Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Advice on travel logistics with 78 year old mom.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20th, 2004, 05:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm taking my mom to Florence and Venice in mid-May. We have both been to Rome a few times and have no interest at this this time to go again.

My problem is I can't decide where to fly in and where to depart from.

My thoughts are to fly into Venice, stay a few days and take the train to florence. When leaving Florence should we fly into Venice and connect to U.S. Or should we take train back to Venice or Rome and fly out from there. I'm not sure if the train station is near the airport. I don't want my mom to be stressed out about missing a connection from the train station to the airport or spend a lot of time running around.

I hope I'm clear and thanks in advance for all of your help.
Old Nov 20th, 2004, 06:25 AM

Hello SashieZ

I think a lot could depend on where exactly in the US will be your initial airline gateway; this could affect what options you have. You might have the option, for example, of flying into Florence-Pisa and leaving from Venice. Personally, I found Venice the easiest Italian airport to navigate. So, at a guess, I'd say leave from Venice since at that point you have the long flight ahead of you instead of behind you.

Good luck with your plans.

Good luck with your plans.
Old Nov 20th, 2004, 06:25 AM

It is a blessing to be able to travel with one's elderly partent. I was fortunate to visit Spain with my parents last month.

Eurostar train takes about 3 hours from Florence to Venice, 1 1/2 hour to Rome. Bus from Venice train station SL to airport takes about 1/2 hour, about the same time for express train from Rome Termini Station to Airport Fiumicino.

It takes less time to depart from Rome, but open leg ticket is more expensive. If you don't mind the expense, another option is departing from Pisa airport (quite a few interantion flights from there),it is just a short train ride from Florence. Besides, it is a very small airport,much easier/quicker to get around.

But as you said, you could fly from Florence airport to Venice; But It will mean you have to spend lots time (1-2 hours each one)hang around the airports, both in Florence and Venice are all too small to be of any interest.
Old Nov 20th, 2004, 06:44 AM

I did this trip with my 73 YO mom a couple of years ago.

The hardest part was the train as she walked with a cane and I had to load and unload all the baggage. My pleas to pack light were unfortunately not heeded! Anyway, there are no porters to help so just be aware.

I would strongly suggest flying into Vanice and out of Florence. I often fly into and out of Florence and it saves the hassle of the train connection in Rome and is not expensive if you book ahead.

The trip with mom was wonderful and she has made another trip since.

Old Nov 20th, 2004, 08:49 AM
ira

Hi SZ,

A lot depends on what's available.

You don't want to fly out of Venice at 0600.

I suggest fly into Venice.
You can take the bus to Pzza Roma, the Alilaguna water shuttle to various stops or a water taxi (90E or so) to your hotel.

See http://www.chfi.unipd.it/~p.scrimin/...volo%20eng.pdf

Leave from Florence (FLR) if you can. Otherwise you can leave from Pisa (PSA) or Venice, or Fome (FCO).

Open jaw is usually about the same price as RT.
Old Nov 20th, 2004, 09:29 AM

I agree with Ira. The flights to the States from Venice are always so early in the morning. At least to the westcoast of the USA that I think that would be difficult for her. Plus not only the early flight but getting her to the airport from your hotel in Venice. Do have a great trip! I am sure it will be very special.
Old Nov 20th, 2004, 10:28 AM

I think a lot depends on which airline you are taking and where your home is. When I studied this situation in 2003, it seemed that all the flights out of Venice left very early in the morning, which was complicated by the problem of getting to the airport. So I would suggest flying into Venice, and returning from elsewhere.

I found relatively few flights from Florence, but more from Pisa, which is easily reached from Florence. Milan might also offer opportunities, but is farther from Florence.

My experience is that open-jaw flights are very cost competitive, especially when you consider that they save you the time and cost of returning to your original destination.

Enjoy your trip. Both Florence and Venice are great destinations.
Old Nov 20th, 2004, 10:29 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your helpful replies.

I think the idea of arriving in Venice and departing from Florence is a good idea. We will be taking a night flight from New York and I'm sure after that flight my mom will just want to lay down. Departing from Florence with a connection thru Milan or Rome to New York won't be so trying since it's a day flight.

I'm assuming there are no direct flights from Florence to NY...

thanks again
Old Nov 20th, 2004, 01:35 PM

You could also connect from Pisa to London (Heathrow) then New York. This way, you avoid backtracking, and have a few hours of the long flight behind you by the time you get to London.

Old Nov 20th, 2004, 04:00 PM

when I flew Delta once to Italy (from and to JFK) I was visiting Venice and Florence. I flew into Venice. When departing, I flew Florence to Rome, changed planes (more than enough time between them), then flew home from Rome.
It was quite easy.
Old Nov 21st, 2004, 10:14 AM
ira

Hi S,

>I'm assuming there are no direct flights from Florence to NY...<

Expect to changer planes. You have lot's of options, Rome, Milan, Frankfurt, Paris, London.
Old Nov 21st, 2004, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

Hmmmmm...change planes in Paris...maybe my mom would like a few days in paris... and I thought I had everything worked out! thanks ira