Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Advice wanted - I need the perfect hotel in Italy!!! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/advice-wanted-i-need-the-perfect-hotel-in-italy-40321/)

Pam Mar 18th, 1999 09:19 AM

Advice wanted - I need the perfect hotel in Italy!!!

We plan on eloping in Italy next May/June. I'm looking for the perfect hotel for the ceremony (don't worry all legalities will be worked out - it can be done). It will probably just be the two of us and a few close friends and family. We want something beautiful and romantic. Possibly something with a garden. We've narrowed down our choices to the Amalfi Coast, the Italian Rivera/Lake Region or Venice, but are open to suggestions. Thanks!!

wendy Mar 18th, 1999 09:24 AM

Look up some on www.karenbrown.com <BR> <BR>I have heard Positano is nice. Check out pictures on: <BR> <BR>http://italyhotel.com/campania/ <BR> <BR>http://www.starnet.it/positano/ingwel.htm <BR> <BR>

Pam Mar 18th, 1999 09:44 AM

Thanks for the advice. I would love to hear some first-hand experiences with suggested hotels too.

BOB THE NAVIGATOR Mar 18th, 1999 11:17 AM

Pam, You did not mention price range so I will assume the moderate range. <BR>You really have 2 super choices for <BR>location. I will suggest Bellagio on <BR>Lake Como as an easier place to access <BR>for the wedding party and family. If you <BR>want to splurge, the Villa Serbelloni is <BR>the obvious choice. If you want more moderate pricing check out the Hotel <BR>Belvedere---fabulous location and view. <BR> <BR>Your other option is Positano. Harder to <BR>get to and more expensive---but spectacular. The Casa Albertina would be <BR>my choice, but you have to walk up to get there. The other choice is the Poseidon---a very nice 4 star and a great location. All of these have web sites you can find with a search---BEST WISHES---we are celebrating our 40th with an 8 week sojourn in Europe soon. <BR>We hope you will be as fortunate.

John Mar 18th, 1999 12:05 PM

Pam, I got engaged this past October in Positano at the Covo dei Sarceni hotel which is down on the beach. We loved Positano and thought the Amalfi coast was just beautiful. <BR> <BR>I've also stayed at the Il Griso hotel on Lake Como close to Lecco. If you look at Lake Como it looks like an upside down Y. The city of Como is at the bottom of the left leg and Lecco would be at the bottom of the right leg. Bellagio is between the two where the two branches come together. Lecco is 34 miles NE of Milano and Como is 26 miles N of Milano. The Il Griso hotel is not in Lecco. It is across from it overlooking the lake. From the hotel, you have a private patio with table and chairs overlooking the lake and the Alps as a backdrop. I thought the view was just stunning. The room I had was very nice and the restaurant was outstanding. In fact, I had the best meal of my life there and I've had some memorable ones. I didn't really go into Lecco because I was working about 15 miles south of there in the direction of Milano. I've also driven around the lake to Bellagio (just for ice ream) and onto Como and then up into Switzerland. <BR> <BR>I've stayed at the Palm Hotel in Locarno which is on Lake Maggiore and that is also very pretty, but that is in Switzerland. <BR> <BR>I've stayed in Venice on the Lido, Buon Pesce Hotel and that was also nice. <BR> <BR>I guess if I had a choice, I would go for the lakes. It is very beautiful. It is also very quite and serene. Lecco and Bellagio are small. Como is larger and would have more things to do. Same for Locarno if an option. <BR> <BR>I've seen other very beautiful hotels advertised for around Lake Como, but don't recall the names. So I will limit my comments to my own first hand knowledge. <BR> <BR>Congratulations!

John Mar 18th, 1999 12:15 PM

Pam, I forgot about the Italian Riveria. I've been there too. The Riveria is also very nice. I stayed at a hotel in Villefranche just outside of Nice and then drove the Italian Riveria. The cities are close to another. Nice, Villefranche, Monaco, Monte Carlo, Menton in France and then Ventimiglia and San Remo in Italy. <BR> <BR>It would be a toss-up between the lakes and the Riveria for me. Depends on how quiet you want to be. I think I would go for the Riveria because there are more things to do or I would split my stay between there and the lakes. I would get a little stir crazy after a few days on the lakes.

Pam Mar 18th, 1999 06:16 PM

Thanks for all of the advice! Just bringing this back to the top.

Judy Mar 19th, 1999 11:42 AM

How about the San Pietro in Positano? <BR>Or the Cipriani in Venice? <BR>Both of them are unique. Of course, I am assuming that money is not a problem. <BR>

Pam Mar 23rd, 1999 10:01 AM

Thanks for all the advice. What is Portofino like?

John Mar 23rd, 1999 11:47 AM

Very picturesque. Very small. The road to Portofino wraps around the mountains and you get a nice view of the water and coast. When I was there, because of very limited parking in Portofino, the authorities only let one car enter after one car has left. Consequently there was a long line of cars waiting. Actually, it was aggravating, because the wait was long. Of course this will depend when you go there. I was there in early July. <BR> <BR>

Joanne Mar 30th, 1999 10:15 AM

If you want to be near Florence and Rome, look into La Badia just outside the walls of Orvieto. We stumbled upon this monastery-turned-hotel last week, and it is beautiful. The monastery was built in the 6th to 13th century, and is being run by a Count. There is a 12-sided medieval tower, lovely courtyard, etc., ruins, olive groves and vineyard, which produces its own label. <BR>Email me for details.

Pam Apr 2nd, 1999 08:29 PM

I just wanted to thank everyone so far for the advice. I'm finding it so helpful. To Bob the Navigator:I was so happy that you e-mailed me. I have been addicted to this site since October of last year doing research for our wedding/honeymoon. You always give very sound advice to everyone and your specialty seems to be Italy. I would love to contact you directly as our trip gets closer to go over our itinerary if that's okay. Congratulations to you regarding your 40th and thank you for the advice. John, thank you too. Joanne I plan on e-mailing you directly. I can't wait to hear more!