Search

Advice on Travel Plan from Frankfurt to Dusseldorf

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16th, 2004, 10:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice on Travel Plan from Frankfurt to Dusseldorf

Hi Everyone,

I posted on this topic quite a few months ago, but now I have a solid plan. I just want to verify if this makes sense. Okay I will be flying into Frankfurt Main Airport on the 10 of April, 2004 which will probably be a busy day due to Easter Sunday. I arrive at the airport at 655 am and plan to take the 1145 am ICE (no change) train from Frankfurt Flughafen Fernbf to Dusseldorf Flughafen. I am getting a first class ticket due to the fact that I will be carrying a backpack and two large suitcases (about 15-20 kilos each). Since I am new to europe I anticipate the need to figure out where the train station (Terminal 1) is and how to go about getting on and off the train with so much luggage, hence the 4 hour wait between arrival and departure from the train station. If there are any suggestions please advise since I have yet to buy my train ticket.

Thanks.
Old Mar 16th, 2004, 10:54 PM
Original Poster

Also, I forgot to add that I will be buying my ticket online since I am currently in India. The only problem is that to buy an online ticket (bahn.de) the page is only in german. Is there any alternative to this.
Thanks.
Old Mar 17th, 2004, 01:16 AM
JonJon

Since you are arriving so early I would still consider taking the 0945 departure for Dusseldorf which also requires no changes. The railroad station at the Frankfort airport is integrated into the terminal buildings and is easy to reach. I cannot imagine it would take you more than two hours to clear Customs/Immigration unless the plane arrives very late.
I'm not convinced you'll need to buy either a First Class ticket OR that you need to buy it on line...you could probably do so when you arrive and there will be plenty of space AT THE END OF EACH CAR to store your luggage..the advantage of being in First Class is that there is more room (fewer seats crammed into each car).
You can view the GermanRail website IN ENGLISH...I will send you the link in my next post.

Old Mar 17th, 2004, 01:17 AM
JonJon

Here is the English language link for the GermanRail site:
http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

Old Mar 17th, 2004, 01:21 AM
JonJon

Use this link for the English version of the Frankfort airport website...I think it has a map to show you where the rail station is located. Good luck.
http://www.frankfurt-airport.de/b2c/...rarea=homepage

Old Mar 17th, 2004, 01:23 AM
JonJon

On the Frankfort airport website hit the link on the left-hand sidebar that says "Getting to and From" and then hit the link within that for the regional rail station..the map will pop up for you.

Old Mar 17th, 2004, 08:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks JonJon. I have looked at all those sites already. When you actually try to purchase the ticket online it is only in german. Besides that you don't think there will be a large crowd that sat. before easter sunday? Also although I'm a US citizen I am coming from India and they might scrutinize me more in customs due to the recent attack in Madrid. I was also just assuming that first class ticket will have more space for luggage and less crowds. Any new help will be appreciated. Thanks.
Old Mar 18th, 2004, 06:36 AM

Trains do sometimes fill up. When we flew into Frankfurt in June of 2002, we wanted to travel second class to Bamberg, but second class was full, so we ended up buying first class tickets. We got two of the last tickets for first class--the problem was with the Frankfurt to Wuerzburg leg of the trip.
Old Mar 18th, 2004, 06:52 AM
JonJon

This is another reason why I usually spring for a dfirst class ticket because 2nd is usually more crowded and fills up sooner.
I still think that given the number of trains that run this route daily, including weekends, there won;t be any trouble getting a seat (and I'm the one who always thinks he needs a reservation, too, but I'm learning!!!)
On another note...the train station in Frankfurt has two services in and out..the usual regional rail and the long distance trains..make sure you get on the right train..also..some of the ICE's will travel north toward Cologne on the conventional route, which takes longer, while others are using the newer high speed route which has cut ICE travel time from Cologne to Frankfort airport down to an hour or less, so make sure you get on the right train. Good luck.

Old Mar 18th, 2004, 07:09 AM

I have been on many ICE runs that serve Frankfurt airport (and many are the Dusseldorf route) and think you are VERY wise to go first class and get a seat reservation.
In January, I decided to go with the opinions of several Fodorites and travel second class without a seat reservation. Never again!! The train was PACKED, it was a major fight to find a seat and a place to put our luggage. I ended up not being able to sit anywhere close to my traveling partner and the trip was pretty stressful on the whole. As soon as we got off the train, I said, that's it, we're upgrading our tickets to first class with seat reservations for the return, and the voyage back was smooth and relaxing.
You are flying over a busy week-end, so again another reason to spring for first class and reservations. You won't regret it!
Re Dusseldorf Airport train station. You can take an elevator (I can't remember if there's also an escalator, but I think there is) from the platform up to the main part of the Dusseldorf airport station. From there, turn right (if you're coming the from the direction I think you are), then head into the station. Then you go left to take the airport monorail to the airport terminal. It's pretty smooth, I've done it on my own with a LOT of luggage.
If luggage carts are available down on the train platform, take one, but as I *recall*, you can't take a luggage cart from the train station area on the monorail over to the airport terminal.
Have a pleasant trip!
Old Mar 21st, 2004, 09:58 PM
Original Poster

Hi again,

Thanks for the help. I have decided to just implement the plan that I had in my post. To bypass the german online booking I am going to call them and pick up my tickets from the station. Thanks for the help.
Old Mar 23rd, 2004, 02:38 PM

You can also buy train tickets from a travel agent. Saves you the hassle of picking them up at the station.