Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Advice on places to stay in Kilkenny, Ireland

Apr 1st, 2002, 08:06 AM
Amy

We will be driving from County Cork on our way to Dublin and thought Kilkenny seemed like a nice place to stay for a night. Any advice on B&Bs? We will need parking and will have a baby with us.

Thanks!

Apr 1st, 2002, 08:47 AM
Ann

Parking is a real issue in Kilkenny. You may want to stay at a B&B just on the outskirts of town. There's a B&B/tourist info office in the center of town (sorry, not sure what street it's on--just ask someone). They'll sort you out.

Sorry, but I don't have any specific suggestions. One of the B&Bs I've stayed at in Kilkenny didn't have parking, and I don't remember the name of the other, which was on the outskirts of town (every single place in the city centre was booked).

Apr 1st, 2002, 09:21 AM
cd

Don't know if it would work for you, but we stayed in Cahir before getting to Kilkenny. It was one of the best choices we made. We stayed at the Scaragh House. email: [email protected] Tel: 052 42105 Fax: 052 42105. A beautiful B&B! The best of our travels in Ireland. The owner is Pat Devereaux and she had just finished a family suite which would be perfect for a family. The Rock of Cashel is 15 min from her B&B and the Cahir Castle(pronounced "care") is a wonderful castle to spend an hour in before going on your journey. Highly recommend.

Apr 1st, 2002, 09:46 AM
Jane

Amy,

We stayed at Carriglea, on Archer Road, for two nights last year and were very comfortable. It's right across from Kilkenny Castle, in a nice residential neighborhood. And there's parking!

I'm sorry I don't have the contact info with me, but it's a member of the Town & Country Homes Association and the proprietress is Josephine O'Reilly. She and her husband were delightful and made us feel very welcome. We had a large, lovely room with a private bath and electric blanket. I don't know whether you'll have a baby bed or will need one, but there definitely would have been plenty of room to set up a crib in our room.

Carriglea is a 5- to 10-minute walk from downtown Kilkenny, so we never moved our car once we arrived. I wouldn't drive in town if I could avoid it -- the streets are really narrow.

Apr 1st, 2002, 12:19 PM
Amy

Carriglea sounds nice. Does the Town and Country Assoication have a web site?

Anyone heard of Lacken House?

http://www.lackenhouse.ie/

Apr 1st, 2002, 12:48 PM
Jane

Amy,

Here's the T&C Web site: www.commerce.ie/towns_and_country/

I've been having some trouble with the site's search function today, which is why I couldn't provide you with contact info for Carriglea. But maybe you can get it to work ...

Also, I don't know if you're doing one of those fly/drive/B&B packages, but if you are -- Carriglea accepts (or did last year, anyway) B&B vouchers.

Apr 1st, 2002, 02:44 PM
jerri

Stayed last month at Bregagh B&B on Dean St. in Kilkenny. Was able to park the car and just walk. It's near St. Canice's. It's clean and the breakfast was good.
Phone: 056-22315 We just came across it while walking. Has a convenient location.

Apr 1st, 2002, 03:58 PM
Harriett

Amy -- my husband and I stayed at Lacken House in October 2000, prior to our time in Dublin for the Marathon. We were only there one night - as I recall, we drove there after landing in Dublin, not too bad a drive. Lacken House is a perfect location on the outskirts of town, walking distance to everything, and they do have parking (but you should probably tell they you'll need a space when you book). As I recall, our room was small but comfortable, and there's a lovely lounge/bar for a drink.

For other similar accommodations, you might want to check out www.beourguest.ie., which is the website for Irish hotels and guesthouses association -- a step above the more traditional B&Bs, not a lot more expensive but a major notch up in comfort and furnishings.

Apr 2nd, 2002, 07:26 AM
Amy

Harriet -

Great site. Thanks! Now instead of narrowing down my choices I have found more!

Butler and Berkeley Houses.

Apr 2nd, 2002, 07:57 AM
Karen

Amy: We stayed at the Ormond. It's not a B @ B but it is a very nice hotel which is centrally located and has parking. Kilkenny is a great place to visit. Are you staying overnight in Cork? We did and I would skip it if you can.

Apr 2nd, 2002, 11:49 AM
Amy

Karen -

Thanks for the suggestion. I looked at their web site and they are running a special for week days for 73.50 euros per person. Hope its still offered in Aug.

What were the rooms like?

We will be driving in from Mallow on our way to Dublin.

Apr 5th, 2002, 07:46 AM
Amy

the rate is offered in Aug. includes champagne and choc. as well as the usual - breakfast and taxes.