Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Advice Needed re One Week in October in Amalfi Coast/Pompei and/or Sicily (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/advice-needed-re-one-week-in-october-in-amalfi-coast-pompei-and-or-sicily-726369/)

RCLCOLPB Aug 4th, 2007 01:14 PM

Advice Needed re One Week in October in Amalfi Coast/Pompei and/or Sicily

We have an opportunity to travel to southern Italy for a week in early October. We have traveled in Italy a number of times but have never been south of Rome, and were thinking of going to (1) Pompei and the Amalfi Coast, and possibly Capri; and/or (2) to Sicily.

Do you think this is a good time of year to go to these areas? If yes, would you omit Capri?

Would you recommend choosing one or the other of these 2 major areas, or is it reasonable to see both during a week's trip? If both, would you suggest getting between them by car, plane, or train? I am sure we will rent a car in any area where we are staying for a while.

I am hoping to get frequent flyer flights, but that may be hopeless. Is there any chance of flying into Naples and out of Palermo via frequent flyer, or should I just look for flights to and from Rome and plan to pay separately for flights or trains? I have miles on a number of airlines and American Express.

Thanks very much!

Len

SeaUrchin Aug 4th, 2007 01:38 PM

with one week it would have to be "or" for including Sicily. You will barely have enough time to see Pompeii and Capri if you stay on the amalfi coast.

Early October will be perfect weather I hope, because I will be there too.

I would fly in and out of Naples.

SeaUrchin Aug 4th, 2007 01:39 PM

No I guess it would be "either" with Sicily. Anyway, I say not enough time.

Grinisa Aug 4th, 2007 01:42 PM

With only a week, don't do both the AC and Sicily, just pick one. I would pick Sicily as you can get a very good feel for the island in a week and October is a beautiful time to visit. The Amalfi Coast is closing down in October, and while you may get some great weather, you could also run into rain. You could forget the coast part and see Naples and Pompeii/Herculaneum over two days and then take an ferry from Naples to Palermo and visit Palermo, Erice, Selinute and Cefalu over five days. Sorry, don't know anything about FF miles and flying into Naples/Sicily.

Jean Aug 4th, 2007 01:43 PM

I agree. There is much to see in the Naples/Amalfitano area. (You didn't mention Naples, but I highly recommend at least a full day there.)

Jean Aug 4th, 2007 01:49 PM

Just missed seeing Grinisa's post before I chimed in. Although I agree it's possible you could encounter rain, it's not very probable in early October. I wouldn't describe the Amalfi Coast as "closing down" in early October. In fact, the summer ferry schedules are in effect through the second week of October. "You could forget the coast part..." I completely disagree. To travel to that part of Italy and skip the Amalfi Coast (even in the rain) would be crazy. I'd definitely skip Pompei in the rain (or defer to another day with better weather), but skip the coast? No way.

RCLCOLPB Aug 4th, 2007 02:12 PM

Thanks for all the quick advice. A tough decision, but it does sound like we should choose one or the other.

Would you recommend Capri in early October, or is it too much of a summer place?

Thanks again,

Len

SeaUrchin Aug 4th, 2007 03:15 PM

You can decide while you are there if you are just doing a day trip. If the seas are rough you can't make it. I go almost every year at that time and it most likely will be still warm or even hot.

gabriele Aug 5th, 2007 04:41 AM

We were on the beach in Capri the last week of September and had to leave after two hours because it was so hot. Also, did not find anything -- shops, restaurants, transportation -- to be closing down in early October. But I definitely recommend picking either Amalfi Coast or Sicily, since you will barely have time in a week to do one.