Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Advice Needed on Iceland Air Package Deals (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/advice-needed-on-iceland-air-package-deals-101662/)

Renee Jan 23rd, 2001 08:38 AM

Advice Needed on Iceland Air Package Deals

Hi, <BR> <BR>I'm wondering if anyone has tried the Iceland Air Package deals that allow you three nights in Iceland, before continuing on with another country in Europe? If so, is it a good deal? We're thinking of the month of May. <BR>Thanks!

mike Jan 23rd, 2001 08:43 AM

I've never stopped off, but I know they let you stop for x # of days w/o penalty on many of the flights. There was a post about a month ago from a couple who layed over and they enjoyed it. Maybe try a search under Iceland or Icelandair. Sorry I can't be more of a help. Mike.

Randall Smith Jan 23rd, 2001 08:51 AM

Hello, <BR> <BR>My mother and father did a trip on Iceland Air in the 80's. They thought the flight was ok, they did stay over a few days in Iceland and hated it. They felt it was desolate and reminded them of the moon. I guess if it was a choice of spending a few more days in Europe vs. seeing Iceland, I would opt for a few more days on the continent. <BR> <BR>Hope this helps. <BR> <BR>RJS

leo Jan 23rd, 2001 09:12 AM

I guess it depends on what YOU like. Iceland is desolate and EXPENSIVE, but if you love natural beauty it can be beautiful. I have German friends who always fly Iceland air, then get off for four hours to rest up at the Blue Lagoon and then continue on to the US. <BR> <BR>Three days in Iceland can't get you all that far. You might see Gullfoss and Geyser, and possibly make it to the national park Skaftafell, but then you will have to backtrack all that distance back to the airport. I've been to Iceland twice in the off season and loved it. However, I laugh at the radio commercials that boast of all the bars and clubs, but never mention the cost of the $6.00 beers. <BR> <BR>In May there will be days/weeks of rain and gloom, but possibly the aurora at night. Personally I would rather have the extra three days in Italy.

Bill Jan 23rd, 2001 10:22 AM

We stayed two nights on the way back from Europe a couple years ago. We enjoyed it! Very different from any place we'd been. Most definitely NOT a desolate moonscape (although there is a lava field on the way to and from the airport that is either immensely cool or depressingly bleak, depending on your outlook). If you get out into the countryside east of Reykjavik - either on a bus tour or preferably in a rental car, you'll be impressed by the natural beauty and peacefulness. <BR>The people are nice, the salmon is excellent, and there are lots of interesting things to buy in the shops. Sure the drinks and imported food cost a fortune, but you'll get breakfast as part of your hotel charge, you can go shopping at the supermarket at the edge of the city and pack a great picnic lunch, and you can eat reasonbly-priced fish for dinner (there are some very good restaurants). I probably wouldn't ever spend a week there, but two days was fun and memorable.

Amy Jan 23rd, 2001 11:44 AM

I love Iceland as a stopover or a destination. I've found that the three days on the return work really well as it's a nice transition/ "decompression" kind of place. Reykjavik is expensive but cozy and the sightseeing around about is superb. I haven't been there in May as my job enforces summertime travel, but I would think you'd still have a good time if you enjoy unique places.