Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Advice needed - the perfect hotel in Athens and Napflio, Peloponnese

May 23rd, 2009, 11:20 PM
Original Poster

Dear Fordorites,

Once more my husband and I need help from you fabulous Fodorites to plan our travels in Greece in October, 2009!

We will be arriving in Athens, after what will be an exhausting flight, from western Canada... arriving at 2:30AM Athens time. Yikes we can already feel the jet lag!

Our current thinking is to spend 4 days in Athens seeing the sights including a day trip to Delphi. Then drive to Napflio to make it our base for a couple of days so can visit Epidaurus, Mycenae and enjoy Napflio's wonderful sunsets. Before we depart on our cruise (via Greek Islands and Turkish coast etc) we would return to Athens to spend one more night and to pursue further treasures.

When we arrive in Athens we would prefer to be in an area that is easy to walk around most times of the day/night, due to our (probable) jet lagged condition, but…… we would really love a "room with a view " of the Acropolis and a great location too! My husband says "Plaka" I say a little further afield for quiet and affordable luxe.

We can't afford the “top” location (Grande Bretagne) but must say we do love the good life! Sadly the more hotels I check out the more confused I become. Too much noise, too many hills, hard beds………….

We would love your suggestions and your Fordorite perspective on how to weigh up hotel choices.

In advance, we do want to say how valuable we have found Fodor's opionated "experts" and want you to know how much we will appreciate any advice you can offer.
May 24th, 2009, 01:57 AM

In Napflio you may like Pension Marianna www.pensionmarianna.gr In Athens I can recommend the central located Magna Grecia www. magnagraciahotel.com Ask for rooms with view
May 24th, 2009, 02:00 AM

Sorry the right site is : www.magnagreciahotel.com
May 24th, 2009, 07:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your help Svithun. Will check out your kind suggestions and let you know how we fare via this Forum. We do so appreciate folks like you who take the time to pitch in with experienced advice.
May 24th, 2009, 08:56 PM

We are leaving for Athens in just 2 weeks. We have booked this apartment on VRBO. I do not have experience with this apartment, but it looks like there is a fantastic view of the Acropolis from the terrace.

Here is the website: http://www.vrbo.com/147936

We are paying 80 Euro per night.
May 24th, 2009, 09:32 PM

After much research we decided on Pension Marianna, as another poster has suggested. However they were already booked for the nights we required in October.

So I have booked Hotel Aetoma for 100 Euro a superior double per night including breakfast. All email dealings with the owner and manager have been prompt and friendly and it looks good on the website so we are looking forward to spending time there.
May 24th, 2009, 09:33 PM

Oooops! That's in Napflio by the way!
May 25th, 2009, 10:52 AM

ragout,
what's your hotel budget in Athens??

Electra Palace hotel is in Plaka, yet is quiet on its upper floors.

The EP is a deluxe upscale hotel, with large modern bathrooms. I'm guess-timating double-room rack rates are in the 200-250 Euro range.

PS: don't confuse the "Electra Palace" with the similarly named "Electra".
May 25th, 2009, 02:16 PM
Original Poster

Laurie: Not sure we want an apt but what a great find for someone staying longer.

Lizzy101: The Aetoma receives great reviews for having a very attentive owner. Sounds charming

We have considered the Amphitryion but the reveiws are so mixed. It appears difficult to know if you get a renovated room or the type of room you have booked.

tom-h: Yes, we could swing the Electra Palace. I see it is E215 for a view room. Funnily enough it is one of the hotels I have been looking at. Have you stayed there?
Thanks everyone. Keep it coming!!
May 26th, 2009, 07:55 AM

ragout-
Yes, I stayed at Electra Palace in 2006, for 2 nights.

I especially liked the spacious shower with an actual (gasp!) shower door, so that the whole room didn't become a water puddle ; - )

In 2006, they had closed their rooftop bar & small pool as part of their Olympics renovation ... too bad, that was great place to have a drink at end of day.
I don't know if they've since re-opened a rooftop bar.
May 26th, 2009, 03:34 PM

I stayed at the Electra Palace in 2008 and loved it.

We didn't even spring for the view, we just stayed in a regular room that overlooked the interior courtyard. But the rooftop pool area was open quite late for anytime we wanted to go up and look out at the Acropolis. Nice buffet breakfast, fabulous location on the edge of the Plaka, just 2-3 blocks from Syntagma Square. Very short walk, which meant no money wasted on cab fare b/c we could just walk to the Syntagma metro to get anywhere, and even dragging our luggage was no problem.