Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Advice on Day Trips in Tuscany (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/advice-on-day-trips-in-tuscany-705934/)

BarbaraJ May 17th, 2007 11:32 AM

Advice on Day Trips in Tuscany

I'm still planning our trip to Italy in October and need some more advice. We will have two days in Tuscany for some day trips from Siena. We were thinking of renting a car in Siena and driving ourselves. AutoEurope has a three day minimum and I am wondering if, by the time we pay for a rental car, would it be less expensive to get a driver. With a car we could wander (and get lost) where we want but with a driver we could both enjoy the scenery and maybe see some places off the beaten path. Any ideas, experiences, recommendations, etc would be appreciated!

Henry May 17th, 2007 11:55 AM

BarbaraJ,
Send me an e-mail and I will send you a bunch of ideas for day trips in Tuscany. It is too long to post here.

Henry

Ralphie May 17th, 2007 12:02 PM

Henry, post the info here, so everyone can read it and benefit from it (that's the purpose of a forum isn't it?).

I personally don't recommend getting a driver, as I thoroughly enjoy driving throughout Italy, exploring the small towns. The best way to do this is on your own! But everyone's preference is different.

bobthenavigator May 17th, 2007 01:20 PM

Get the car and get lost in Tuscany---why not?
For a great driving tour of south Tuscany also search under Stu Dudley on this forum.

TerryLFred May 18th, 2007 06:31 AM

My husband and I just returned from a three week trip to Italy. We had a car and drove around Tuscany for a week. That was one of our favorite things, just driving around, looking at all the beautiful scenery and going to see many of the quaint hill towns. I suggest getting the car.

reneehawk Jun 3rd, 2007 08:42 PM

I am traveling to Italy from Florida in August. I know August is not the best time to travel to Italy, but it's the only time we can go. We will be in Rome for one week, ending on a Saturday. That Saturday we plan to head to Tuscany for three nights. Then we head to Venice on Tuesday and depart from Venice on Wednesday to return to the U.S. We are struggling to plan our itinerary for the Tuscany portion of this trip. It seems so hard to fit everything in, and should we rent a car or travel by train. I was thinking perhaps we should go to Florence first for one night, then San Gimignano for one night, then Siena one night. What do you suggest? Also, will that be difficult with hauling our luggage everywhere? What are the must-sees in 3 days in Tuscany?

Steve_James Jun 4th, 2007 01:55 AM

Day-trips from Florence? So many options ...

Siena
San Gimignano
Pisa
Lucca
Bologna
Cortona
Assisi
Perugia
Orvieto
Arezzo
Chiantishire
Cinque Terre
Rome
Venice

Renee - See your other thread.

Steve

Weadles Jun 4th, 2007 03:22 AM

If you decide you'd prefer a driver, I can highly recommend Luca Garapa of Hillsandroads.com. He is a Siena native, very knowledgeable about the hill towns, charming, and reasonably priced.