Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

advice on Northern Italy, Switzerland, Austria

Old Aug 12th, 1998, 05:26 AM
Art farnsworth

Hi I will be starting my vacation in Milan and <BR>have 11 days. I'm looking for some tips on what <BR>to see in that time frame. Any suggestions? <BR>Thanks! <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Aug 12th, 1998, 11:16 AM
Richard Vicek

Good afternoon, Art <BR>Here's a ruf out line with nites <BR> ( ) after the place <BR>Assuming you are returning out of Milan, all of this is easy four hours or less by rail. <BR> <BR>Milan (1) <BR>Venice (2) <BR>Innsbruck (2) <BR>Lucerne (2) <BR>Interlaken (3) <BR>Milan-home (1) <BR>E-mail me if you want some more informations, or web sites to surf.,wtc....RICHARD OF HICKORY HILLS, IL... <BR> <BR>

Old Aug 12th, 1998, 03:24 PM
Jen Z

I like the above suggestion, but I would change it like so: <BR> <BR>Milan - 1 <BR>Venice - 2, then take night train to Vienna <BR>Vienna - 2 <BR>Salzburg - 1 <BR>Luzern - 1 <BR>Jungfrau region - 2, then night train to Florence <BR>Florence - 2, then motor your butt back to Milan for your flight home. <BR> <BR>It's kind of an insanely quick itinerary, just like the other one, but if you've travelled before and know what you're doing then it is possible. Depends on how quickly you like to travel. Personally, with eleven days I'd stick to either just Italy (Milan, Venice, Florence, Rome, Cinque Terre), or Switzerland and Austria (Jungfrau, Luzern, Salzburg, Halstaat and Vienna...and maybe throw in Innsbruck--I've never been but would like to). Good luck deciding... just keep in mind that you'll be going back some day and don't HAVE to see EVERYTHING on this trip!!

Old Aug 13th, 1998, 09:50 AM
Art Farnsworth

Thanks for the responses! <BR>What do you think about the lake areas in <BR>northern Italy (Como, Bellagio)?? Is it <BR>worth a day or two??

Old Aug 13th, 1998, 11:33 AM
Richard Vicek

Good afternoon, Art. These areas are nice for a return visit, when you have more time, other places you can add to the return are Cortina, Bolzano, <BR>Lago Guardia, Lugano, Ascona, many, many places. <BR>Richard of Hickory Hills, IL....

Old Aug 15th, 1998, 06:32 PM
Anna

Don't miss Lake Como, it is only an hour or so from Milan. We stayed in the town of Varenna.

Old Aug 15th, 1998, 06:42 PM
Anna

The Lake Como area is definitely worth a day or two. It is one of those places where you are able to take a vacation from your vacation. We took a bus to Lugano, Switzerland for a day trip, it left from Menaggio. Bellagio was nice, upscale hotels and shops. I'm in my 20's and tend to follow Rick Steve's philosophy of budget travel so we stayed in more affordable Varenna. There are ferries that take you across the lake. I would concentrate your itinerary on Italy. The rail in Italy is inexpensive, you could visit the Dolomites. The Cinque Terre is one of my favorite spots in all of Europe. <BR>

Old Sep 15th, 1998, 01:26 PM
Don Stadler

I lived in Trento in the Dolmites for 18 months. I highly recommend Ravenna, Verona, and Padova between Bologna and Venice for Italian experiences. <BR> <BR>The South Tyrol (German-speaking area) is great too. I lived 30 minutes by train from Bolzano, but preferred more northern towns except on weekends. Bressanone/Brixen and Vipiteno/ are great stops on the way to or from Innsbruck. I preferred them to either Innsbruck or Bolzano. The train ride is breathtaking. <BR> <BR>Have fun!

Old Sep 15th, 1998, 02:50 PM
kam

You don't say when you are planning to do this. THe Lakes are wonderful in Summer. I agree with the suggestion of Verona and would also stay only in Italy--- <BR>Milan to Verona (1) to Venice (2) through Trento to Bolzano or Merano and then depending on season, either the Lakes or through the Brenner Pass to Austria. Bergamo is another lovely little town Lago di Garda and yes, Lugano is unique city in the Italian speaking region of Switzerland. Or you can go south from Verona to Ferrara--lots of medieval hill towns in that area. But, I've contradicted myself, haven't I!! There's much to see. <BR>