Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Advice on visiting France and Italy in June

Apr 8th, 2003, 07:03 PM
Original Poster

My 17 year old son and I will leave New Orleans on 7 June, returning on the 27th. We plan to fly to Paris, train to Venice, Florence and Rome, Pompeii, etc.

I have never been to France or Italy, and speak a little French and am working on Italian phrases. What would you guys suggest that we do, where to stay, etc? I think three days in Paris, then divide the remainder of the trip in Italy. If you guy say we should stay in France longer, tell me what we should do?

I thought of ending the trip in Athens, but I hear they are closing the museums to get ready for Olympics. I need to verify that rumor before I totally eleminate that leg. I think this would be just enough time to get a good taste of France and Italy alone. What do you think of adding Greece at the end?

Thanks for the help.
LDSledge
Baton Rouge, La.
Apr 9th, 2003, 06:02 AM

Hi.

Why not just concentrate on Italy and leave Paris for another trip?
Apr 9th, 2003, 06:07 AM

definitely leave Greece off. You can easily fill 20 days in Italy OR France, no need to add another lengthy leg. And someone did post here a little while back that several of the Greek museums were closed prior to the Olympics.

It's hard to offer suggestions on what to do without knowing what your interests are? Art? Architecture? Anthropology? Ancient history? gardens? scenery?
Apr 9th, 2003, 06:09 AM

I would forget Greece this trip. You have more than enough with the chosen destinations. You have 19 nites to enjoy Europe. I would add a 5th destination to break up the long trip to Venice--and it should be a site for natural beauty. I vote for Lugano for 2 nites, or perhaps Luzern. You are already late for hotel bookings for this year--or did you mean 2004?
Apr 9th, 2003, 06:10 AM
ira

Hi LD
I agree with Danacat. With only 10 days do either Paris/France or Italy.

You will have to take an overnight train from Paris to Florence or Rome or else spend a day on a train with at least one connection.

See http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/ for schedules.

Also, by the time you have become used to saying "s'il vous plait" you will have to say "per favore".

Have a great trip, whatever you do.
Apr 9th, 2003, 06:11 AM

You may be cutting yourself short in Paris by a day or so but I think you can see alot in three days unless you are interested in visiting the Chateau around the outskirts of Paris or going to Provence etc. That would probably not be very exciting though for a 17 year old. Don't worry too much about speaking french, just get your basic phrases down which is more for being polite than actually needing to use it.

As for finding out what to do and where to stay I would use your guidebook for what to do and start doing a search on this board with Paris as the subject. You could also do hotels in Paris as a search because that question has been asked hundreds of times on this board. Most people here prefer staying in the 6th arrondisment since it is very central but the 5th and the 1st are good too. Just start reading other posts and your guidebook and you will figure it out.

You are going to be pushed for time anyway in Italy so I would not do the Athens trip. You can do an overnight train from Paris to Venice and save yourself a day of travel. Have fun
Apr 9th, 2003, 01:44 PM

Hi
I count 19 days. I'd allow five days in Paris, perhaps with one daytrip.
I'd also look into a cheap airfare to Venice, it might not be significantly more expensive than that long train ride.
Then I'd say, Venice 4 days, Florence 4 days (including a daytrip to Siena or wineries or...), and Rome 6 days, with a daytrip to Pompeii. Fly home from Rome.

Look into walking tours in Rome--it can be an overwhelming place with so much to see.

I have files on Paris, Florence, Venice and Rome; if you'd like to see any of them, email me at
[email protected]
Apr 9th, 2003, 02:37 PM

you can now fly from Paris to Milan on RyanAir for cheap. That saves you a 13 hour train ride!