Advice on European Tour Companies

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10th, 2006, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am currently in the planning stages of a European Trip for Spring 2007. The Vatican is the point of interest. Have hear from several friends that Perillo Tours is a top-notch outfit. Has anyone out there travelled Perillo? Any other recommednations of Tour Companies (good and bad) would be appreciated.
Old Sep 10th, 2006, 01:15 PM

You really don't need an organized tour if you are just going to Rome. There are many people on this board that recommend tour companies for day tours in NYC. Wednesday is the day of the pope's weekly public audience, so you'll probably want to arrange your trip so you can be at the Vatican on that day. If the Vatican is the main interest, look at staying in one of the convents in Rome; it's sometimes easier to arrange tours through them, and many of these places offer very nice (though not fancy) accommodations and some even offer meals.
Old Sep 10th, 2006, 03:18 PM

Exactly - Perillo tours are the 8 cities in 12 days variety. For just one city you don't need a tour company at all.

And Perillo is definitely not top-notch - it is middle of the road at best. Not like the beer bash tour groups for the 22 year olds - but nothing like the better companies like Tauck.

(Friends of my parents did a Perillo at the behest of family and said they would never consider them again. Two hotels were substituted after the tour started - one from Venice to Mestre - and the food was so bad they organized their own separate meals after the first two days. They said it was like comparing a Kia to a BMW.)

If you are just going to be in Rome you can easily organize your own flight and hotel and get day trips on the spot -many much better than Perillo - if you feel you need them.
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 01:59 PM

Suggest you look into Tauck's Classic Italy tour - it's really excellent!
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 02:37 PM
samting

We took an Insight tour years ago, and they were very good...we were dubious at first, but enjoyed it thoroughly. Might be worth exploring. The part of a tour that is good is they do all the work for you. I.e., we went to Edinburg and straight to the Tatoo, which is impossible to get in, if you are on your own, unless you book months and months in advance. Also, meals are easy, and the guides hava a wealth of info. about their country that you might miss on you own. That said, I prefer, all things being equal, to do our own thing...but still, you should consider, are you a first time traveller, older, frail, nervous, time sensitive, etc. All that factors in.