Advice on stopping one night in Verona

Old May 15th, 2017, 04:48 AM
Original Poster

Advice on stopping one night in Verona

We will be in Italy for 2 weeks. Flying in to Milan and going directly to Varenna on Lake Como for 3 or 4 nights, then 7 nights in the Dolomites, ending 2 nights in Venice. Trying to decide whether to stay 3 nights in Lake Como and then staying in Verona for 1 night on the way to Ortisei or staying in Lake Como 4 nights and going directly to the Dolomites (4+ hour drive). Will we appreciate a more relaxed stay in Lake Como, will we regret not visiting Verona (could even squeeze in the Opera potentially), or are the logistics of moving in and out of Verona for just one night not worth it? Thanks!
Old May 15th, 2017, 07:46 AM

We did the same thing a couple of years ago . Could only squeeeze in one night and 1 1/2 days in Verona. We did the opera and what a magical night it was! I don't normally like one night stops but that night was one of the highlights of that particular trip. It is always so tempting to pass by those amazing cities and not stop... either way you cant go wrong as Lake Como is magic as well.
Old May 15th, 2017, 07:52 AM

How are you traveling from Varenna? Where would you be picking up the car for the Dolomites?

No one can really tell you whether you'd appreciate more a relaxed stay in Varenna or regret not visiting Verona. Too many personal preferences and issues affect this decision.

I don't know what you mean by the "logistics of moving in and out of Verona," but the city does have a ZTL, so if you're driving at that point you'll need to figure out lodging, parking and avoiding the zone. I for one don't like one-night stays and would need 2 nights in Verona for a first-time visit. Others may disagree.

You could start by deciding what you want to do/see on Lake Como, check the ferry timetables, and then determine whether you'd need 2 or 3 full days to get around to everything.
Old May 15th, 2017, 08:16 AM

One of the deciding factors for me would be how hot it is likely to be. (Since you mention the opera, it appears you are going in summer.) Verona sits in a river valley, so it can really get hot & clammy. If the reason you want to be in Verona is a handful of sights, like the castle/museum + churches + the opera at night, might not matter. But if your idea of visiting a city like Verona is spending the midday outdoors, doing extensive walking amid crowds of tourists, might feel more like a chore than a romance.

If you are driving, you might take the opportunity to see some of more unusual scenery of the area on your way to the Dolomiti, like Lago di Moveno or Lago di Tovel, the Yosemite-like rockface of Fai della Paganella, the lovely castle near Cles.

Trento is an incredibly charming, compact and normally cool city, with a terrific castle & central piazza + good restaurants. You can also easily overnight in Trento if you are traveling by train.
Old May 15th, 2017, 08:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice so far. We are renting a car at the airport in Milan and will have it until we go to Venice where we will drop it off at the airport and make our way to the city by water taxi (appreciate any advice on that as well).
Old May 15th, 2017, 08:34 AM

Just stopping back to say that it suddenly occurred to me that castle Cles is most often closed to the public. But as a subsitute, the castle on Lago di Toblino could make a nice overnight for those looking simply for a beautiul setting.

https://www.visittrentino.info/en/gu...oblino_md_2454

Also, I misspelled Lago di Molveno...

https://www.visittrentino.info/en/gu...p-blue_md_2346
Old May 15th, 2017, 08:37 AM

I would do it! Verona is wonderful. I did it first as a day trip and enjoyed even that one day. A few years later I went back and stayed four nights. But one day is better than no days. I'd even consider cutting one night from the Dolomites to add to it.

I would look for accommodation near the train station - boring area but only a ten-fifteen minute walk to the center and you'd be sure to not get stuck driving in the ZTL. If you are only there 1 or 2 nights the fact that the hotel is not in an atmospheric area probably won't matter, you wouldn't be in it much anyway.

Here's my photos of Verona
http://andiamo.zenfolio.com/p780987701
Old May 15th, 2017, 02:21 PM

Since you'll already have the car, you could also consider driving north and then east from Varenna to Ortisei, via Tirano, maybe detour to drive the Passo Stelvio or visit Madonna di Campiglio (search Google Images), basically see parts of Trentino-Alto Adige that you probably wouldn't explore from Ortisei.

I liked Verona a lot, but summer heat and crowds would make it less appealing to me than more time in the mountains. But that's me. The first time we visited the Dolomites, a week wasn't enough time for all that we wanted to do/see.

If you decide to see Bolzano while you're in Ortisei, I highly recommend the town's archeology museum which is focused mostly on the Ice Man. We found it fascinating.

http://www.iceman.it/en/
Old May 15th, 2017, 06:32 PM

I have been in Verona for the opera festival in both July and August for the past 7 years. If you DO decide to go and would like more specific information by all means do reply and I will do my best to help.