advice on travelling to italy

Old Sep 17th, 2005, 05:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
advice on travelling to italy

Does anyone have advice on travelling to italy with an infant? We aren't bringing a car seat with us, and hope that it will be no problem getting around on trains. We're going to fly in to Venice for a week and then spend a week in Florence. Does anyone have any logistical advice??? we're nervous about how difficult it will be, for example, getting from Venice airport to the city...

Thanks!
Old Sep 17th, 2005, 06:22 PM

There are dozens of useful threads that have been discussed here many times. Try typing "traveling with an infant" in the search field.

Maybe someone can attach or top one for you...I'll try as well.
Old Sep 17th, 2005, 06:25 PM

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34396677

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...mp;tid=1339959

Old Sep 19th, 2005, 12:01 AM

Traveller45, we enjoyed the public transportation in Venice, the vaporettos. However, with an infant, you would be better off spending a little more for a private water taxi.

The main poblem you will have on trains is that you will have to haul your luggage onto the train, as well as carry the baby. Therefore you must pack light! Plan in advance which hotel or B&B stops are convenient for doing laundry. On the train you must watch all of your luggage to avoid being victims of theft...and of course meanwhile you will be watcing your infant as well. Again, can't stress it enough, pack light! No huge suitcases.
Old Sep 19th, 2005, 01:05 AM

You don't say the age of your infant, and whether you are bring a buggy/pushchair or if your child will be carried in a carrier strapped to you.

Venice is difficult to get around with a wheelchair or pushchair, due to each bridge having steps each side. It involves a lot of bumping up and down, or else you have to lift and carry the buggy up and over. Also there are steps and stairs in almost every church. It is perfectly easy to use the vaporetti with a pushchair, and that won't be a problem for you.

Have a great trip.
Old Sep 19th, 2005, 01:11 AM

It would be easiest carrying the baby in a carrier that is strapped to your body. I don't know how old your baby is, but we've always taken a lightweight collapsible stroller with us, so baby can sleep when he/she wants. And it makes a difference what time of the year you are going. Venice often floods in winter, and a stroller would be very difficult to use.
Old Sep 19th, 2005, 11:11 AM

We recently did a trip to Venice with our infant son. Here are a few comments that come to mind....
Bus to and from the airport- no problem. You take a bus to Venice from the airport and then a Public Vaparetto to the nearest stop to your hotel.
You will need to carry your child up and down stairs all day long. We used a stroller and together we would carry our son up each flight of stairs, with one of us on each side holding on to the stroller. I highly recomend buckling the child in! You get so good at it you barely hold up the people behind you!
I've been to Florence, but not with my son. I can't think of anything that would cause any problems though....
Good luck. We are actually leaving for Umbria in a few weeks ourselves!
Old Sep 19th, 2005, 11:26 AM

highly recommend considering the water taxi from Venice Airport to the city..worth the money when you're with an infant, baggage, etc.All depends on budget. I don't recall the xact cost.

Stu
Old Sep 19th, 2005, 11:32 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't have any great advice, just a comment: Italy must be one of the most baby/kid-loving countries in the world. You'll get lots of friendly help and attention wherever you go.