Advice on Burgundy Countryside

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6th, 2003, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone ever stayed in a B &amp; B called, Le Presbytere? It is about halfway between Beaune and Vezelay. It is out in a little town called Saulieu. My main concern is that it is too far out. We have a car, but more than that, I am concerned about going in to town for an evening, having a &quot;little&quot; vin, and driving home afterwards...got any wisdom out there? Would you stay in Beaune rather than in the country?<BR>
Old Feb 6th, 2003, 01:15 PM

One of the things you could look into would be to book in a place that serves dinner. That way you just stay there most evenings. We stayed at Chateau de Messey. http://www.demessey.com/
Old Feb 6th, 2003, 01:34 PM

With so many great places to dine in Beaune, I would be inclined to agree with you about being too far out. Your concerns are always a major concern of mine as well. You don't say how long you're staying, but if more than a night or two, I'd want the option of finding a different place for dinner each night and being able to stroll around afterwards.
Old Feb 6th, 2003, 03:05 PM
Original Poster

We had only planned on two nights, with a possibility of a third. But Beaune is becoming more attractive to us. The one I mentioned does serve dinner. bob, I just looked at the place you suggested. It is $380.00/night. I have two kids in college and another one who would like to go in a few years. $100.00-130.00 is my range. Got any suggestions that work for us?
Old Feb 6th, 2003, 03:32 PM

We stayed last month at the Hostellerie Bretonniere in Beaune last month and it was great. Excellent location, quiet, clean and charming. With breakfast for family of 4, it was about $110. Under $100 without breakfast. Free parking in the hotel's courtyard. Ask for Cosette if you call for reservations. SHe speaks excellent English.
Old Feb 6th, 2003, 03:35 PM

We're staying at Hotel Les Grands Crus in May for 2 (possibly 3) nights. It is between Beaune and Dijon, and does not serve dinner as (they say) there are so many fabulous places to eat in the area. Rooms are around 75 Euros per night and look quite delightful.<BR>www.hoteldesgrangscrus.com (yes, there is an inconsistency between the name and the website, but it works!)
Old Feb 6th, 2003, 03:35 PM
Original Poster

Sounds like this is more on my wave-length...it is just the two of us travelling. But the price is friendlier. Have you heard or seen the Hotel de la Poste in Beaune?<BR>
Old Feb 6th, 2003, 03:39 PM

I looked at the website (I think) for that one (or maybe it was in one of the half dozen guide books we've been reading) but since we're going to spend the last three nights of our trip in Paris, we decided we wanted at least two in the countryside (more or less) rather than in a town. Although Beaune looks charming and I think it would be a better place to stay than Dijon.
Old Feb 6th, 2003, 03:47 PM
Original Poster

The Hotel Grand Crus looks great..I am going to look in to it...thanks.
Old Feb 6th, 2003, 03:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We are staying at Hotel Le Parc in the town of Levernois just outside of Beaune for 3 nights in April. It was recommended in &quot;Hotels and Country Inns of Character and Charm.&quot; We are traveling with our daughters so we have 2 rooms with showers and toilets for 4 persons for $104 euros a night. Breakfast is 6.50 per person. It looks nice, but I will give more details when we return.
Old Feb 6th, 2003, 07:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Hotel de la Poste is very nice with an excellant restaurant situated on the edge of the Ramparts. It has an old world charm. The escagot served there were the best I've tasted.