Reload this Page >

Advice on Walking Tours - Rome, Venice, Siena

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5th, 1999, 05:16 PM
Mike Miller

Looking for input from anyone who has been on some walking tours they considered well worth the price.

Old Aug 6th, 1999, 07:29 AM
Beth

I can't help you with a firsthand recommendation. But I can offer some websites for you to check out: <BR> <BR>www.scalareale.com <BR>www.venicescapes.com <BR>www.initaly.com <BR>

Old Aug 6th, 1999, 09:46 AM
julie

Mike -- we took the antica tour through the Scala Reale tour company. Absolutely fabulous and you can sign up by e-mail before you go. Can't recommend it enough. Small groups and great historical information.

Old Aug 6th, 1999, 12:18 PM
Walter

Mike: A poster on rec.travel.europe praised this tour company www.rome-tours.com/ It's $50US/hr for a group of 1 to 5. I snipped the post and I'll e-mail it to you. HTH Regards, Walter <BR>

Old Jun 22nd, 2001, 09:44 AM
Meg

Mike, I happened to stumble across your email and I wanted to let you know about the company that I work for. I work for a cultural association in Rome and we offer walking tours around Rome. Our tours include: <BR> <BR>An ancient city walk through the Roman Forum. <BR> <BR>A Vatican City tour through the museums and the basilica. <BR> <BR>A trip to the early Christian Catacombs which includes Circus Maximus, the Mouth of Truth, and St. Peter's in Chains. <BR> <BR>Last but not least, a night walking tour of Rome that visits the various Baroque and Renaissance piazzas and fountains. This includes the Campidoglio, Piazza Venezia, Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, the Pantheon, and Piazza Navona. <BR> <BR>If are interested in learning more about our company, the meeting places, or prices feel free to email. We are a friendly english speaking company that does not require booking and allows for a maximum amount of flexibilty. Have a safe trip to Rome!! <BR> <BR>Meg Zimmerman <BR>Discover Rome

Old Jun 22nd, 2001, 09:52 AM
Diane

We hooked up with "Walks of Rome" at the forum (one of their freebies). It was good, so we signed up for the St. Peters/Vatican Museum tour the next day. It was fabulous. They also do a city walk, but we used the one in Rick Steve's Italy and covered pretty much the same ground on our own. However, the tours are a fun way to meet other travelers, and that's a bonus. They have an email: [email protected] <BR>

Old Jun 24th, 2001, 05:10 AM
Karen

Mike,<BR>We were in Italy this past May and took 2 walks with 'Walks of Rome'.<BR>I found them at www.walksofeurope.com<BR>The walks were excellent.<BR>For the Vatican museums and St. Peters, our guide was an art historian. She was great. You could spend weeks there, and she knew how to get us throught the hilights in one day.<BR>Well worth the price!

Old Jun 25th, 2001, 07:38 PM
Mike

Just returned from Italy and we were<BR>so pleased with the Scala Reale tour that we booked through the Internet.<BR>We enjoyed a four hour tour of Rome with a wonderful guide in a very small<BR>group. In addition to that tour we were<BR>able to take advantage of the Introductory Tour of Rome that was lead by a great young man (Matt) that was also so informative. Cannot recommend this particular company high enough and<BR>normally we do not ever take an organized tour. Have a great trip!<BR>Kay

Old Jun 27th, 2001, 01:22 PM
Nancy

We used this company and really enjoyed it, for one thing they are English speaking so it is easy to understand them speaking outside. Another good thing is they have walking tours and with small groups. ENJOY ROME. <BR>Tel: 39-06 445 1843, located at Via<BR>Marghera, 8A.

Old Jun 27th, 2001, 02:21 PM
LHR

Dear Mike,<BR><BR>You have received some excellent responses to your request for information on walking tours in Rome. <BR> <BR>I am also a tour guide here in Rome and I highly recommend that you use a guide service (be that mine or some one elses) as there is so much incredible history here but unfortunately which is unfortunatley hard to discover. This is because there is not a lot of signage and what there is, is usually in Italian only.<BR><BR>My company is a group of young, professional and energetic guides whose philosophy is "quality not quantity". Therefore we do ask that you reserve a place on one of our tours to ensure that you have a limited group number of no more than 16. This definately enhances the quality of your tour as you will easily be able to ask your guide questions and to be able to see and hear the guide.<BR><BR>The tours we offer include The Vatican City (incl Museum), Ancient City (Forums, historical centre including the famous Spanish Steps, Piazza Navona, The Trevi Fountain, the amazing dome at the Pantheon, Piazza Venezia and the Campidoglio designed by Michelangelo.<BR>We also offer day trips to Pompeii and Capri as well as private tours to many wonderful areas outside of Rome.<BR><BR>Unfortunately our web site is "under construction" at present. However if you would like more detailed information on the wonderful tours that we offer, or need any general information (about anything at all) please feel free to email direct to <BR>[email protected] <BR><BR>Enjoy bella Roma!!!<BR><BR>

Old Jun 27th, 2001, 06:52 PM
Rod Hoots

Mike:<BR><BR>In Venice, American Express has a daily tour of the beautiful Frari church, followed by a group gondola ride. Good tour and a very reasonable and fun way take a gondola ride.