Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Advice re: Jetlag! Arrive in Greece at 2:30pm from Florida

Old Apr 25th, 2007, 02:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greetings! I will be traveling to Athens, Greece, along with my husband (58), mother-in-law (84), teens (15, 17, 19) for the first time, at the end of May. After a long flight from Florida, we should arrive at the Athenaem Intercontinental hotel around 2:30pm.

Can you share your successful experiences with me regarding adjusting to the jetlag and making the most of the first hours of a vacation.

Would you advise us to avoid trying to cram in any sight seeing (w/private guide or taxi???) that first afternoon and evening? We have to depart from our hotel in Athens at 5pm the following day, so we are tempted to push ourselves to do something more than relaxing, mingling and dining alfresco...all of which sound absolutely wonderful!!

Our kids have studied ancient world history and mythology extensively and are looking forward to this vacation. We love architecture, interesting walks in town, people-watching, art, churches and history. Some in our group shudder at the prospect of shopping but will tolerate some of it.

Unfortunately, our cruise gives us so little time at each destination. We are flying into Greece a day before our ship departs in order to get to see Athens.

Our rushed itinerary is as follows:
7/1 Athens
7/2 Santorini
7/3 Patmos
7/4 Ephesus 7/5 AT SEA
7/6 Nazareth
7/7 Jerusalem
7/8 Port Said
7/9 Alexandria 7/10, 7/11 AT SEA
7/12 Sorento
7/13,14 Rome

So you can see that we will be on the run a lot. I want our trip to be leisurely enough that we don't feel that we are racing off to get to a bunch of places, but productive enough to take advantage of all of our time there.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Nannette

Old Apr 25th, 2007, 03:10 PM
Original Poster

I neglected to ask where is it enjoyable to dine. Where the views, and people are an experience to remember. THX
Nannette
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 03:34 PM

It would be a shame not to see the Acropolis, and I would walk there, or take the metro, and then get dinner. Take a shower at the hotel, and then head out. Don't take a nap; fight the jetlag, shower, stay awake and at least see the Acropolis, maybe followed by a walk through the Plaka and dinner.
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 03:46 PM
Original Poster

thit_cho- Is the Acropolis the place to see in the afternoon or the next day early in the morning? We don't leave our hotel in Athens until 5pm the following day. Also, thanks for the jetlag and the Plaka tip.
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 04:05 PM

The secret to beating jet lag going to Europe is to keep moving the first day there and try to go to be at a "normal" local time. The temptation is to take a quick nap but that is a BIG mistake for most people.

As for the Acropolis. . . . I have always avoided going in the afternoon because of the heat. But I have only been in Athens in June or July. I think you should save the Acropolis and the Archaeological Museum (a must-see) for the morning and early afternoon.
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 04:14 PM
Original Poster

sshephard- Thanks for your recommendations. We will plan to see the Acropolis and the Archaeological Museum first thing in the morning. Hmmm, I might consider the Archaeological museum for an afternoon visit, if there is time.

If anyone has any more advise on my limited stay in Athens, fantastic restaurants in Plaka and sight seeing advice, I'd love to hear from you.

Also, I'm currently looking for a private guide. I'm not sure if I need just a taxi or a guide in Athens. I assume the latter. -Any tips?

Thanks,
Nannette

Old Apr 25th, 2007, 04:34 PM

When I traveled to Athens from Georgia, I'd take a couple of hours nap, get up and try to stay up until around 9PM. After a nap, take walks, find a place to have dinner and take it easy the rest of the day and evening. Enjoy your trip.
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 04:44 PM

Another vote for no nap upon arrival.
Tour groups tend to descend upon the Acropolis first thing in the morning--late afternoon tends to be better for visiting in terms of crowds (although honestly, it will be busy anytime). Don't miss the Acropolis Museum tucked away on the SE corner: first-class objects inside even though it's claustrophobic in there--too much stuff, not enough space.

The National Museum only re-opened a couple of years ago following several years' closing (due to the 1999 earthquake) and is definitely a don't miss.

A jetlag tip that works for me: when you get on the plane, go ahead and move your watch to Greece time (7 hrs ahead of EST) and start thinking in that time. It really helps. Sleep as much as possible on the plane so you can stay awake once you get there. If you nap at 2:30 pm, you're not going to get on a good adjusted sleep schedule quickly enough.
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 05:20 PM

Another vote for no naps, also recommended is walking, particularly in the sunshine, apparently it helps your body adapt to the new time zone. Also drink lots of water on the flight and minimise alcohol and caffeine.

I find I often start to fade at 4 or 5 pm, this is flying Australia to Europe, it only lasts an hour or two. If you possibly can, try not to give in to the desire to go to bed early.
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 05:33 PM

Boy, I don't know about the idea of ignoring your jetlag and imediately putting yourself on local time. I flew from Seattle to Athens (not my first trip to Europe from Seattle) and I rested when I first get there because the payback for exhaustion is tough. It hits at just the wrong time. You need to look at your own self and see how you handle no-sleep. Everyone is different. If it was me, and I had basically 24 hours, this is what I would do. Go to the hotel, sleep for a couple of hours. Go to the plaka (a must) and find some little spot for dinner that suits your taste,(avoid the caffeine in the nescafe frappes). Go back and sleep normal hours, and go to the Acropolis 1/2 hour before it opens. Hike it up and enjoy the cool air of the morning. The tourist buses go early, but at least you have 15 minutes without crowds, which is not available any other time of the day except sunset, maybe. Then head to the museum. Except for the changing of the guard at the
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 05:38 PM

Boy, I don't know about the idea of ignoring your jetlag and imediately putting yourself on local time. I flew from Seattle to Athens (not my first trip to Europe from Seattle) and I rested when I first get there because the payback for exhaustion is tough. It hits at just the wrong time. You need to look at your own self and see how you handle no-sleep. Everyone is different. If it was me, and I had 24 hours in Athen, this is what I would do. Go to the hotel, sleep until about 6:00. Go to the plaka (a must) and find some little spot for dinner that suits your taste,(avoid the caffeine in the nescafe frappes). Go back and sleep normal hours, and go to the Acropolis 1/2 hour before it opens. Hike it up and enjoy the cool air of the morning. The tourist buses go early, but at least you have 15 minutes without crowds, which is not available any other time of the day except sunset, maybe. Then head to the museum. Except for the changing of the guard at the government building (palace? can't remember), you've done a good job of seeing the highlights, while getting some rest. Congratulations on having children that appreciate ancient world history and mythology. Most only want to go to the beah.
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 06:02 PM

A few more thoughts. . . .

When I arrive in Europe, I am usually tired but excited and its partly adrenaline that keeps me going.

I have found that being tired colors my experiences and I don't know if I'd want to be doing challenging things (fighting crowds on the Acropolis or traipsing through the Archaeological Museum) under those circumstances. Add the stress of trying to keep 3 teenagers, a husband and a mother-in-law happy, and you could end up having a bad experience your first day in Athens.

I would try to keep moving - explore the neighborhood your hotel is in. Enjoy supper at a sidewalk restuarant. Take the funicular to the top of Lykabettus Hill. Maybe even shop for a while in the Plaka. Rest up and then attack ancient Athens on the next day.
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 06:34 PM

The key as others say to beating jet lag is getting on the local time asap. By the time you arrive you will be at an "awake" time at your home, so, aside from being bleary, you should be ok for some touring. Do stay up (no naps) and go to bed at a normal time local time to adjust. Some people have a hard time with this but Ive found that (assuming I havent taken a nap) that Im tired enough with no sleep on the plan and the days travel that I can get to sleep easily at 10-11 or so. I take a melatonin pill to help the process of getting to sleep and believe it does help.

Then, get up at normal getting up time in the place. Spend the morning outside in the sun (may be a good time for the Acropolis etc.) - sun during the hours when you would be asleep at home is supposed to help the adjustment process.

there are dietary recommendations too but they are harder - no coffee (forget that), protein in the am, starch at night that are supposed to aid the process. Also eating lightly, and not too much food or alcohol on the plane is supposed to help. Personally, my body processes are sluggish when I travel for several days so I dont want to eat too much anyway.
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 06:58 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your responses. It is wonderful hearing from you all!

Okay, I think that we should try to stay up and get adjusted to the local time.

Chatham and Susan7, I will try to stay up till 9pm, thanks!

Desertginter- I loved hearing the "dittos" on the Plaka idea, as well as the good news that we could be ahead of the crowds at the Acropolis. I'll take what I can get! Who knows, maybe we can find some nescafe frappes to help us get going in the morning! Thanks for the congrats regarding our ancient world history, and mythology loving kids...I am grateful. This trip will be so meaningful to all of us.

DejaVu- I loved your idea to move our watches to Greece time. Also, I think that we only will be able to fit in the Archaeological Museum.

Thank you Sshephard for your thoughts. I must admit though that I never heard of a "funicular." I couldn't imagine what you meant, not being familiar with "funicular" and "Lykabettus." After I stopped laughing, I did a google search and am proud to say that alas, I now understand!! What a wonderful bit of advice for our first afternoon. Thank you, thank you!

Thanks jjkbrook, I do appreciate the diatary tips. It sure seems logical!

Thanks again everyone--

I do have an extra question. Would you advise against the necessity of a private guide? We are not too keen on organized tours. I just don't know if a private guide is necessary for a visit to the Acropolis and the Archaeological Museum. Any suggestions???

Old Apr 25th, 2007, 07:30 PM

I am definitely in the no nap crowd. The only exception might be your MIL. At her age, she may need a nap. Only you and she will know, but everyone who is healthy should stay on the go, in sunshine, preferably walking. It's a jet-lag fighter.

I always set my watch on European local time as soon as the plane takes off. I think it helps me to adjust before I have to adjust, if that makes sense.

I know they say to not have alcohol, but we always upgrade to First Class/Business with points and never pass up the free champagne and wine. It doesn't seem to make a difference for us. DH sleeps and I stay up all night but neither of us seem to suffer. I'm a firm believer that jet lag is mostly in the mind.

We were in Athens last year in mid-May and visited the Acropolis in the morning. It was the most horrendous experince for me. I'm claustophobic and the crowds were incredible. I hated every second of it. If I went back again, I would try late afternoon, so that would be my suggestion for your first day.

Reading the threads here, I've discovered that everyone is different and each has their own way of dealing and reacting. Read all the advice and take what you think will work for you.
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 08:01 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Lady, I will take your wise suggestions into account.
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 08:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again everyone- I have to head out now, let me know if you think of anything else. The private guide recommendation is of particular interest to me at this time. Taxi, or guide? Is a guide for a trip to the Acropolis and the Archaeological Museum advisable? If so, any experience with an excellent one?
Thanks,
Nannette
Old Apr 25th, 2007, 08:19 PM

<<The temptation is to take a quick nap but that is a BIG mistake for most people.>>

"Most people" is the key here. If I'm exhaused I nap for an hour or two, take a shower then go out and I am fine and have no problem sleeping at night and getting onto European time. If I am exhausted and don't nap I'm a zombie -- in fact I tripped on a curb in Paris and fell on one trip.

A lot depends on how well rested you are before you leave and whether you get any sleep on the plane. I second the suggestion let your MIL rest if she needs to. I'm sure the teens will be raring to go though.

Have a wonderful trip.
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 11:03 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Luisah!
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 11:25 AM

There isn't one right answer to this question because everyone is different. When my husband and I go to Europe, we usually sleep in the daytime after arriving because we won't really have slept on the plane. This has always worked for us.

Last year, we weren't able to sleep after arriving (had to go to a relative's house for dinner) and it took us about 5 days before we felt fully rested, because in the days after that, we were out and about all day sightseeing and at my aunt's house in the evening for dinner.

So basically, our method is to have a shower after getting to the hotel and sleeping until we wake up. We then go out to eat and walk around a bit, then go back to the hotel and back to bed. By the morning, we're refreshed and ready to go for the rest of the trip.

You might just have to wait until you arrive in Athens and play it by ear. Your kids and mother-in-law might not be so keen to sightsee after travelling for so long, especially if they didn't sleep.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -