Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

ADVICE NEEDED!!! from anyone who has experienced the Perigord area of the Dordogne, France: food, beauty, places to walk!

Search

ADVICE NEEDED!!! from anyone who has experienced the Perigord area of the Dordogne, France: food, beauty, places to walk!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3rd, 1998, 10:08 PM
Carol Boutard

My family will be visiting the Dordogne (near Perigueux) and need the benefit of your experience. Any memorable, beautiful, delicious places that you loved? Any places that you hated? Any restaurants? Any great market towns?

Old Jun 3rd, 1998, 11:04 PM
Donna

If you'll e-mail me directly, I'd be happy to put you in touch with an incredible expert in this area of France who would be delighted to assit you.

Old Jun 3rd, 1998, 11:18 PM
jan

If you haven't already get a copy of the michelin green guide to Perigord and Quercy, I have found their guides very useful on my numerous trips to France, they tell you of places that are "must sees" and places that are worth a detour. As for where I like, well Bergerac is lovely, and I suppose Sarlat is worth a visit though it is rather touristy now compared to 20 years ago! The food in the area is very good and if you avoid the very touristy areas it it possible to eat well and cheaply, if I think of anything else I will post another email.

Old Jun 4th, 1998, 03:18 AM
greg

I can recommend the restaurant at the Hotelerie de l'ecluses about 9 kms out of Perigueux - not cheap, but superb food. I wouldn't be too concerned about places being too touristy - we are all tourist when we visit and the crowded places are generally popular for a good reason. Sarlat is a lovely town , but it will be crowded in summer. If you can get to Peche Merle there are some wonderful caves with pre-historic art, and St Cirque la Popie is beautiful. I agree Bergerac is attractive. Views of the Dordogne from Beynac, Domme and Castelnaud are spectacular on a clear day.
Have a great time

Old Jun 5th, 1998, 09:09 AM
Joe

Sarlat is beautiful and especially nice on Saturday, which is market day. The feel of the place changes then. We met an elderly woman getting off the bus on a Saturday in September '95, holding a basket of leeks in one hand and a live rooster by its feet in the other.

Old Jun 5th, 1998, 12:04 PM
Carol Leventhal

The Dordogne is a gorgeous region, with gentle hills, two rivers for canoing or rafting, not that many visitors, etc. We stayed just outside le Bugue for a two week period a few years back. We loved a little restaurant at the far end of town named les Trois --- something ---aces, as in cards, I think. It is a husband/wife owned and operated small restaurant. They were quite accommodating to my husband's low fat diet - yes, in France! You'll have too many choices for however long you'll be there...great region, great eats. Carol L

Old Jun 5th, 1998, 02:58 PM
kam

The French Tourist Board has a web site and they do a fantastic job of mailing out free maps, brochures and hotel/restaurant recommendations. Agree with the Michelin Green Guide too. Truffles, oui?

Old Jun 5th, 1998, 08:34 PM
Dave

Rockamadeur is worth a trip.

Old Jun 19th, 1998, 07:15 PM
Carol

Jan- <BR>Thanks for your suggestions. have been looking for the Michelin guide, but France is popular this year! Your note made us very sure that we were going to the right spot, especially as we are embarking on the planting of a chestnut orchard and need to learn more about French varieties and general care and harvesting techniques.

Old Jun 19th, 1998, 07:20 PM
Carol

Thank you, everyone, for giving me such great advice. We will feel very much more prepared and focussed as we arrive. I still find internet forums quite intimidating. Thanks for your patience with my slow reply. CB