Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Advice please on "reasonably" priced restaurants in Venice (for a family of 5)

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 1999, 03:45 PM
Ingrid Steinwascher

Hi - just finished a search on Venice restaurants, and although I found some good recommendations, I wonder if anyone has had the experience of traveling with a large family and has any specific recommendations for places to eat that would accommodate us and not break our budget. It appears from my search that a moderate priced dinner could actuallly cost us around $100-$150. Have I figured correctly? If so, any tips on places to go for "picnic" type lunches? Thanks for your help. Aloha!

Old May 30th, 1999, 04:01 PM
Sally

Try VINO,VINO, close to the American Express and La Fenice. I t is a wine bar that has wonderful inexpensive meals.We ate there for 30,000 L for two. Of course, we chose food carefully.More vegetables and pasta and less meat.The lasagna there is the best we have ever eaten. This is the annex to the famous Antico Marti (sp) restaurant.There are a number of bars where you can get a ham sandwich or pizza to take withyou. You can buy fruit at the markets.

Old May 31st, 1999, 03:02 PM
Sue

Hi, I agree with the above, excellent lasagna, my sister and I had dinner there about a month ago, casual and great for a family dinner.

Old May 31st, 1999, 11:28 PM
Ingrid Steinwascher

Sally & Sue - Thank you for your suggestion. VINO, VINO sounds like something we'd like! Lasagna, yum. Since you are the only two who have responded (I KNOW there are many other experienced travelers on this forum who could help me with this), I can only assume others figured I hadn't done a search and was asking a question that has been answered many times before. Therefore, I doubly appreciate your having taken the time to help me out. Can't wait to go - we're leaving June 6th - and it wont' get here fast enough. Aloha!

Old Jun 1st, 1999, 04:05 AM
elaine

A place I liked very much was Trattoria/Pizzeria San Toma, located in Campo San Toma, less than a 5 minute walk from the vaporetto stop of the same name. Everything from pizza to full dinners available, and there is a garden to sit in in nice weather. <BR>

Old Jun 1st, 1999, 04:06 AM
elaine

A place I liked very much was Trattoria/Pizzeria San Toma, located in Campo San Toma, less than a 5 minute walk from the vaporetto stop of the same name. Everything from pizza to full dinners available, and there is a garden to sit in in nice weather. <BR>

Old Jun 1st, 1999, 05:10 AM
martha

Ingrid--I hope this doesn't come across as wrist slapping, but why are you assuming we could help you but aren't? "(I KNOW there are many other experienced travelers on this forum who could help me with this), I can only assume others figured I hadn't done a search and was asking a question that has been answered many times before." But you said in your post that you did a search. I don't think many of us travel with four family members, so you could also assume that we don't know much finding a place that will leave you money for museums, sleeping indoors, etc. is beyond our ken. Thinking that people could help you and are cruelly chooosing not to will not add to your enjoyment of your trip.

Old Jun 1st, 1999, 06:39 AM
cheryl

Ingrid- <BR> <BR>We were just in Venice for the second time last week, and I can recommend Trattoria/Pizzeria San Trovaso. It is very similar to the place Elaine recommended. You are right that food in Venice will be expensive. But at San Trovaso (and San Toma), pizzas (they are very good) will cost about <BR>$7-8 apiece. For two adults, we ordered 2 pizzas, an appetizer to split, and wine. It was more than enough food. The entire bill came to about $35. I don't think you will find anything much cheaper than that. Whenever we travel, we try to have dinners like that a couple of nights. The other nights, we usually plan on spending about $60 for the two of us. By Venice standards, this is still "moderate", but we have had some fantastic meals. <BR> <BR>I could be wrong, but I wouldn't plan on "picnic-type" meals in Venice, unless you plan on eating in your hotel room, or eating while you walk. Venice has very few places to eat a picnic lunch. Sometimes you can find a bench near a canal, and there is a park area at the very end of the island, past San Marco, but it is not like London and Paris, with lots of green space to picnic. We usually grabbed a sandwich for lunch (about $3 each)and ate while we walked. The best sandwiches we had were at a place right near the Fondamente Nuove (sp?) vaporetto stop. You can't miss it, it has outdoor tables right on the water. I hope this has helped. Have a great trip!

Old Jun 1st, 1999, 08:13 AM
Deb

I know you didn't ask this but knowing that you are going with children, don't forget McDonalds (there are three of them in Venice--one right by the Rialto Bridge). I mention them because whenever I go to Europe, it is amazing how many Americans seem to miss American fast food. <BR> <BR>That said, don't give up on the "picnic-type" meals. Although green space is at a premium, there are many lovely Piazzas with benches to enjoy lunch-you can wandering through the streets of Venice and then open up into a beautiful piazza. So don't give up on picnics. To get your picnic materials (fresh fruits and vegetables, cheeses, etc.) make sure you drop by the Rialto market (near the Rialto bridge). The f & v are delicious--so fresh. Also your children will enjoy all the "interesting" items including live eels, eery looking fish, crabs, etc. that are available at the Rialto fish market. <BR> <BR>And don't forget the gelato! <BR> <BR>Enjoy Venice...it is awesome! Can't wait to go back. <BR> <BR>Deb

Old Jun 1st, 1999, 08:21 AM
Ingrid Steinwascher

Elaine & Cheryl - thank you for your suggestions. I've added them to my list. All of the advice I've received from Fodor's people while planning my trip has been excellent and has really helped me. I have no doubt I'll have the same good luck with these! Thanks. <BR> <BR>Martha - Wow - you said you weren't wrist slapping, but it sure felt like it when I read it. I certainly didn't intend to offend anybody. I think you are being a bit sensitive. It makes me understand how all the arguing I've noticed on this Forum gets started! PLEASE, I don't want to start it here. Sometimes it's difficult to write a post exactly the way you mean it. What I was meant when I said, "I can only assume others figured I hadn't done a search and was asking a question that has been answered many times before," was that there has been much written on the Forum how "new" people keep asking the same questions without doing searches. I couldn't figure out a concise way to explain in the title of message that I had searched, and thought that people were probably bypassing my message (in which I explained that I HAD searched) because they assumed it was another one of those "irritating" posts that had been answered many times before. That was my ONLY meaning. It didn't even occur to me that there were "people who could help" and were "cruelly choosing" not to. I can see one really does need to be very careful about posting. To any others out there who thought I had a hidden message - I'm sorry! With that, I hope this line to my post has ended! Aloha & thanks again to the others for their help.

Old Jun 1st, 1999, 09:45 AM
anne

Ingrid, We were four adults and ate very well in Venice . For L150,000 we had a very good meal at Mascaron, Calle Lunga Santa Maria Formosa 5225, Tel. 522-5995. Also, Trattoria da Bruno, Calle del Paradiso 5731, Tel. 522-1480, lunch came out to less than L100,000. Good luck, Anne

Old Jun 1st, 1999, 01:41 PM
Jeff

Ingrid, <BR> <BR>I too would highly recommend the San Trovaso in Dorsoduro area of Venice not far from Accademia bridge. We ate there for dinner, full meal including wine for approx. $25/person. <BR> <BR>It seemed to be primarily locals eating there, would recommend getting reservations for dinner. <BR> <BR>Best of luck <BR> <BR>Jeff

Old Jun 1st, 1999, 04:38 PM
john govan

<BR>Ingrid, Iwas in Venice six months ago, and found that most places were very expensive. I did pick up a few tips though. I would advise you not to eat in any of the main tourist areas. I found that when I walked into the back streets, awy from the crowds the food was infinitely better quality and often half the price. Eat with the locals. Not the tourists. It's also more fun. Another way to cut costs is not to eat the bread or order water with your meal. Italians charge a fortune for this. I will look through my papers and receipts and try to find the names of a couple of places I found to be good value. You will find that most cafes have really really nice little rolls with great fillings that are good value, and many hotels will deduct the cost of breakfast, which can be eaten in local cafes for a fraction of the cost. I'm sure you'll find some great places to eat and have a lot of fun doing this. <BR>Best of luck.

Old Jun 1st, 1999, 11:10 PM
Ingrid Steinwascher

Oh I'm in heaven! Thank you to all of you who have replied. Besides feeling that I now go armed with some great options for dining (which we LOVE to do), your descriptions of the places and the food served make it hard to wait. We love food, but actually are "grazers," so many of your suggestions fit our style. McDonald's? I've read that they are worth a trip just to try the regional food as it is so different than what is served on the mainland. Although we don't eat much at McDonald's here, I'd be willing to try one there given the interesting choices. I know here in Hawaii we have saimin (Asian noodle soup),and eggs and rice on the breakfast menu at McDonald's. Thanks again to all of you. I'll keep following my post until I leave (the 6th) to check any other suggestions. I'll also be sure to keep track of where I visit so I can be as helpful to others when I return. Aloha!

Old Jun 2nd, 1999, 02:36 AM
francesac

Be aware that Italian restaurants charge a "cover" charge of usually 1.200 lire per person for pane et coperti (bread and silverware, literally). This charge is not negotiable, so not eating the bread won't change your bill. Germany is any story; there they charge you for the bread you consume. Have a great trip.

Old Jun 2nd, 1999, 02:42 AM
Jay Frank

I've mentioned the Gam Gam in the past. You might enjoy it. <BR>

Old Jun 2nd, 1999, 04:20 AM
Rhea

As prev. suggested, do consider Rialto market which has graet meats, cheeses & fruit. I'd go daily & we would always find a bench to sit & eat lunch - esp on the Accademia side facing the water. <BR>Where are you staying?. I do have cheap restaurant tips for you on San Marco side (believe it or not!)

Old Jun 2nd, 1999, 07:06 AM
Beth

There's a nice article at www.eurodata.com about getting lost in Venice, and encouraging one to do so. I thought this quote was amusing, and appropriate to this discussion: <BR> <BR>"one of the economic rules of Venice is <BR> that a capuccino costs 7000 lira if you know where you are, 3500 if you don't."

Old Jun 2nd, 1999, 08:04 AM
Ingrid Steinwascher

Thanks for the additional suggestions, websites. Rhea - we are staying at the Hotel Bisanizo, close to San Marco. I would love to have your "cheap restaurant" suggestions.

Old Jun 2nd, 1999, 09:07 AM
Becky

<BR>I just returned home after spending 3 weeks, wonderful weeks, in Italy. I'd be glad to offer suggestions on Venice; this was my 7th trip to that watery wonderland. Please write me directly; how old are your children? Honestly, there are some places that you're not going to be comfortable with little children. Let me say, that no one is more tolerant of families in reataurants than Italians. I am thinking of the parents here. Just in case we do not touch base otherwise, let me reempasize that you MUST get away from the tourist areas, like San March or you will pay through the teeth. Take a random vaporetto stop and just walk...Doroduro or the neiborhood area of Canareggio. You can cut your food bills by nearly 50%. If the coperto (cover charge) is 2000 each, you begin with a sit down fee of 10,000. I saw pizza for as much as 30,000 and as little as 6000. This is pizza magherita (sp?)...basic tomato and cheese. <BR> <BR> Take a day trip out to Torcello and have lunch in the first restaurant on the path (I cannot remember the name)...there are 3 restaurants, one is Diavolo and the other is Locanda Ciprani...of course I cannot recall the more reasonable one..but you won't be lost. Then take the boat back and stop on Murano to allow the kids to let off some steam amongs the colorful houses and shops. You will enjoy the air and change of pace. Forget the goldola...it is a tourist trap and fun to look at, but not worth $120. Take the short version across the canal, called a traghetto for about 1000L per person. You get to cross the canal in style without getting on a vaporetto and without finding a bridge. <BR> <BR>Best gelato was at Nico on the Zatterre...try Baci or one of the exotic flavors. All are fantastic. <BR> <BR>Another tip. Go to the ACTV office and buy passes for the vaporetti. There are 1 day, 3 and 7 day passes. Less expensive for children I believe. The officials don't often check tickets, but if they do and you're unticketed, there is a steep fine. <BR> <BR>Ciao and buon viaggio! Hope you have a room with air conditioning!!! <BR>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -