Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Advice on getting film developed in London

Apr 19th, 2003, 04:42 AM
Original Poster

I've heard with the new xraying that film can really get damaged. I don't want this to happen with all my London film. Can someone suggest some good 1hour photo places that they've used in London? Also has anyone had their film ruined recently because of the xrays? I never have but knowing my luck this would be the time it would happen.
Thanks!
Apr 19th, 2003, 06:39 AM

Boots the Chemist do one-hour processing. I have used them many times and have been pleased with the quality. There are many Boots stores in London. I am pretty sure that the xrays they use now are absolutely fine and do not spoil your pics. We have put many of our used films through and they have not been ruined.

Enjoy your pics and memories!
Apr 19th, 2003, 06:40 AM

Boots Pharmacies have pretty good photos...I can't remember if they were one hour or not, but I do remember it being expensive. I would suggest you keep all your film together, keep it in your carry on and just take it out before you go through security. Tell them it is film and they will allow you to not take it through and xray machine. I had no problems with this on my most recent trip.
Apr 19th, 2003, 06:58 AM

I think the cost for one hour processing at Boots is about £6 or so per 24 pic film. If you look up www.boots.com they have a store locator. There are loads in London.
Apr 19th, 2003, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice! I'll just check things out when we get there and see how close a Boots is to our hotel. I'll try the web site too!
:0)
Apr 19th, 2003, 04:47 PM

Film developing in the US, Australia, Hong Kong, and Singapore are among the cheapest in the world. The UK is more expensive. However, airport security sometimes act like German SS (Nazi) so rather than fight, I sometimes develop film before returning home.

Chemists often develop film. Keep your eyes open and develop most of your film before you leave. In the UK, they speak English so you should have no trouble. I speak good enough English but have trouble in Spain and Italy.

I also now use a digital camera in addition to film.