Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Advice on Travel from Paris to Normandy via way of Versailles and Chartes

Apr 8th, 2018, 07:47 PM
Original Poster

I’m planning a 3 week trip to Europe. We will have a total of 4 in our group. The last week we will be in France. We will arrive in Paris by train on a Friday at 5pm. Plan to be in Paris from Friday till Tuesday. Four nights and 3 full days. One couple has never seen Versailles and I would like to see Chartres Cathedral again. We all want to spend some days in Normandy. This is my plan...

Rent a car in Paris early Tuesday morning. Arrive at Versailles before it opens and take a tour when it opens at 9am. Stay at Versailles till noon . Plan to drive to Chartres (90 minutes will give me about 20 minute of extra time ). Hoping to get an afternoon tour of the Cathedral. We would then drive to Bayeux . This is about a 3 hour drive. We arrive late and spend 3 days and 4 nights in Normandy. In Normandy we plan one full day on a guided tour . One day to visit the Caen museum. One day to drive over and spend some time at Mont Saint-Michel. We will drive to the airport on Saturday. On the way we will stop and see Giverny. Saturday we will turn in our car and spend the night at a airport hotel. Fly home Sunday. I would appreciate any advice .

Thanks,

Joe
Apr 9th, 2018, 03:23 AM

You have posted in the Caribbean forum. You should post this in the Europe forum.
Apr 9th, 2018, 09:58 AM

Or let the moderators know & they'll move it for you.
Apr 10th, 2018, 06:46 AM

Try to catch Malcolm Miller's Chartres Cathedral tours - been doing it for eons and brings the stones and windows to life -

Cathédrale de Chartres
Apr 10th, 2018, 07:16 AM

From the Versailles-Chantiers station, trains to Chartres are direct. You could pick up a rental car in Chartres.
Apr 10th, 2018, 07:16 AM

You´ll want to leave Paris as soon as you can on Tuesday. Your Tuesday schedule seems tight with little margin for unknowns. I´m not sure when rental offices open but you´ll want to find one somewhere between Montparnasse and Porte d´Auteuil which gives you easy access to A13 for Versailles.

The crowds are such that I would personally not even consider Versailles in the summer and if you´re going to Chartres, Malcolm Miller´s tour is something you do not want to miss. I would definitely plan this day around MM and fit Versailles in if you can.

When you return on A13 to visit Giverny, continue to A14, A86, and on to A1. There is a fuel station at the CDG entrance where you can fill up your car.
Apr 10th, 2018, 05:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, I hope to see him. I took a tour from him in 1972,,,
Apr 10th, 2018, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, great suggestion !
Apr 11th, 2018, 06:52 AM

Malcolm has done tours of catheral at Chartres since 1958! 60 years ago - hoping he is still around this year!
Apr 11th, 2018, 04:18 PM

I think I would put Chartres in the first day, get out there early and try to make the noon tour-that way if you miss it you can get the 2:45 one, then go to Bayeux. And, then even though it it will be a Saturday, hit Giverny and Versailles on the way back, because you will be staying at an airport hotel that night so you won't care if you get there somewhat late and you can have nice dinner somewhere before you get out to hotel that night, and you won't have Malcolm Miller's schedule to have to work around. I am assuming you are flying out of CDG and not Orly? If it is Orly, then my advice might be different

Also, I have found you will get a much better choice of cars, and generally cars in better shape at either a train station agency or airport agency, so I would probably use an agency at Montparnasse Station if you go to either Versailles or Chartres first. You don't say where you are staying in Paris so that might also be a consideration for you.