Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Advices for Bavaria-Tyrol or Italy Scenic (and still open) routes in January

May 24th, 2019, 05:51 PM
Original Poster

Hi there,

I will have a business conference in Frankfurt in the mid of January for a week.
Following my job, I decide to take a three-week holiday including attend my friend's wedding in Munich.
I, therefore, thinking to make a winter roadtrip. (Even though I understand that this is not the wise time of the year)

The routes would be Munich - Berchtesgarden - Salzburg - Hallstat - Zell-am-See - Inssbruck - Fussen (including the castle) - Munich

Or Milan - Bolzano - Vinice

The trip would be about 13-15 days maximum.

I know I am sort of weird person who love to spend times with myself. Two years ago, when I visited northern sweden, I had a good time in the cabin with heavy snowfall outside, woke up and found the whole car burried under snow. Staying quietly with myself is the thing I craved for. In a year, my job is full of meeting with poeple, negotiating and compromising. I just want some isolate space to "shut down" my brain, abandon my egoistic and recharge my battery. I am not a fan of either winter sports or public transportation. All I love is driving and taking photos with less tourists.

Although this is a very first stage of planning, I found many threads talking about Alpine roadtrip in summer. Unfortunately, just few posts mentioned this sort of trip in winter. I reaize that some mountain passes will be closed during that time of the year. Therefore, I would like to ask for some good advices from you guys.

FYI: I lived in Edmonton for one year and also have some winter driving experiences such as in Lofoten (Norway), Arvidsjaur & Kiruna and Banff (Canada). I plan to rent 4*4 and will drive for the maximum of 200 kms per day.

May 24th, 2019, 06:34 PM

You might consider the area just north of Berlin where there are a thousand lakes and not many tourists, especially not in winter. If you google Berlin + "land of a thousand lakes" you will find quite a few news stories and tourism board articles.

Lavandula
May 25th, 2019, 03:08 AM

The first itinerary you mention is not in the high Alps and the routes are usually ogpen all the year round.
As to the second itinerary (Milano - Bozen - Venezia) I don't know what you really mean.
May 25th, 2019, 03:15 PM

Oh, I just realised you were looking for Tyrol - my apologies!

Lavandula
May 25th, 2019, 03:32 PM

You can take trains to all those cities - scenic routes too - no need for car though some prefer cars but once you get to the cities cars are generally useless. for lots on trains check www.budgeteuropetravel.com; www.seat61.com; www.bahn.de/en for all European train schedules and www.ricksteves.com. But if you love driving that's well and good but I'd personally, with a vehicle, hit some more rural areas like The Sound of Music Country just east of Salzburg and en route to Hallstatt - and an area well worth a day or 2.

Innsbruck-Fussen via Austria to Reutte -drive thru gorge to Fussen and that's a cute area to drive around too - from Fussen to Munich you can easily hit the famous Weisskirche and Linderhof Palace of Mad Ludwig too - but much more conventional. The Schwangau area around Fussen has a neat lake and some really nice walks in pre-Alps. Schwangau has hotels on the lake with views of Neuschwanstein above. When I stayed there the municipal band plays at sunset each day by the lake. There are lovely walks around he lake going to the castles.
May 26th, 2019, 04:50 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PalenQ View Post
You can take trains to all those cities - scenic routes too - no need for car though some prefer cars but once you get to the cities cars are generally useless. for lots on trains check www.budgeteuropetravel.com; www.seat61.com; www.bahn.de/en for all European train schedules and www.ricksteves.com. But if you love driving that's well and good but I'd personally, with a vehicle, hit some more rural areas like The Sound of Music Country just east of Salzburg and en route to Hallstatt - and an area well worth a day or 2.

Innsbruck-Fussen via Austria to Reutte -drive thru gorge to Fussen and that's a cute area to drive around too - from Fussen to Munich you can easily hit the famous Weisskirche and Linderhof Palace of Mad Ludwig too - but much more conventional. The Schwangau area around Fussen has a neat lake and some really nice walks in pre-Alps. Schwangau has hotels on the lake with views of Neuschwanstein above. When I stayed there the municipal band plays at sunset each day by the lake. There are lovely walks around he lake going to the castles.
Ohh! That's sounds great. I would research more about attractions along the way in winter.
May 26th, 2019, 04:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all tips. Do you have any recommend roads for January' roadtrip?
May 26th, 2019, 09:30 AM

ask for snow tires on rental if going thru hills in Jan