Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

advise on summer trip to south of France..

Apr 23rd, 2007, 05:36 AM
Original Poster

My husband and I are planning a trip to the South of France from London and desperatly need some sound advise from all u learned people!!!We have really really benefited from the postings on this site for our other trips...
We were thinking of flying down to Montpellier by ryan air end of May(The entire trip would be for about a week)and then catching a train/bus to Aix en provence(Really do want to see the provence area)and then moving on to Nice and spending about 3 days and catching the flight back to London from there..
Unfortunately, it sounds like a rushed trip but thats all the holiday that my husband can manage at the moment and I do want to fit in Provence and Nice, Monpellier is for sentimental reasons..
We would like to know your suggestions on the itinery, what best way is it to travel between these places in terms of value for money(didn't find much info on buses while googling)etc etc...
My main aim in provence is to see the sunflower/lavender fields so is aix en provence the best place to go.???

Any ideas/suggestions/info will be really helpful in planning our trip-much thanks..
Apr 24th, 2007, 03:46 AM

I strongly advise to rent a car - it is mandatory for exploring the beautiful countryside and especially for seeing lavender fields.

From Montpellier, I would drive to Nimes, Aigues-Mortes, Arles, Avignon. I certainly would drive up to Pont du Gard. I would drive through Les Alpilles to see scenery, Roman and medieval ruins (Les Baux). IMO, this area covers the most beautiful part of Provence.

Then I would go eastwards, to Aix.

From there, to the Cote d'Azur. Make sure to drive the Corniche de l'Esterel, the scenic road between St. Raphael and Cannes. From Nice, also drive over the corniches to Monaco (and back).

You remember all the movies with Grace Kelly and whoever? Imagine these movies without driving the roads!

BTW, May is the perfect time of year to go there.
Apr 24th, 2007, 03:55 AM
Original Poster

Hi traveller1959..
Thank you so much for your reply.. Unfortunately, travelling by car at the moment is not an option as we shifted to London only sometime ago and my husband is yet to get his driving licence sorted out..So any suggestions by bus/public transport-pl do help as we seem to be rather lost!
Apr 24th, 2007, 04:08 AM

It's a pity!

Okay, the cities are connected by trains. Nimes is 25 minutes from Montpellier, Avignon 1 hour etc.

You may choose Avignon as your first base. It is beautiful, lively city which is centrally located. The hotel will offer bus tours into the countryside. Same with Aix and Nice.

You can look up train schedules at

http://www.voyages-sncf.com

Ironically, I find the website of German bahn better, even for intra-French connections:

www.bahn.de

Make sure that you spell the place names correctly. Do not choose connections to TGV stations but to "centre" stations.
Apr 24th, 2007, 05:17 AM

Trains are good in the area but really only town to towns.

Local Buses also so for example if you want to the big roman aqueduct north of Nimes then you need the bus station under the railway station and catch a bus. Trouble is the frequency times are poor. So you will find public transport a bit of a pain. google the Information Touristique in each town you are interested in and then look for local bus companies.

Lots of guide books about especially o=towards the coast so pop into a UK library for a bit of background if not already done
Apr 24th, 2007, 05:29 AM

You could visit the nude city, Cap D'Agde. Experience the chill of grocery shopping in the nude and brushing bread crums off your nude body in restaurants.

Easy to pack for. Toothbrush, period. You can now fly carry-on again.

Apr 24th, 2007, 08:14 AM
Original Poster

thanx guys!!just wondering if we shuld fly down to montpellier from london and make that our base , explore the surrounding areas and then go to nice and make that our base once again explore the surrounding areas....is aix de provence easy to go from nice?