Advice on Trip Insurance?

Apr 6th, 2002, 11:56 PM
Annie Hebert

Advice on Trip Insurance?

We will be going to Italy in September but someone in my family is struggling with cancer. Has anyone had good luck with trip cancellation insurance? Any good sources? Thanks! Annie

Apr 7th, 2002, 12:14 AM
Elaine

I can't give you any recommendations on what insurance to buy, but whatever you decide upon, make sure you read the small print very carefully. Most policies (in the UK at any rate) only pay up for cancellation due to death or illness of IMMEDIATE family members, so (depending on your relationship with the sick person) you might need to determine what "immediate" actually means. Also pre-existing conditions are often excluded, not just for the travellers themselves, but also for anybody else on whom the trip may depend.

Apr 7th, 2002, 06:47 AM
Kay

I use Healthcare Abroad with Wallach&Co. I think they have the best rates for the coverage, but I look for catastropic medical coverage. They only offer up to $5000 of trip cancellation coverage. As Elaine said, read carefully, call them, and get it in writing! Access America and Travel Gard are two others that seem to be recommended for trip cancellation coverage. I am struggling with a similar problem, but plan to spend time with them before I leave, and if the worst happens, I am instructing my family not to tell me until I get home. Everyone has to make those decisions for themselves.

Apr 11th, 2002, 12:28 PM
Tad

to the top

Apr 11th, 2002, 12:48 PM
elaine

www.insuremytrip.com allows you to compare policies and quotes from up to five companies simultaneously.
World Travel Center is a broker handling a variety of travel insurance policies. They can provide policies for "special needs" or circumstances. If you are in the US, Call 800 786 5566 or www.worldtravelcenter.com