Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Advice on picking hotels in Malta: Imperial, Jerma Palace, Osborne or Seabank hotel?

Advice on picking hotels in Malta: Imperial, Jerma Palace, Osborne or Seabank hotel?

Old Aug 12th, 2003, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
I am visiting Malta in October and wondered if anyone had stayed in any of these hotels:
Imperial Hotel in Sliema
Seabank Hotel in Mellieha
Jerma Palace in Marsascala
Osborne in Valletta?

I am looking for a hotel which is comfortable and not going to be in a noisy area ( I can live without nightclubs !)
Thanks.
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 10:59 AM

I can't comment on any of the hotels, because we rented a house, but if you're planning on travelling around the island, your best bet is to base yourself in Valetta. The main terminal serves the whole island, and you sometimes the only way to get between two points is to backtrack to the Valetta.
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 03:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Cluny.
Anyone else got any information? Thanks
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 04:58 AM

Leaving for a few days in Malta on Friday, staying at Imperial hotel in Sliema. I'd be happy to report back next week if you're interested!!
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 05:34 AM

I just remembered that the bus schedules (summer and winter) for Malta are on line at http://www.legal-malta.com/tools/buses-winter.htm. It also gives you a map and a route finder. It might give you a better idea of how easily you can move around from any of these bases.
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Cluny,I will look this up.I am kind of leaning towards staying in Valletta. I don't mind if it's quiet at night and it might be easier to get buses from there...

Hanl: I would be delighted if you can post some feedback on the Imperial Hotel upon your return..
Thanks..
Old Aug 14th, 2003, 04:33 PM

My husband and I will be in Malta on holiday in November. We will stay at Westin Dragonara Resort in Saint Julian's. Any information on this location would be nice.
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 06:57 AM
pda

Valletta is very noisy during the day, but after dark it's dead. although if you are going a lot around the island by bus, Valletta is the main bus centre to every town on the island.
If you want a nice area the Seabank is just in front of one of the main beaches in Malta, it's the best if you like to walk in the countryside. The Imperial Hotel is very close to Sliema centre and the hotel is quite run down. The Jerma Hotel is on the other side of the island it's in a nice area as well. Actually apart from the hotel's appearance and comfort (the best is the Seabank by far)you must decide depending on what you would like to do, that is, relaxing on the beach or travelling around. If you are hiring a car (which is highly recommended) do not stay at Valletta, you will not find parking nearby and you would have to pay for a car space.
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 07:26 AM

In contrast to pda, we didn't find the Imperial hotel "run down" when we were there the other week.
As I mentioned in my short report, the bathroom fixtures seemed a bit old and the breakfast room was rather ugly, but apart from that everything was just fine - clean, cool, spacious, well-located, and with a very grand entrance hall and bar. I have stayed in run-down hotels in my time but it's not a description I would necessary apply here!!
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 01:57 PM
Original Poster

Hi,
Thanks for this feedback: actually I decided to go with another hotel, the Kennedy Nova in Sliema which,with any luck, will be ok.
Did anyone out there visit Sicily on a day trip? Or would that be too short? Also, does anyone know whether you can still get the ferry there in later October?
Thanks.
Old Aug 30th, 2003, 06:28 AM
Original Poster

Suggestion: if you don't want to get a taxi from where the Air Coach drops you to your hotel, then get an Aircoach to drop you off at Nassau St, walk a few steps and get a regular bus to the tara towers(routes: 7, 45, and possibly the 8 and 7A).
Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 05:49 AM

PDA

All the notes I have received have said not to rent a car in Malta - to use the bus system. We are going there next week for a week and would like to hear your reasons for renting car. Thanks
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 04:18 AM
pda

The main reason for hiring a car in Malta (as in any other country) is the freedom to go anywere round the island at your own pace. Most towns have an hourly bus service and buses stop at ten or eleven in the evening and sometimes earlier. Buses tend to be overcrowded and uncomfortable although cheap. Car hire is cheap and lets you explore the offbeat places and countryside. you have to be very careful driving in Malta especially the state of many roads, but if you're careful you want regret it.In the long run especially if you're at least four persons, hiring a car will not be very much more expensive than buses and to get from one point to another, driving your own car gets you there in a fraction of the time. You can always hire a car when you're in Malta, so my advice is, come to Malta, get the bus on the first day and then decide what to do for the remaining days. Happy Holiday in Malta!!
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 09:18 AM

PDA - Thank you very much - looking forward to Malta - will let you know how it turned out. Sounds like we might very well rent a car.