Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Advice on Spain itinerary, esp. trains and info on storing luggage in stations?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14th, 2005, 05:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I am going to Spain in late May for 15 days, we are flying into Barcelona and I am trying to decide where to go and also would like some help on trains.

I think we will spend 1 day in Barcelona, take the overnight train to Seville, spend 2.5 days there, then go to Morocco (train+ferry) for 3 days, then to Granada for 2 days, then back to Barcelona for two more days (with day trip to Montserrat.)

Or I will skip the Morocco part and we will go to Madrid instead, I dont know yet...I really like to see different types of architecture too and I have heard Madrid is more a very big populous town with just museums..

How many days would people suggest for each of these cities?

Also, the night train, I cant seem to figure out the Spanish website, do you need to book it in advance, if so, how far in advance, how much should it cost? Are the Grand Class and Club Class the only ones that offer beds?

Also, is there a place to store luggage at all in Barcelona if we are to take the night train? Also we are taking the night train back from Granada to Barcelona, does anyone know if there is a place to store luggage in Granada train station?

Thanks a lot.
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 05:55 AM

There is a left luggage store at Barcelona Sants station. In the 1980s, the railways did not do left luggage because of terrorism, but there was a private left luggage office close to the station. It was a futile gesture: it would be a pretty feeble terrorist organisation that gave up terrorism because the left luggage office was closed.
Spanish overnight trains, like others, have various types of overnight accommodation; couchettes are the cheapest and are called "literas" in Spanish. A sleeping berth is normally a "cama", and some trains have the "gran clase" compartments which have bathrooms.
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 06:57 AM
Original Poster

thanks.

also, is the RENFE website correct with its timetables? do I need to book trains ahead of time, if so how much ahead of time? do the trains follow that exact schedule?

regarding hotels...there are two of us and we want to just get one room, we are going in May like i said, do you think it is necessary to get reservations ahead of time, it is not june yet so it is sort of off peak season, will there be hotel rooms available? i went to italy two yrs ago in nov and we had no problems just walking into a hotel and getting a room. we were thinking we will reserve a room just for Barcelona so in case we get messed up with the train we will not be as stressed because of such a rigid schedule. what do you all think?

thanks.
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 07:20 AM

Regards your train questions:
Gran Clase Double has beds with sheets and private toilet, wash basin and shower in the compartment, also includes breakfast and dinner. The less expensive Double has no toilet or shower or meals. I see no 'Club Class' on Spanish night trains, though this class is on the AVE day trains Madrid-Seville. Whether or not you must reserve in advance is hard to say - if places are available you can probably book them up to the time of the train but to get you should book early. Can book up to 60 days in advance. Fares for Spanish night trains seem to be quite a bit cheaper if booked in the US than thru RENFE - for example the Gran Clase double will cost $140 per person thru RailEurope in US, including rail fare and sleeping accommodations - if you check RENFE site i think they are quite a bit higher in Spanish euro prices; in US the regular Double price is $102 per person. RailEurope will also charge a $15 booking fee per order and a mailing fee in some cases. You may want to consider the Spanish Railpass, giving 3 days of travel in a 2 month period - a flexipass - for $225 in 1st class and $175 in second - extra rail days being $35/day in first and $30/day in second - up to a mx of ten days all told. If you go Barcelona-Seville-Algeciras and back the pass will certainly be a good deal. With a pass the Gran Clase Double would run $91 per person - with the pass paying the train fare but not the sleeping accommodation. buy passes from RailEurope or their agents - i always recommend going thru Budget Europe (800-441-9413), a RailEurope agent whom i've dealt with for years and have found their staff to be extremely knowledgable and helpful. Check RENFE prices vs. the pass or just booking the overnight trains and see whether it's better to book here or there.
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 08:18 AM
Original Poster

thanks for your help.

the problem i ran into - the raileurope times for trains do not match up with renfe times, so i thought one of the websites must be wrong?

so if I get the pass I still must pay 90 euros for the bed, whereas with the pass it is 130 right?

for the Barcelona-Seville route it says specifically

TRENHOTEL
Preferente 70,00
Turista 75,00
PreferenteIndiv 136,00
PreferenteDoble 94,50
Gran Clas Indiv 183
Gran Clas Doble 131

does this mean if i go Turista there is no bed? What about Preferente? Then is PreferenteDoble mean a compartment with two beds where each person pays 94,50? Thanks.
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

has anyone had experience with the rail pass in Spain?

i read some sites that said do not get it, not worth it because of all the supplements you end up paying anyway?

what do you all think?
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 09:28 AM

I have an alternative to the train - fly. You can get really cheap flights on iberia or spanair between Barcelona/Sevilla and Granada/Sevilla. It would save time and money.

Karen
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 11:05 AM

With a pass for Gran Clase double you pay $91 not 90 euros - if the RENFE site says 131 euros for Gran Clase then that's a lot more than the $140 dollars for same thing thru RailEurope. As for pass if you go Barcelona-Algeciras and back it should save you money - yes you have to pay a supplement but only on the AVE trains - about $12 in second class but not on other trains - you must reserve seats on most long distance trains in Spain however and the pass doesn't cover these - a few euro fee in Spain.
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 01:39 PM

I also need help with my intinerary. fly into MAdrid 9/13. Want to see Seville & Ronda area. Taking AVE train to Seville and possibly renting car. Need to be back in seville to fly to BCN to get cruise on 9/17. any suggestions or routes would be appreciated.
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 07:18 PM

housekitten,
If you're really interested in architecture and haven't been to Alhambra in Granada, I suggest you not miss it. Also, the Mezquita in Cordoba is incredible as well.

What about getting an open-tier ticket and flying into Barcelona and out of Malaga (or Madrid, if you decide to see it) so that you don't have to backtrack all the way to Barcelona?
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 07:32 PM

Check out Vueling.com. My daughter is studying in Barcelona right now and I have found very cheap flights thru their website. We got a flight from Seville-Barcelona for 30 Euros. They fly all over Spain and a few outside destinations.