Reload this Page >

Advice on the opera season in Verona

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2000, 03:35 AM
mike

I will be in Verona late August and am considering a trip to the opera which I note from comments on this forum is highly recommended.My problem is, and I hope I do not sound an uncultured oik at this point,I am not a major fan of classical music and sitting through 3 or 4 hours could prove a little too much.Are there any means of following what's going on or does the setting and music carry the whole experience?Can anyone out there help me?Mike

Old May 9th, 2000, 06:48 AM
Paulo

In late August, you'd have a choice of the Aida (23, 26 & 31), La Traviata (20, 22, 25 & 30) and Nabucco (24, 27 & 29). Not being a major fan of classical music (and operas in particular) I think you best shot would be the Aida. This has the most spetacular setting (grand). The setting and the music do carry most of the experience but you could improve on that. You may buy a "libretto". There's a version with the words in Italian ana a tanslation to English. <BR> <BR>One decision you'll have to make regards numbered seats or the unnumbered "gradinata". I've been to the Arena twice, once in numbered seats and once in the gradinata. <BR> <BR>The numbered seats are closer to the stage, you may arrive a little before it starts (around 9pm). The ticket ranges from Lit 110,000 to 290,000 + reservation fee. Most people are relatively nicely dressed and the atmosphere is almost as if you were in a theater (a bit uptight). Seats are relatively confortable. <BR> <BR>In the gradinata you'd seat in stone steps, like the Romans did once upon the time (buying or renting a mat is a must). You'd have to show up very early (around 6:30pm) to line up in order to get a good seat (with perfect view of the stage and not so far ... bests sitting place is at an angle of about 45 degrees with the stage axis). It'll be hot, and you'd swet quite a bit. Once the opera finishes well after 1 am you may figure what you'd be up to ... On the plus side, you may dress as you wish, you may take your picknick dinner inside, and the atmosphere is superb. People are very relaxed, making fun of each other, sharing salami, cheese and the like, some singing along with the actors, etc. In other words, more or less like going to a soccer or football game ... The ticket costs Lit 42,000 + reservation fee. <BR> <BR>You may book tickets on line at <BR>http://www.arena.it/English/ <BR> <BR>For a panoramic sector map of the Arena you may try (haven't done it myself ...) <BR>http://www.arena.it/arena-pix/set-up.html <BR> <BR>Paulo <BR> <BR>PS. Though it was much more tyring, I enjoyed being in the gradinata much more than in the numbered seats. <BR> <BR>

Old May 9th, 2000, 03:30 PM
kay

Hi Paolo, <BR>I've been to the site in an attempt to make reservations, but it doesn't seem to allow me to. Are they simply not open yet? <BR>Thanks for the detailed info, I will be there in late June, hopefully I am not too late to make reservations for Aida... <BR>Thanks <BR>

Old May 9th, 2000, 04:16 PM
richard j vicek

Good evening, Mike <BR>Just a thought, like enjoying specific <BR>foods, you have to develope a taste and <BR>I think that you can help this along by <BR>getting CD's from your local libary of <BR>the opera(s) that you a going to see. <BR>Knowing a little a bit about the plot, <BR>the libereto, tho most do not have a <BR>happy ending. There is certainly some <BR>good music in Aida, La Traviata, and <BR>Nabucco, all by Verdi..Knowing what is <BR>going on and what is coming, is a very <BR>important part of enjoying an opera. <BR>Richard of La Grange Park, IL..

Old May 9th, 2000, 07:24 PM
Jane

Paulo, is there anything about Italy that you DON'T know? I continue to be amazed.... <BR> <BR>Mike, sounds like the gradinata would make a wonderful introduction to opera the way it should be enjoyed. <BR> <BR>Have a great trip!

Old May 10th, 2000, 04:42 AM
Paulo

Kay, the last time I went to the Arena was in 1997. I booked online then but it was at a different sie (the Arena didn't maintain reservation services online then). For sure they're in business right now (I booked around March). <BR> <BR>Somebody here in the Forum apparently also had no success booking online but managed to settle things by phone. You may try emailing them asking for directions or simply do it by phone (+39 0458005151 if I'm not wrong). <BR> <BR>Paulo <BR> <BR>

Old May 10th, 2000, 04:48 AM
kay

Paulo, <BR>Mille Grazie! <BR>What do you think, is this too late for good gradinata tickets to Aida? I only have that one weekend in July (July 1/2) <BR>I will listen to music from the Opera to get in the mood... <BR>Thanks again! <BR>Kay

Old May 10th, 2000, 05:09 AM
Paulo

Kay, at what point did you have problems in trying to reserve online? I just tried to fake a reservation. I had no problems registering (the user name I provided was not good because it was already taken but it got thorugh when I changed it). Then I went through in trying to reserve to Gradinata tickets for the Aida in August. The system reserved two tickets and asked me the cc data to wrap it up ... at this point I stopped once it states clearly that there's no way out of it once you confirm reservations <BR> <BR>Anyways, in case tickets are sold out, you may try to get them through your hotel in Verona. You'd pay more (there's a kind of a black market there). <BR> <BR>Paulo <BR> <BR>

Old May 10th, 2000, 02:58 PM
Anne

Opera Lovers <BR> <BR>We are in Verona on July 10 and are staying at the Verona House. The have given us information that tickets can be arranged through a Verona travel agency called Essegiti-Aida Viaggi <BR>Fax#: 0039 045 8266622. <BR>We haven't tried to fax them yet, perhaps today. <BR> <BR>Good Luck <BR>

Old May 11th, 2000, 08:25 AM
mike

Thank you for all the replies Ithink we'll give the gradinata a try!Do we need to book in advance or can we leave the purchase of tickets until a day or two before the performance?Mike.