Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Advice Sought: What to see between Interlaken and Paris?

Old Jul 21st, 1999, 07:50 AM
Dave

Our family (2 adults and 2 teenagers) will be in Interlaken in mid-August and have four days to get to Paris by car. What would you recommend for this leg of our vacation. We'd prefer not to drive long distances in one day (you know, two teenagers stuck together all day).

Our current plans have us touring the Alsace region: stopping near Colmar the first night (maybe driving the Route des Cretes (sp?)), second night near or in Strasbourg (maybe arriving via the Wine Road), then on Reims, and finally to Paris. (We will be leaving from CDG the next day, having stayed in Paris earlier during the trip.)

Any comments on this plan? It seems like we will just be in-and-out of places that could use more time, such as Strasbourg. Any specific recommendations along this route -- must sees, hotels/restaurants of good value, etc.? Or maybe someone could suggest a different route to Paris from Interlaken.

All advice appreciated.

Old Jul 21st, 1999, 10:16 AM
suzann

Dave,
I hope I'm not offensive when I ask why return to Paris? Can you change your ticket to fly out of another city (an open-jaw is fairly common). That way, you can spend your final four days in a great city -- say Zurich or Munich or anything that's closer than Paris. Why spend your last four days in Europe on the road?

suzann

Old Jul 21st, 1999, 12:09 PM
Dave

Your question is certainly not offensive.

Our tickets are Frequent Flyer awards. The availability of frequent flyer seats and other such restrictions drove the decision. My first strategy was to do just as you suggested (arrive in Paris and leave from Frankfurt or Munich), but I couldn't get it to work out. (BTW, we will be spending some time in Munich as you suggested.)

Dave

Old Jul 21st, 1999, 01:45 PM
Steve

My wife, two teenage daughters and I took a day trip via train from Paris to Epernay (sp?) to tour champagne makers. Nice side trip; good to get out of the big city. Epernay is small, low key, pleasant, with lots of champagne history and visitor tours, including tastings (see the tourist office). Parking is no problem. Epernay is east of Paris. Sorry, but we've never visited Strasbourg.

Old Jul 21st, 1999, 09:47 PM
Bill Fleites

Dave, the highlight of my last trip to this part of Europe was taking the cable car at Chamonix-Mt-Blanc up to the Aguile du Midi, and then on to Hellbronner point. You get spectacular view of the Alps, including Mt Blanc which is the tallest mountain in Europe.
With this in mind I would get from Interlaken to Paris as follows:
Day 1 - Drive from Interlaken to Chamonix-Mt-Blanc, 141 mi, ~3hr trip. If it's a clear day head for Aguile du Midi, if not spend the day in Chamonix and wait until the following day in the morning. Spend the night in Chamonix-Mt-Blanc.
Day 2 - spend it in Chamonix or going up to Aguile du Midi. Spend the night in Chamonix-Mt-Blanc.
Day 3 - Drive from Chamonix-Mt-Blanc to Beaune, 187mi, ~3hr trip, spend the night in Beaune.
Day 4 - Drive from Beaune to Reims,
210mi, ~3.5hr trip. Head for Paris (90mi, ~1.5hr trip) and spend the night there.