Notices

Advice on itinerary, please.

Nov 22nd, 2013, 10:31 AM
Original Poster

Advice on itinerary, please.

Our itinerary so far for our December 8 day Ireland trip:

Wexford - 1 night (We're in Wexford for a concert so that can't be changed, but practically everything else can be).

Ennis 2 nights*

Westport for 3/2 nights

Dublin 1/2 nights

(7 nights total)

We plan to see the Cliffs of Moher from Ennis, Connemara from Westport, bike the Greenway trail from Westport, and have no plans yet for Dublin. We aren't much for cities, preferring to spend our time hiking or biking or getting a feel for local flavor in small towns.

We recognize 2 nights in Dublin is probably needed to see much of anything, but we hate to reduce Westport to 2 nights because there is so much we want to do in the area. Another option would be to cut Ennis to 1 night which would allow for 3 in Westport and 2 in Dublin. Then we maybe shortchanging the Ennis area, plus would need to see Cliff enroute to Westport I would guess. We only have 7 nights so something has to give.

How does the itinerary look in terms of where we're going?

Given our preferences for hiking, biking, etc., how should we split up the 6 nights between Ennis, Westport and Dublin?

All replies greatly appreciated!

Susan
Nov 26th, 2013, 11:41 AM

I have no advice, (preferring cities, I'd spend the week in Dublin,) but I think you're brave to be biking in December ~ have a good trip!
Nov 26th, 2013, 11:49 AM

Probably isn't where I'd be wanting to bike. What w/ the short days, wintery weather, narrow roads . . .

Dublin isn't my favorite city but even if you arrive early-ish in the day 1 night will only give you around half a day there (assuming you fly out the next day). So I'd either give Dublin 2 nights or skip it entirely and just head to the airport to catch your flight. If it is an early AM flight - I'd probably stay at an airport hotel and just roll in after dinner somewhere on the road.
Nov 26th, 2013, 03:38 PM
Original Poster

December isn't our month of choice for vacations in places cold and wet but that's when the opportunity arose so here we come Ireland!

We've added another day in Dublin so will be there 2 nights. Yesterday bought tickets to see "Shakespeare in Music" at the Abbey Theater, very excited about that.

There's a 42k paved off road trail we'll be cycling on that's supposed to be gorgeous. We're used to biking year-round including in the cold and wind and damp so we'll give it a try. If it's too much we'll head to the pub!

Search this Thread