Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Advice on moathouse hotels in London--great rates

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 05:48 PM
traveler a

I've found 70 pound double rate, including tax and English Breakfast for Moathouse Drury Lane, Kensington Moathouse and Sloane Square Moathouse. Any recommendations? Thanks so much.

Old Oct 5th, 2002, 05:56 AM
Athena

I stayed at the Moathouse at Gatwick. It was nothing to write home about, but it was clean . . . and it was just for one night. I wouldn't have wantd to stay there any longer, however.

Old Oct 5th, 2002, 06:10 AM
JOdy

Sloane Sq and Kensington are both quite nice and well located for my needs. Drury lane is a little further away from what interests me. Both have been renovated fairly recently. And SSq and Kmh are both within steps of the tube!

Never was in an airport hotel that showed me anything

Old Oct 5th, 2002, 04:15 PM
traveler a

Thank you both. This "Late Break" special is 70 pounds double with English breakfast on hotelbook.com. I booked it for four months from now. Thanks for your advice.
Also, did you feel safer at Kensington or Sloane Square at night?

Old Oct 5th, 2002, 04:36 PM
Tilly

Traveller -- Kensington is a nice middle-class neighborhood, and Sloane Square is "posh." Both are safe at night.

Old Oct 6th, 2002, 02:50 PM
Karen

traveler

I got the same rate for the Sloane Square Moat House back in July. I was only there for one night and wasn't up in time for the breakfast, but thought the hotel was fine. I had a twin room, which was quite compact, but the bathroom was decent sized and really nice (Dove shampoo, soap etc, which I love) and modern. It was quite humid the weekend I was there and I couldn't get the air conditioning unit working properly, but I prefer opening the window anyway. I asked for a higher floor (possibly 4 or 5) and couldn't hear any traffic, so it was fine.
The location is excellent - across the square from the tube station, bus stops and from a WH Smiths and a few other shops. There are cafes and restaurants all around the square too. I got a night bus back from Trafalgar Square at 2 a.m. and got off a stop too early and had to walk, it was quiet, only very light traffic, but I felt safe enough.

Hope that helps.

Old Oct 6th, 2002, 02:53 PM
JOdy

You got a DEAL! Enjoy!

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 05:54 PM
traveler a

Thank you for you help and advice. What a great community.

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 04:34 AM
chris

I have used the Moathouse chain many times while on business trips and find them to be good. You will be happy.

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 08:03 AM
travleler a

Thanks Chris. I feel more at ease.

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 05:16 AM
mary lewis

We just got back from staying 7 nights at the Kensington Moat House. It couldn't be any more convenient - it is literally steps from the tube (s. Ken stop - with 3 lines to choose from) and is in a nice neighborhood with plenty of restaurants. There is an internet cafe across the street and a cash machine right outside the door. Our room was quite large, by London standards and was quiet. The breakfasts were buffets and were quite good.

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 08:05 PM
robert

i agree with the last post i stayed 3 nites in ken and thought it was ok ,,, location was good safe area have fun

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 08:12 AM
erin

I stayed at the Moathouse Kensington about 2 years ago, and it was wonderful. We ended up taking a room there after arriving at our confirmed hotel to find it was disgusting. We booked at the KEnsington Moathouse through an hotel agent, got a wonderful price and were thrilled with our room, which was fairly large. The breakfast was nice every morning, too. You will enjoy it very much.

Old Oct 13th, 2002, 02:41 PM
traveler a

Many thanks to all. This is part of an anniversary trip (gift to hubby) so I want him to be pleased,and me not to go broke!! Thanks again.

Old Oct 13th, 2002, 04:48 PM
robert

across the street is a ok chinese and indian restrauants.... around the corner a sushi and a bulgarian restraunt the tube is very close you can go almost anywhere easy from this location.... anything else just email ty