Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Advice on 3 or 4 star hotel near Rome's Termini station

Mar 23rd, 2010, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

Need a room for one night in Rome that is convenient to Termini station. What recommendations on hotels that would be a short taxi ride from Termini?
We may also use this hotel for another one night before returning to USA .Departing Rome at noon on a Sunday flight. Would leaving the hotel around 9am provide enough time to get to the boarding gate?
Mar 23rd, 2010, 05:13 PM

Are you opposed to using the subway? What's your price range?
Mar 23rd, 2010, 06:00 PM

http://www.hotelquirinale.it./
Mar 23rd, 2010, 06:03 PM

There's very little traffic Sunday mornings going to the airport so 9:00 should be fine. That will give you 2.5 hours at the airport.

Since you asked for a hotel where a taxi is required I guess you don't want a hotel you can walk to from Termini? It would be faster than waiting in the taxi line.

http://www.hotelkennedy.net/
Mar 23rd, 2010, 06:09 PM
mms

It has been a while, but we stayed at the Hotel Miami which is not far from the Termini. Very nice hotel and is also an easy walk to the Trevi Fountain, Piazza Navona, etc.
Mar 23rd, 2010, 06:20 PM

My wife and I stayed at the Hotel Aberdeen last May. It's a nice family-run hotel at 48 Via Firenze, two blocks from a McDonald's and the city bus stop, and three blocks from Piazza della Republica, which has a metro stop. The hotel is great and the staff is wonderful. We made reservations via email to Mariano (at the link below), who speaks English. The hotel is in a good location and a three-minute bus ride to Termini. When we were there last year, the rate was euro 160/night, but it might be different now. I'd recommend it highly. The email address is [email protected]. Good luck.
Mar 23rd, 2010, 06:34 PM

Stayed 3 nights last Oct.at Hotel Canada at Via Vicenza, 58
00185 Roma, Italy 06 445 7770. One of the nicest European hotels I've stayed in, but modest price. Room was very spacious, breakfast great. Easy walk to Termini, and Metro stop one block. You can check out reviews on line at trip advisor. I made reservations on line and got a senior rate too.
Mar 23rd, 2010, 06:47 PM

We also liked the Aberdeen. Would stay there again.
Mar 24th, 2010, 03:39 AM

I often stay at Hotel Diana (via Principe Amadeo) which is only a short walk (easy when you have suitcases) from Termini station. The rooms are nice and in warmer months the hotel serves breakfast on the roof terrace garden. http://www.hoteldianaroma.com/

How are you planning to get to the airport for your flight home? If you're taking the Leonardo Express train from Termini to the airport, then the trip will take about 30 mins and the trains leave twice every hour (at 22 mins and again at 52 mins past the hour). If you leave your hotel at 9am, the next train to the airport will depart at 9.22 (getting you to the airport just before 10am).
Jul 4th, 2011, 06:32 AM

Could someone please tell me if Hotel Aberdeen is within walking distance to Termini, or would we need to take a taxi?
Jul 4th, 2011, 07:05 AM

"recommendations on hotels that would be a short taxi ride from Termini"

In the 3-4 star range, there are hundreds of options at varying price points. For a 1-night stay, I can't imagine you going wrong with any of them. I understand why people like to read about recommendations, especially when half of the city's options meet their requirements.

A "short" taxi ride to me equals anything less than 10 minutes, and a 10-minute car ride to Termini on a Sunday morning in Rome can cover quite a circumference, reaching almost as far west as the Vatican. Rome's city-center is quite compact.

Hotel Aberdeen is a stone's throw to Termini, almost around the corner. If you have only one bag, wheels or not, and depending on its weight, it's a very short walk. I never have only one bag so I always call for a taxi when I travel with luggage, no matter how close my destination.

I can't stand getting to Italian airports too early. I've never met an Italian worker who cares about your time anxiety. I always leave 30-40 minutes for the drive to FCO, and I leave 90 minutes for the airport shenanigans. (I fly Business or First.) I'm not recommending this approach for everyone. Do what makes you comfortable. My flights back to the U.S. almost never leave at the scheduled time. Europeans rarely respect queues.