Advice on first trip to Rome....

Old Feb 18th, 2004, 06:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice on first trip to Rome....

We will be in Rome for 1 week ( for our Honeymoon)! I would like to see the Chianti/Tuscany region, Florence, and Venice. We wont be there for long, but what would you recommend?
Visit Florence/ Tuscany region or Venice?
Take a day trip to either one of these, or stay overnight? And Would 2 days in Venice or Tuscany and 4 In Rome be enough? Please help! Any recommendations/ suggestions. Thanks!
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 06:29 PM
rex

I would recommend that one of the "big three" should be taken out of your plans. You could, you realize, more or less forego Rome - - just passing through. Rome/Venice is the least logical pair, but perhaps the pair that people might say are the most "must-see".

If you feel that you must see the three cities, then I would recommend taking the train directly to Florence upon arrival, then continue onward to Venice to spend nights three and four there - - are you IN Italy (ignore the overnight spent on the plane getting there) SIX nights or seven? If it is six, and you are set on seeing all three cities, then cut Venice down to night three only - - but leave Florence early to get to Venice in the (late) morning, and stay there until nearly supper time on day/evening four when you would board the train to Rome (arriving there late in the evening; it takes 4.5 hours).

That gives you all day/night five and six in Rome, with flight home on day seven.

I do not recommend a "single-nighter" on your first destination, regardless of where it is. It's your honeymoon, you need to be able to sleep in (if you can) - - or at least stay leisurely in bed - - (wink!) on your first full night in Europe, and not have to worry about moving on.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 05:36 AM
ira

Hi Belle,

If you don't have your plane tickets yet, I suggest flying in/out of Venice, Florence or Pisa and staying in Venice and Florence.

Otherwise, I second Rex.
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 05:43 AM

Hi
I'm wondering if you are already booked to fly into and out of Rome?
That's an important factor.

If you are, I'd arrive in Rome and immediately change planes to fly to Venice.
It's about an hour flight, and a couple of years ago I flew one way for the equivalent of about $120. There may be better deals on a round trip.

I'd spend the arrival day plus two more days in (my beloved) Venice.
Day 4, either take a train or plane to Rome and spend all remaining days there, with perhaps a daytrip to Florence, or a pretty town like Lucca or Orvieto.
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 06:24 AM

I actually agree with Rex,Ira, and Elaine. I live in California and really enjoy going to this website for a short time around 7am. The truly main enjoyment is reading the replies from my favorite "posters" Rex,Ira and Elaine. They are truly the most knowledgable and informative people here. This was really a "treat" seeing all three posting in order on this thread. Have a Great Trip To Italy and CONGRATULATIONS !!!! Mike
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 01:38 PM
Original Poster

THANKS! To all! Pretty cool how you had almost the same response,like barbmike said!
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 01:54 PM

Nikki will be back from Rome any day and I'll bet she will weigh in with an opinion about what to do in Rome...it will be as current as you can hope for