Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Advice on our 3 week itinerary (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/advice-on-our-3-week-itinerary-1017529/)

AbhishekBhalla Jun 19th, 2014 10:00 AM

Advice on our 3 week itinerary

please give your views on our three week itinerary

28th June afternoon 2 pm reach Berlin

28,29,30th June ... On 1st July from Berlin fly out at 7:25pm

Amsterdam fly in on 1st night at 8;50

2,3,4,5th July - 6th afternoon fly out at 2:30pm to Paris

Paris fly in on 6th at 8pm

7,8,9,10th fly out at 9am to Barcelona

Barcelona reach on 10th July at 10:15am

10,11,12,13,14,15th night fly out to Ibiza at 8:50 pm

Ibiza reach at 10pm on 15th July

16 July fly out at 17th at 7:45am to Barcelona

Barcelona reach at 8:40 drive to madrid 6hrs 17th July

Madrid reach in evening on 17th

18,19 20th fly out at 8:30pm

Sassafrass Jun 19th, 2014 10:24 AM

Double check the time and cost of flying from Amsterdam to Paris. With cost of getting to and from the airports and time spent checking in and waiting for the flight, the train might take the same time and be more comfortable.

Why not fly from Ibiza to Madrid and save the day in the car and the rental cost for that day.

You could consider flying from Paris to Ibiza, then to Barcelona.

If you must keep the sequence you have posted, then at least skip the car and take the fast train from Barcelona to Madrid.

You do not need a car for Madrid either, most day trips are easy, quick and cheap by train.

One last thought. You probably have tickets already, but if not, it might not matter that much, but I would start in Madrid and end in Amsterdam or Berlin, so the worst heat of July would not be in Madrid. That being said, I have been to Madrid twice in July and survived, and enjoyed it, just napped during the heat of the day and stayed out very late at night.

BigRuss Jun 19th, 2014 11:55 AM

Why would you drive from Barcelona to Madrid? Take a fast train (AVE) - it'll be quicker and you won't have to drive amongst Spanish street traffic, which sucks.

Thinking Paris or Berlin would be worth a night at Amsterdam's expense. Both are far larger than the Dutch capital, Paris has a LOT you will miss even with the extra night(s).

dwdvagamundo Jun 19th, 2014 12:06 PM

My impression is that this is a lot of moving around in three weeks and Spain will be very hot in July. I'd confine myself to northern Europe: I'd add Belgium and explore a bit more of all the northern countries than just the big cities. The Hague, Delft, Bruge, Chartres, Mt St. Michel in Normandy, etc., are all wonderful places, as is Bavaria in Germany and the Tyrol in western Austria.

If you're determined to do your original plan, good advice above re flying from Ibiza to Madrid.

Cathinjoetown Jun 19th, 2014 12:40 PM

I don't understand making the effort to go to Ibiza for effectively one day.

Is this itinerary for next month? You need to get all your flights and reservations in place soon.

Agree with previous comments that trains from Amsterdam to Paris and Barcelona to Madrid (or direct flight from Ibiza) would be more cost effective and not much difference in time, possibly faster.

IMDonehere Jun 19th, 2014 12:46 PM

Ditto to everything above especially Ibizia for a day and driving to Madrid. The charm of Madrid is there museums. If not eliminate Madrid and add Delft.

nytraveler Jun 19th, 2014 04:09 PM

There is NO way it can take 5.5 hours to fly from Amsterdam to Paris - you must be routed through Greece or something.

Taking a train or driving would be faster, probably cheaper and definitely more pleasant.

nytraveler Jun 19th, 2014 04:19 PM

It looks like the flight from Amsterdam to Paris is Alitalia and goes by way of Venice.

This is close of madness!

AbhishekBhalla Jun 22nd, 2014 07:45 AM

Thanks for the feedback. It was immensely helpful. We were taking an extraordinarily long flight from Amsterdam to paris with a stop over somewhere in Germany because all trains were costing us four to five times our flight cost. We have managed to find a non refundable second class train with reasonable fare which we have booked instead of taking a 5hour flight. We have already been to paris once and this will be our second trip, so allocating more days in Barcelona and Amsterdam. Initially we had planned a long trip across Spain in April and May, but work commitments made us cancel it at last minute and now it's too hot to travel through Southern Spain.

Your input was really helpful. Thank you all.