Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Advice needed - night trains from Paris to Bayonne
Notices

Advice needed - night trains from Paris to Bayonne

Feb 14th, 2014, 11:34 AM
Original Poster

Advice needed - night trains from Paris to Bayonne

Greetings,

I would appreciate any advice/suggestion regarding trains from Paris to Bayonne.
I'm walking the Camino de Santiago in July/August this year and since I'm flying from my country to Paris first, I need the fastest connection to Bayonne where I plan to catch a local train to St Jean Pied de Port.
Because of the flight schedule, the most appropriate train would be the night train Paris - Irun. It arrives to Bayonne in the morning, which leaves me enough time for a bit of sightseeing and finding a train to St Jean. I would like to avoid spending a night in Bayonne if possible. There are many daily trains from Paris to Bayonne, but most of them do not really suit me because of my plane arrival.
The best option would be this night train, departing from Paris Austerlitz at 21.54 pm, but I cannot find a timetable for that much time in advance.
According to Raildude, this particular train operates only on Monday, Friday and Sunday. I would like to know if this is correct, can anyone confirm this info?
Because on Rail Europe and voyages-sncf.com train searches I can actually find tickets for this train on some Saturdays ( In February and March) , but on all of them.
Since my flight is bound on Saturday July 5, I would need to catch this night train to Bayonne that particular evening. But if the train operates only on Mon, Fri and Sun, I have to reschedule my flight (I almost booked the ticket but I wanted to be sure I would catch the train, now I'm grateful for that moment of hesitation or was it intuition...)

Therefore, I would appreciate any feedback very, very much.
Feb 14th, 2014, 12:09 PM

A search on the sncf site shows you can buy tickets for the daily 21.54 night train up to 12 May. Beyond that tickets are not yet on sale.

Will the train run on 5 July? Quite likely since it is running now. But you'll not know for sure until tickets become available in early April.

Are you visiting Paris or could you get a connecting flight straight from CDG to Bayonne? You'll not get much sleep on the train and you'll need your rest before the big walk. The first day from St Jean to Roncesvalles is a bugger.
Feb 14th, 2014, 12:38 PM

If the schedule for a train hasn't come out yet by SNCF for the summer, no one else can give it to you. Because SNCF is the only official source and where everyone else gets their info (I find www.bahn.de pretty useful and quick just to find schedules).

However, I would find it believable that an unusual train like that only operates a couple days a week. Most people don't really want to take overnight trains, it takes too much time up and usually isn't any cheaper than flying (and can cost more).

I did find the SNCF schedule for that line, though, and it runs through July 5th, luckily.
this is it http://www.intercites.sncf.com/resou...4/FichePdf.pdf

The issue why you can find some Sat is that it really varies by month and time of the year, the footnote on that train says that. It is mainly M,F and Sunday (and holidays) part of the year, but it is daily between 4/12 and 5/12 and between 2/15 and 3/17. That's why you can find some.

But I think you are out of luck by the footnote, that train doesn't seem to run on certain dates, 5/28, 6/10 and your date, 7/5. So you can't take it to Bayonne on 7/5. Just look at the schedule for 5/28 and 6/10 and it will be the same for 7/5 in terms of that Intercites Nuit train.

I think this is that line's website http://www.intercites.sncf.com/ligne...ye-irun-tarbes
Feb 15th, 2014, 04:17 AM
Original Poster

Upon further investigation I have managed to find a connecting flight from Paris to Bayonne. It won't leave me time to actually see anything besides CDG in Paris, but will save time.
Thanks for the advice.

Search this Thread