Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Advice on Umbria and Tuscany are we doing tooo much (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/advice-on-umbria-and-tuscany-are-we-doing-tooo-much-856444/)

ceramicgirl Aug 25th, 2010 08:33 PM

Advice on Umbria and Tuscany are we doing tooo much

We are planning Italy trip to umbria and tuscany for 4 days departing from Rome.Hiring a car in Rome and dropping it off at Florence airport. We plan to head off to Orvietto then Deruta (as I love majiolica and painting ceramics) then off to Perugia. we plan on staying at the Brufani Hotel (anyone been,& any comments on alternative accomadation or recommendations) we plan on stayng here for 2 nights.
Day 2 head off to Gubbio and maybe Spello(what do you recommend??)then back to Perugia for more exploring. Day 3 head off to Siena and then San Gimingnano for 2 nights at maybe Relais Chiara hotel just outside Perugia.What is best way of seeing Perugia, drive into Perugia, bus?? Day 4 Voltera and Montelupo for more ceramics, then back to San Gimingnano overnight. Day 5 head to Florence for our flight into Athens.
How does this itenarary sound. Has anyone have comments or recommendations, where to leave the car entering these cities, must see and dos, places to eat.
Look forward to hearing from you all.

greg Aug 25th, 2010 08:56 PM

Have you already plugged in your itinerary into route planners such as maps.google.com or www.viamichelin.com to get an optimistic travel time estimates to find out how much time you have left at each destination?

ceramicgirl Aug 25th, 2010 09:42 PM

Yes greg,I have, thats I woked out the itenarary, with working the distances between the cities.

CaliNurse Aug 25th, 2010 09:46 PM

Greetings, Ceramicgirl!

Are you planning (or wanting) to spend time in Florence, or just part of a day before your flight to Athens?
Where are you planning to stay in San Gimignano? I ask for selfish reasons--starting to plan trip to there for next June!

ceramicgirl Aug 25th, 2010 09:51 PM

oops, sorry, Santa Chiara Hotel is in San Gimingnano not Perugia,my mistake in my exitment to get this written up my Umbria and Tuscany converged.

ceramicgirl Aug 25th, 2010 09:55 PM

No problem CaliNurse, no we are not staying in Florence, were heading to the airport to fly out into Greece where we will spend a month on the islands.

UmbriaLovers Aug 26th, 2010 01:23 AM

Hi there! About Umbria (we live here): probably Orvieto+Deruta the same day it's too much. It's 1 hour by car and the road has a lot of curves, I think you'll arrive tired. Orvieto's ceramics is fantastic, our favourite style and design. I think you could enjoy more staying in Orvieto all day long and then move towards Perugia. Orvieto has got also the visit of the caves of the town (Orvieto underground) which is really interesting + a lot of nice places to eat well.

Gubbio-Spello the same, you can't do them in one day. Perugia-Gubbio is about 1 hour and still the road goes through hills therefore a lot of curves. You could do Gubbio one day and then Spello the other. About Brufani: we've never been there but it is one of the most important hotels in Perugia, however, if you are by car, you could also think of staying in an Agritourism, for us it is the best way to understand the spirit of Umbria. Hope to have helped and I'll give you the link of some pics we made on our last trip to Orvieto, with some ceramics shops: http://www.flickr.com/photos/umbrial...7623459927621/

ceramicgirl Aug 26th, 2010 03:49 PM

thanks umbrialover, we only have 4 days in total.2 in umbria and 2 in Tuscany. I dont want to stay in Orvieto as it is to far down to what we want to see, Deruta, Perugia and maybe Gubbio.Then across to San Gimingnano, w9ith siena on the way.

jubilada Aug 26th, 2010 04:42 PM

yes you are doing too much.

UmbriaLovers Aug 26th, 2010 11:04 PM

Ok. So you have quite clear ideas... :-). About the car: In Orvieto there is a big car park a the foot of the hill, near the station, and then you can climb up walking to the center or take a bus/funicular/elevator, just ask at the station, you can by also tickets there. Deruta is quite easy to access by car, you won't have any problem. Perugia, if you stay at Brufani, they should have some special service for cars, just ask them, otherwise Perugia has different parks, we wrote about them here: http://umbrialoversblog.blogspot.com...-medieval.html
We are not so sure about this one, but we remember that parkings are not far to the center, so you can easily walk there. Hope to have helped.

bobthenavigator Aug 27th, 2010 07:05 AM

With a car I would drive into Orvieto from the west and park near the Duomo. Actually, I would drive about 3 miles west of town to the lot with fantastic views back at the town and the Duomo.

ceramicgirl Aug 27th, 2010 04:55 PM

thanks guys for all your advice, Umbrialover I loved your pics. and the ceramic shops, we will definetly hang around orvieto. As for the car parking we will keep an eye out for where to leave it.You have been very helpfull.

tuscanlifeedit Aug 27th, 2010 06:08 PM

Since you asked for advice, I would say yes, you are planning too much.

Gubbio has a distinctive and lovely style of ceramics, and many great shops.

mamcalice Aug 27th, 2010 06:45 PM

We stayed at the Santa Chiara a few years ago. It was just outside the San Gimignano walls so parking was not difficult and getting in and out of town was pretty easy.

Your trip sounds very full for 4 days. You may have to be flexible and skip a couple of stops.