Advice on hotels in Sevilla, Andalusian towns

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2007, 05:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are taking a family trip with our two teenage sons in late June. Their first trip and my husband's first trip to Spain (I lived in Madrid during college). We are planning on two nights in Seville, and are looking for a nice hotel (100-125 euros/night more or less) with some atmosphere. (Elsewhere we are staying in paradors.) Barrio Santa Cruz sounds interesting, but we are open as to location.

Also interested in advice on interesting towns to visit between Granada and Sevilla. We are taking trains most places, but have decided to drive that route, as it looks interesting. Also thought we might stop at the national park along the way.

Finally-- we are planning on two nights each in Granada, Sevilla and Cordoba; three nights in Segovia (with side trip to Avila) and three nights in Madrid (with side trip to Toledo). Is two nights too much in Cordoba? Three nights too much in Segovia? (Recognizing that this is all far too fast!)

Ann
Old May 21st, 2007, 05:15 PM

One man's opinion: One night is sufficient in Cordoba. Other than the Mezquita, it is very similar to Granada and Sevilla. I'd probably do two nights rather than three in Segovia. Use one day for Segovia and one day for Avila. As for a stop between Sevilla and Granada, Ronda would be my suggestion.
Old May 21st, 2007, 05:19 PM

We stayed two nights at the new Hotel Santa Isabel in the Albaycin in Granada and enjoyed it very much. However, it is a bit remote at night. With teenagers, I'd stay in the part of the Albaycin that faces Alhambra. Lots more people.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 10:22 AM

The Hotel Cervantes in Seville will probably fit into your budget. I was very pleased with the hotel and it did have "atmosphere".

I agree with the above poster and would recommend Ronda between Seville and Granada.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 10:47 AM

I also agree with the OPs; One night in Cordoba, not at the parador since it is out of town. Ronda is a lovely town but so are Jerez (wonderul Flamenco and sherry) and Carmona (great parador) any white village tour will have you pass through great countryside.

In Seville, the hotel Amadeus is right in Santa Cruz and is lovely and in your price range.

I will visit Segovia for the first time in June and am staying just one night...
Old May 22nd, 2007, 11:09 AM

I just stayed in Sevilla at the Hotel Alminar. While the decor is by no mean Andalusian the staff and the location are hard to beat. Hotel Amadeus also comes highly recommended.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 01:14 PM

Hi Tutsam

I've copied this hotel information over from a post I made a few weeks ago just after returning from Granada, Seville and Cordoba. I hope it helps:-

'We were in Granada for two nights a few weeks ago and stayed at Hotel Casa del Capitel Nazari . It was a small Rennaissance palace built in 1503 and is in the old Albaicin area right below the Alhambra. Our double room was 87 euro per night - an absolute bargain! You'd love the place.

http://www.hotelcasacapitel.com/

In Seville we stayed at Hotel Montecarlo and loved it too. Superb location and again the rates were great at only 85 euro a night for the room. It's a converted Seville gentry’s house in a quiet street in the city center. It has an internal Andaluz patio, is near to the river and only a just a 5 minute walk from the cathedral.

http://www.hotelmontecarlosevilla.com/

In Cordoba we lodged at Hotel Gonzales, in the old Jewish Quarter. A converted palace and the ancestral home of the Cordoban painter “Romero de Torres”. It is situated in the medieval juderia of Cordoba, just 40metres from the Mezquita. The rate per room was 80 euro'

All our hotels were old and quirky which was what we wanted to enhance our journey and add atmosphere to the trip. All were spotlessly clean with very comfortable rooms and all had the usual facilities e.g air conditioning, TV, bathrooms attached.

All rates charged included breakfast.

Hope this helps.

joe
Old May 22nd, 2007, 01:45 PM

Re Segovia hotels: It's been about 7 years but enjoyed a stay at Infanta Isabel. Terrific location-right off the plaza. On another trip stayed at Los Linares [not sure about the exact name]. comfortable but the location is not as good as Infanta Isabel - about three blocks down a bit of a hill from the plaza.

The parador is a bit out from town. Supposed to be good but I prefer "in-town".
Old May 23rd, 2007, 04:23 AM

Three nights in Segovia is too much, I suggest extend your trip to Salamanca.
http://www.salamanca.es/index.aspx?sid=en-GB&id=2
Old May 23rd, 2007, 07:06 AM

make sure you have A/C those dates.

and if you think a pool would be refreshing,(YES) you might look at some of the newer hotels and forego the charm, saving that for the restaurants and shows, coffee stops.

it is very nice to go back to a pool for an afternoon break when it is so hot here. believe me.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 09:39 AM

I absolutely agree about the AC. It is HOT HOT HOT there in the summer and some of the more quaint hotels don't make copious use of an AC. After sweating your way through Seville (which is wonderful, don't get me wrong), you will appreciate a cool place to hang your sombrero at the end of the day. I've stayed at the Gran Hotel Lar, which is a close walk close to Santa Cruz and within your price range.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 10:09 AM

In Seville, we stayed at the Novotel Marqués Del Nervion. It's just outside the city centre, maybe a 15-20 minute walk into town. There's also a bus that stops right outside the hotel and takes you right into town for 1 Euro.

It had A/C and a rooftop pool that I went to every day. Your boys might like that a lot (I sure did!). The room was spacious and very clean, and their rates are lower during the week than on weekends.

In Granada, we stayed at the Hotel Sacramonte. It was reasonably priced and in a central location (can't remember the name of the street).
Old May 25th, 2007, 11:21 AM

Regarding the parador in Segovia, we stayed there at the beginning of May and it was fine. But I presume you have a rental car available.

I don't find three nights in Segovia too much, since you are obviously using it as a base. Other places of interest nearby include Pedraza de la Sierra, El Escorial, and La Granja de San Ildefonso.

In Seville, we stayed at the Hosteria del Laurel, principally because it was Feria and we needed 3 rooms (everywhere else was sold out). It's located in the heart of Santa Cruz. Accomodations are a bit spartan, but we'd stay there again.
Old May 27th, 2007, 01:27 PM

We stayed at the Parador in Segovia without a car and it was fine, but we're big walkers. I loved that Parador! Agree that 3 nights in Segovia might be too much--maybe stay at the Parador in Avilia one night--it's right on the old wall and the garden is breathtaking (we watched a "bird ballet" for hours in it). Also agree with Salamanca, though the Parador there isn't as nice as some (more business-like), it is well located--just across the river from the town.
Old Aug 20th, 2011, 11:12 AM

Any other suggestions on hotels in Sevilla? Thanks.
Old Aug 20th, 2011, 11:20 AM

We stayed at the Hotel Amadeus and loved it.
Old Aug 20th, 2011, 11:53 AM

We did Seville with 3 generations of family and everyone loved Hotel Amadeus from kidlet to 80 year old Grandpa!

http://www.soultravelers3.com/2007/0...o-amadeus.html