Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Advice on Tour Companies (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/advice-on-tour-companies-179234/)

vvv352 Jan 2nd, 2007 07:11 PM

Advice on Tour Companies

Hi All,

I am planning my first European trip this spring. The target destination is Rome(Vatican). Would also like to take in London, Paris and maybe Switzerland. Several tour companies offer tours with itineraries that meet my needs. However, I am not sure which company to select. The companies currently under consideration are Trafalgar, Insight and Perillo. I would appreciate any advice/feedback on these companies and tours to Europe.

Thanks,
vvv352

travelinwifey Jan 2nd, 2007 09:24 PM

My parents used Trafalgar for Italy and one US trip and were very happy. Insight is also owned by Trafalgar, just a higher end of the same company with city-center hotels and a few more included activities.

The one big disappointment of my parent's Italy tour was that their Venice visit did not include lodging in Venice but outide in a town called Lido de..(forgot name). To me staying in Venice makes a huge difference when enjoying the area.

Both Trafalgar and Insight have their own message boards through www.trafalgar.com so you may want to check them out. Many posters there have toured Trafalgar/Insight numerous times and can give more in depth info.

Perillo seems to be hit or miss. Some people are very happy and others are disappointed. Do a text search for Perillo and see what you pull up.

Finally, do go to www.trafalgartours4less.com for 14% off trafalgar tours and other discounts of other tour companies. trafalgartours4less.com discounts all tour companies, just send an email if you are interrested in another tour company.

If you are considering Italy alone or the UK I highly recommend www.cietours.com. They are run by the Irish government and they have the best overall product for lodging/sights/meals and price. Hope this helps.

navgator Jan 2nd, 2007 10:09 PM

you could also try cosmos tours, they are a little cheaper than trafalgar and have the option of sharing a room or paying a single supplement, if this is relevant to you.
http://www.cosmos.com/ . Globus is also another company which is part of the same group. they are a little more expensive than cosmos but from what has been indicated to me, the hotels are a little nicer.
I travelled with cosmos last year in Italy , and for a budget company , thought thay were great. Just be aware some hotels will not be in centre of all towns, part of their way of keeping costs down.

ira Jan 3rd, 2007 01:45 AM

Hi vvv,

Are you sure that you want a tour?

London, Paris and Rome are very easy to plan on your own.

You get to choose your hotels, your scheule and the things you want to see.

You can always hire a guide in each city.

((I))

Sue_xx_yy Jan 3rd, 2007 04:51 AM

You mention tours with itineraries that meet your needs.

I notice that on your previous threads, you have asked about how to get upgraded from coach to business class, or how to get an upgrade in hotel room. This suggests you are sensitive to comfort, do I have that right? Or is cost going to be a major consideration? You will need to resolve this in your mind whether you take a tour or go independently.

I also notice you posted a review of Vegas, noting in particular the quality of a particular show. Would this be important to you in Paris, for example, that you see such a show? Is nightlife in general important to you? Tours are often geared to daytime activities, with perhaps a show in Paris offered as an optional. Would this be sufficient?

Finally, I notice that you asked this question back in September/06 and you got a few answers. Were those answers helpful or did they miss in some way? Don't forget, your own feedback on feedback is also important. (If you want to find your earlier threads, just click on your name wherever you see it underlined - including when you log into the board.)

Cheers.

wendywicki Jan 4th, 2007 09:13 AM

hands down best tour operator in Rome is Context:Rome. They are pricey but its a very small group. I've been to Rome 4 times, plus study abroad program, and I found them to be the most informative, interesting and rewarding. They have programs in other cities too if you check their website.