Advice please, Cork, Ireland - a no go?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4th, 2004, 09:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're headed to Ireland at the end of the month, on a 13 night, trip, I had given Cork 2 nights, between Kilkenny and Kenmare. Now that I've read back in the posts a bit, it seems people are less than impressed. I thought it sounded like a town with some culture, and liked that there was a theatre across from the hotel we chose. But should I stay elsewhere? Is the construction horrible still? Are Corkonians truly unfriendly to those over 35 (one posters story of getting "rap music" blasted at them at a restaurant until they left)...Or should we give Cork a chance once the construction is complete?

Please advise, I'll need good reasons to tell my husband why we're swerving around the original plan....

Thanks in advance, Fodorites!
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 12:57 AM

I assume you are talking about Cork City? As for People being rude etc this is just one person's experience and has never happened to me. Maybe the music was just too loud and different for their taste in a restaurant. I seriously doubt they put it on to annoy them. If it was rap music it was probably not a restaurant anyway, possbily a care/coffee shop. Don't take one persons bad experience to heart when there are lots more good ones.

As for construction not sure what you mean other than building that is going on in every city in Ireland?

I would go and maybe spend 1 night in the city and 1 in the countryside like Cobh or Kinsale (great restaurants!)
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 01:26 AM

Siobhan - all the streets in Cork are being dug up at the moment, buildings being given a facelift, etc for when Cork becomes the European Capital of Culture.
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 01:59 AM

Can't be any worse than the Luas works and cranes in Dublin! I still would spend a day there and a day in the countryside.
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 02:43 AM

Cork has lots of culture, after all in 2005 it's going to be the culture capital of Europe. The main street Saint Patrick St. has just been completed and currently there is a lot of work going on in preparation for 2005. You will love cork, if you want any info just let me knoe!
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 03:00 AM

For all the low-down on cork try here: (not ENTIRELY serious):

www.peoplesrepublicofcork.com/
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 05:00 AM

We will dock in Port in September 04. We are thinking about bailing from the ship for 2 days and then rejoining her as she sails out of Dublin.
Any ideas about where to find an affordable and affable Corkian to pick us -up take us about- and show us around . Oh yes, and take us to Dublin the next evening - or at least put us on the right bus.
There will be two of us, and possibly four.
Sounds like a lark to me.
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all responses. We're renting an apartment (Isaac's Apartments) on MacCurtain street, 2 night min. My husband (and I) like a bit of nightlife/theatre/museums sprinkled in with our countryside jaunts, so I think we'll stick with the plan.

Anyway, calling all Corkonians. What's on for Sunday and Monday (March 28, 29)! Where to get the Cork craic? Any advice on good pubs, theatre, galleries, etc. Restaurants near our lodging would be great. "Must see sights, etc."

I'll take Cork out for spin, and report back to the board!
Old Mar 6th, 2004, 04:06 AM

sformby,

While I've always preferred rural Cork (particularly the western part of the county) to the city, it'll be interesting to learn of your first impressions.

Given you're staying on MacCurtain, you might want to dine at the nearby Isaac's Restaurant. It's a popular place, with an emphasis on organic foods. Also very close to you is A Taste of Thailand. For something more upmarket, you might look into The Ivory Tower. It's located on the other side of the River Lee, on Princes Street. I suspect the folks at your accommodation can offer you some updates and reviews of these eateries.

Cork City has no memorable tourist sights, but it does have a lively downtown buzz about it. If possible, ditch the car, as driving in the downtown has long been a headache. Stroll the streets and narrow alleyways. The city also has some noteworthy gothic churches, and St. Finbarr's is well worth a look.

If you get a chance, try to get to the North Mall, and have a couple microbrewed beers at Franciscan Well. Formerly a Franciscan monastery, the place has a beer garden in the rear.

Best of luck.
Old Mar 6th, 2004, 05:05 AM

County Cork is my favorite part of Ireland - but Cork City is just a so-so town. It is certainly not terrible and you have gotten some good suggestions but as you notice they are a little underwhelming. You could just as easily rent a hoilday cottage in a nearby village and drive in to town for a look around. Cobh or Kinsale or even Clonakilty would be a nicer place to stay.
Old Aug 13th, 2004, 01:01 PM
Original Poster

Just posting an update to this thread. We did go to Cork for 2 nights on my trip and ...well, we regretted it. MacCurtain street was a very busy thoroughfare and our apartment rental was noisy. The construction was bad and a lot of 1 way streets made driving fun. Bet it is a great place to live, but the average tourist would need to have a Irish friend there to show them a good time. I will say that my favorite pub was in Cork. And we were there the first night of the smoking ban, so that was kinda historic! Just my two-cents.
Old Aug 13th, 2004, 02:39 PM

Rather than a two night stay in Cork City why not spend two nights in rural west cork.
I spent a week in Clonakilty last summer and loved it...plenty of pubs, restaurants, trad music, lively atmosphere and within driving distance of Kinsale, Cobh to the east and Bantry and Skibbereen to the west. All in all a great spot!