Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Advice on BGY arrival & proposed itinerary (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/advice-on-bgy-arrival-and-proposed-itinerary-391361/)

peyton18 Jan 24th, 2004 06:11 PM

Advice on BGY arrival & proposed itinerary

I will be flying into BGY on March 27th and was wondering if it was worth spending a night or should I just rent a car and drive to Venice as initially planned? According to expedia, it seems to be about a 2 hour drive. If we go to Venice, it will only be for 2 days & 1 night. (I have been to Venice before and am most interested in spending the majority of my trip experiencing new places.) If not Bergamo, is there anywhere else you would suggest? On the 29th, I have to be in Chianti for a week in Tuscany. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Wayne Jan 24th, 2004 07:49 PM

With so little time and since you visited Venice already, my suggestion is to enjoy Bergamo. The old high city is very pretty, with plenty of charming streets and piazzas, and lots of chances to stroll around and find whatever interests you. Good luck.

peyton18 Jan 25th, 2004 12:33 PM

Any recommendations on where to stay or as to a good restaurant in Bergamo. Moderate price range.

Wayne Jan 25th, 2004 02:49 PM

Now I don't know which of your two posts to answer. Where to stay in Bergamo--in the old high town (citta alta) the most sensible and reasonable hotel is the San Lorenzo, a nice small hotel right across from one of the several cathedrals. It has an elevator and A/C, but you will have to park roughly 200 meters from the hotel, as I recall. Their phone number is 011-39-035-237-383. There are so many interesting things in the old town that it is a great place to spend a night after a long flight.

As for restaurants, within the old town there are several. We enjoyed Trattoria Sant Ambroeus, right on the old main square, but there are a couple of other restaurants there also. And there are several all over the old town. Enjoy.

peyton18 Jan 25th, 2004 02:59 PM

Sorry for confusing you Wayne...but I don't know what I will do for those (2) nights either. Basically, I'm going to listen to what people suggest and then do a little research & go from there. I really appreciate your input & suggestions. I have already decided to cut Venice out based on input from the forum. I am in the process of reserching Bergamo as we speak, so thanks for the suggestion. Any idea as to the price range for the hotel? Since you gave the phone #...is that the best way to check availability? If so, do they speak English as I do not speak Italian?

Wayne Jan 25th, 2004 03:08 PM

Yes, usually during the day they have someone on duty at the San Lorenzo who speaks good English. As for price range, it will be on the order of 125 euro, extrapolating from a couple of years ago. They have a fax number also, 011-39-035-237-958.

If you are driving, you might ask the hotel about parking. It could be that there is something closer than I recall. Good luck.

peyton18 Jan 25th, 2004 03:20 PM

thanks wayne:-)