport to the areas you want to visit is not very good.

So whilst you have a car, get out to a place called Llandaff, where there is a Cathedral.
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/llandaff/

Castel Coch, nestled in the woodlands in Tongwynlais,
http://www.castlewales.com/coch.html

then on to Caerphilly. Whilst you are in the area, you could lunch at the Maenlwydd inn which is a couple of miles from the castle in a village called Rudry.
http://www.goodpubrestaurants.co.uk/...restaurant=150

This pub/restaurant is fabulous.
But mind your head on the ceiling..lol

Muck

Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 11:09 AM

Hiya
Have you read the new(ish) book on Bess of Hardwick by Mary Lovell? Excellent.
You will love Hardwick Hall.
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 03:33 PM
Original Poster

I am getting some top info here. Thanks

And yes, yes ,yes I have read Mary Lovell's book. Fantastic. Wasn't big enough! I am onto Isabella Shewolf Of France at the moment and I am really impressed with some of these medieval & Tudor ladies. Shame we cannot see her tomb anymore.
I think I have missed my calling.

Old Jul 24th, 2006, 05:47 PM

debstaj - We have booked B&B's on www.smoothhound.co.uk

Sandy
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 06:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Sandy. I will have a look. Should be working but I am on a roll!