Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Advice on European Location for Next Trip

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 07:08 AM
Dawn

I just returned from a long trip to Italy so, of course, I am already dreaming about my next European vacation. I wanted to perhaps get some suggestions from the Board about where to go next. Some important info:

Where I have already been in Europe: Amsterdam, Bruges, Brussels, Munich, Salzburg, Vienna, Prague, Milan, Camogli (near SML), Florence, Siena, Rome, Positano, Naples.

Favorites: Rome, Vienna, Camogli (sooooo beautiful)

Hated: Naples

An OK city, but not great: Munich

Great for one visit, but that was enough: Florence and Brussels

I want a nice mixture of large cities with lots of cultural opportunties and small, beautiful towns. I will go for about a week and a half next spring around late April or the beginning of May.

Thanks in advance for suggestions.

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 07:16 AM
Wayne

I think I can understand why you are asking for help---you've already seen many of the great spots!!! Based on your previous tours, I would say it's time to head for Paris and/or the south of France. Paris will still be cool in April, but Provence will be more comfortable. Check on this board for "Provence" and "Paris" and I'm sure your search will come up with more than you can ever use.

Paris would be your chief objective for the more cultural stuff, and the many Provence villages will give you what you want in the way of a more French ambience. Enjoy.

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 07:29 AM
sk

After this year's trip to Italy (I hope to go in late september / october), Iam already starting to research Spain. Have always been fascinated by architecture and history there.

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 07:40 AM
Vita

Hi, Dawn. Don't you love this part? Oh the possibilities!

How about Madrid and Andalucia? I'm not recommending it because I've been but it's an itinerary I was thinking of doing myself. I think you'd just want to avoid Easter, if possible.

Having just returned from a trip to London, I'll also put in a recommendation for a UK itinerary. If you like the theatre, museums, galleries, and an array of interesting architecture, you'd love London, and of course there are all sorts of small towns in the area to visit.

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 07:56 AM
John

Dawn, I'd boil it down to three possibilities for further research:
Paris plus the Dordogne or Provence
London plus East Anglia
Barcelona plus Catalonia (both sides of the border)

Andalucia (Seville, Cordoba) is another possibility, but Easter is a peak season. If you were going a little later, then Edinburgh and the Highlands would also be a possibility - maybe some crummy weather but the climate is part of the attraction.

Happy planning!

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 10:08 AM
t

topping

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 10:09 AM
Bill I

How about Norway, or Sweden, or Denmark, or a combination of all 3. We went for a 12 day trip once & spent for days in each country. The one we really want to go back & see more in depth is Norway.

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 10:13 AM
nikki

We're leaving on our 4th trip to Greece soon and I heartily recommend it. The mainland has lots to offer in terms of history, architecture, and culture, and the islands we've been to are indescribably beautiful. Tourism is high in the islands during summer but spring or fall would be glorious. It's my favorite place to visit in Europe.

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 10:17 AM
Catherine

Why not try something different like Estonia and some of the other Baltic states. Check out Scandinavia as well....

Old Jun 16th, 2002, 06:38 AM
Sue P.

Hi!
I've been to all of the countries/cities you mentioned and have similar opinion. I couldn't agree more on taking the time to go to Paris and southern France (I go annually). Really recommend Scandanavia, Spain/Portugal okay (been twice), not fond of Greece (been twice), but highly recommend Turkey, especially Istanbul. Have been four times and it's become my favorite city in the world. Ancient history, fascinating city, wonderful people and food to die for. Highly recommend.