Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Advice on Italian honeymoon in October (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/advice-on-italian-honeymoon-in-october-690061/)

thegilbeys Mar 21st, 2007 10:28 PM

Advice on Italian honeymoon in October

Hi,

My fiance and I are planning to travel to Italy for a 3 week honeymoon after our wedding in October. We've booked 4 nights in Rome to start with and are also interested in travelling to Florence/Tuscany, Venice, CT and Naples/Pompeii/Sorento. We don't want a rushed itinerary, we don't really want an itinerary at all and brings me to my question.

* October is not peak season, are we stupid to assume we can get accommodation 2 days before arrival?

We're hoping to get onto last minute online booking sites like Venere and Expedia in internet cafes while we're over there.

We don't want to be locked into 2 days here, 3 days here, travel on this day, go to this mueseum on this day...

Advice please!

du_ca Mar 22nd, 2007 12:36 AM

I think your choice is right, in that season is reasonable to think that you'll find accommodation 2 days before

have a nice trip
du_ca
www.hotelsempione.info
www.apmhotels.com

gard Mar 22nd, 2007 12:42 AM

Hi

I went to a company trip to Rome last year in October and we had quite a problem getting hotel. I was told then that parts of October is high season as a few European countries have autumn breaks at this time and many travel to the south. So I would at least try to book some of the hotels in advance :d Here is my Rome trip report with pictures and links by the way: http://gardkarlsen.com/rome_italy.htm . I hope you can find some useful info there to start with.

Regards
Gard
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures

quokka Mar 22nd, 2007 02:20 AM

October is peak season for bus groups from all over Europe. In places like Venice, Florence or Sorrento I'd definitely book in advance.

jabez Mar 22nd, 2007 03:19 AM

I wouldn't call you "stupid", but maybe a bit naive.
Oct. is mid-season and all the areas you list will be very crowded.
You probably can get accomodations, but not preferred ones.

GBC Mar 22nd, 2007 03:41 AM

I agree with jabez. You'll be able to find a room but you won't get the choice ones because they are booked by people who plan ahead.
The other problem is that you are going to waist valuable trip time researching and contacting possible places to stay.
Also, unless you speak Italian, you will have considerably more language problems.

ira Mar 22nd, 2007 03:41 AM

Hi T,

>...Rome ... Florence/Tuscany, Venice, CT and Naples/Pompeii/Sorento.<

It's not as if you are going to out-of-the-way places that tourist rarely visit.

>We're hoping to get onto last minute online booking sites ... in internet cafes while we're over there.<

How much of your honeymoon do you want to spend looking for accomodations, when you can do it now?

((I))

nma Mar 22nd, 2007 04:01 AM

DH and I did this last year for our honeymoon and we only had 2 weeks (Rome, Florence, CT and Tuscany Hill towns). We went in April. The only reservation we had was for our first 3 nights in Rome. The rest of the time we winged it and never had a problem. We got a room in the first place we tried almost every time! COngrats and have fun!

highflyer Mar 22nd, 2007 04:46 AM

If you're happy to wing it and prepared to accept the extra costs in time and money on your actual honeymoon then go for it.

I'd be happier doing at least a combination of booked and unbooked accommodation. I'd book the last couple of nights in the city I'd fly out of in addition to the first few nights in Rome and maybe book somewhere with a view in Venice.

Or do some research beforehand on accomodations and pick a few places to stay in each area and then when you arrive in Italy the actual booking should take less time.

simpsonc510 Mar 22nd, 2007 05:16 AM

There are some people on this forum who feel that they have to plan every meal and hotel in advance of their travels; and then there are people on this forum like my DH and me. We love to travel by the "seat of the pants" and discover new places along the way. We will stop at the tourist office in a town (Sienna for example) and inquire about availability. We may opt to stay for just one night or maybe several. It's great to go with the flow. If you feel comfortable doing this, go for it.

steviegene Mar 22nd, 2007 05:28 AM

Its your honeymoon, and you will want to relax, see the sights and enjoy eachothers company....not spend it sitting in an internet cafe surfing the web for a place to stay.

That said, I would probably book ahead - and follow a loose itinerary dictated by accomodations.
Having an itinerary requires more planning, but really reduces stress while at your destination.

If you still dont want an itinerary, at least do some serious research and come up with lists of places that you would want to stay and bring their information/phone numbers so that you have somewhere to start from.