My wife and I are looking to do a month in Europe over December/January (it will most likely be roughly the 10th - 10th). She has done a package tour through a lot of countries (this was around 8 years ago now), while I have visited sporadically for work but never for pleasure. We have both visited during this time of year before, and know what to expect with regards to temperature/short days, and are entirely comfortable with it (we love winter/Christmas!).
Ideally we are thinking of visiting four countries as we do not want to catch ourselves permanently being in transit and missing the point of our trip. We are not interested in skiing/snowboarding, we are more after culture / food / scenery / museums etc.
The cities we have on our shortlist are:
Somewhere in Germany (no real clue here, everyone says Berlin but we are open)
We are definitely going to London, as I have never been, and we'd really love to spend some time in Scotland also (we'd probably do these two in around 8 days combined and shave a few days off another stop), but aren't sure just how restrictive the weather at that time of year might be.
We are also unsure of where is best to spend Christmas and New Years given the closures that occur around this time.
Does anybody have any advice or suggestions for us? We are very early in planning this trip so nothing is booked or set in stone
Thanks for any help or feedback you might have!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Planning a Trip from DC to Anywhere in Europe (Budget Friendly)
- 2 Current plan for March trip
- 3 First time in Spain
- 4 Help me pick a destination --- Please!
- 5 Connecting trains in Chambery
- 6 Barcelona to Malaga
- 7 Four Nights in Nice--What should we do?
- 8 where to buy baby gifts in paris?
- 9 Best area to stay in Amsterdam for a first time visitor
- 10 Looking for Paris Rental Apt.
- 11 Copying a post on Swiss gondolas.
- 12 Christmas in Granada....food!
- 13 Help needed for Bergamo to Venice journey
- 14 Dublin for St. Patricks Day
- 15 Recommendations Budget hotel Paris
- 16 Mid-May stay in Lauterbrunnen or Murren
- 17 beware of robbed in Milan
- 18 Help me get excited about a week in Portugal
- 19 A Merry marvelousmouse, and (likely more than one) cup of good cheer!
- 20 Wedding In Cambridge England
- 21 Once upon a time in Italy
- 22 Chinese new year festivities in Paris
- 23 GTG Paris December 2017
- 24 Paris November 2017
- 25 Christmas day lunch in prague